1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Max Kellerman says James Harden is the 7th best player in the NBA.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dmo, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

We talkin 'bout Kellerman. Probably slipped to 8th.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Right now Harden's the best player in the NBA. He quit in the Spurs series & had 13 turnovers against GS before that, but in 2018 we are watching the best player in the NBA hands down. He's better than Lebron James & it's not close nor has it been the last 2 seasons. The media can keep crapping on his game, but NOBODY has done what he's doing right now

s3ts, ryano2009, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. realonemo

realonemo Member

I can see Kawhi but there is no way I'm ready to put AD or Giannis ahead of James.They haven't accomplished ****. AD's team is 15-20 foh and he has won only 1 playoff series. 1 !!! The way I have it ranked Lbj, KD, Steph, Kawhi, James. I think it's really close with the last 3.

s3ts likes this.
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Is it really shocking?? Curry is like a ball handling and shooting magician, it’s appealing and mesmerizing to watch, the type of stuff no one here or on the planet can realistically do. That’s why we love watching it.

While Harden’s numbers are next level, the way he goes about doesn’t necessarily inspire, nor is it particularly entertaining, especially when compared to guys like Curry or Kyrie or Westbrook. Comparatively speaking, Harden’s game is boring, and most of what he does looks like stuff most folks could do.

People here far too often forget that this is entertainment to 90% of those that watch. The general public doesn’t give a damn how efficient Harden is, they want to watch super heroes drain fall away 35’ foot bombs and drives to the hoop spinning through defenders and reversing it off the glass.

Let’s not be naive here.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you mean averaging 32 points a game mulitple 40 point games even a 50pt trip dub "looks like stuff most folks could do"

its not simply harden's "style"

its about houston or the rockets

if harden was in gs, la, or ny avging 32 a game everyone will be all over his nuts

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Mr. Space City

most folks can't hit 38% of their 3's primarily highly contested, off the dribble, and unassisted.

hakeem94, Obito and Reeko like this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can’t see Kawhi. Kawhi can’t carry a team like Harden. Steph isn’t better than Harden either. I used to think KD was better, but if u put him on a squad like this current Rockets team he would not be able to shoulder the burden that Harden has. Whenever Curry is injured and GS has to be led by KD, they morph into an average team. People kill Harden for not beating GS in game 7 by himself, but KD choked away a 3-1 series lead to a worse version of GS while having another top 10 player by his side.

8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i didn't say it was what he was doing, i said how he was doing it doesn't garner much awe. and it doesn't. this thread is living proof.

except that's total blind houston homer bulsh!t... if being in a big market was so crucial why do players like westbrook and giannis and embiid get so much love? how did lebron become a megastar playing for cleveland of all places???

face it, this isn't a phony "us against the world" narrative with no reasonable explanation... too many here just love playing the helpless victim card, as if mysterious forces are the only thing holding us back. i've heard more than one national talking head/blogger/podcaster flat out say they don't like harden bc his game is slow, ugly, and boring. and as much as you wish that weren't true, it is... nevermind that he's the most efficient scorer the league has ever seen. the vast vast VAST majority of viewers don't care for it.

but you know what, if you want to prove that's it's simply some vast anti-houston conspiracy please go ahead.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Harden has had 57 isolation possessions the past 2 games against the defenses of OKC and BOS, but according to Max, it’s D’antoni’s system that is making him better than he actually is...

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

This quote is crazy. I get that his game can be mistaken as boring. But he is doing things no one else has ever done and that’s why no one likes him.

The way he draws fouls is an art.

The way he waits to gather the ball at last second to get and extra step is an art.

He shoots 40% on step back threes. Most players can barely shoot that on wide open spot up threes. He changing the game in front of your eyes are you are seeing more and more people shoot it.

hakeem94 and Obito like this.
  11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

BigDog63 says Max Kellerman is the 7th best personality on First Take.

Seems legit.

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

BigDog63 says Max Kellerman is the 17th best personality on ESPN. Seems legit.

To be honest, it's not easy being that wrong all the time, and still be employed. He has skillz, but he's the guy on your team whose job is to annoy all the other players and fans. Which is what those shows do...which is why I stopped watching them LONG ago. If I want to listen to someone screech all the time, I'll get a bird.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How many players in the league have a dribble up step back 29 footer that is a bonafide weapon?

Literally nobody. In history

I dont really get the criticism that much. Harden is now taking and making shots that we were all agog at Curry making a few years ago and he's creating them all himself.

Harden's game is crossovers, drives, layups, the occasional hammer dunk facial to send a message, and long closely guarded threes, mixed in with alley oops and hyper elite passing and playmaking. Like literally every single year, Harden can decide to lead the league in scoring or assists. he can choose to do this!

Putting aside the fouls, because you literally cannot stop this man, where is the exciting element that people are lacking here? I mean Harden is basically streetballing it but at a galactic elite level, with style. Hes bigger than Curry of course and not the same level of pure shooter, but he does so much more anyway

Do we really want to see more post ups. Midrange floaters, or catch and shoot off a screen because that's "more exciting"? How?

I have a theory which is that whatever Harden does is deemed boring by his critics because it is Harden doing it.

Deckard, Deuce, heypartner and 4 others like this.
  14. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Before D'Antoni got here Harden was averaging 29.0ppg and 7.5apg ...so how is his system boosting his stats

Reeko likes this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You know, the Dantoni system - that the entire league adopted 7 years ago.

Anyway all that stat inflating pace!

Rockets are among the top 28 fastest teams in the entire league.

Reeko, hakeem94 and Erbnwarfare like this.
  16. Sajan

Sajan Member

When Harden was the only one doing it ..media and players: stepback 3 = traveling...whayyyy whayyyy

Now: every player is adding stepback 3 to their arsenal.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you sure harden in purple & gold will be as hated as he is here?

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS

ppl really hold it against harden that he almost never had a star teammate and consider other players better just because they always play with at least 2 allstars alongside
    IT IS ABSURD

Reeko likes this.
  19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Basketball Reference MVP Tracker has him at #2 right now, slightly edging out Kawhi. Giannis is the heavy favorite, and rightfully so right now.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Kawhi sits out like every other game this season. Ridiculous he's even considered.

Giannis is the deserved favorite

hakeem94 likes this.