1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs turning attention to Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HR Dept, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

Or it could just be bad business for the Rockets to make Parsons play out that contract when he's exceeded it since he's came into the NBA. That would be a crap move by the Rockets and could also Pzzz him off and he can just walk next year. At least this way the Rockets have some type of control.

2. SunsRocketsfan

umm chandler has made pennies when compared to other NBA players. Dirk is an established vetran who has won a championship, made his millions and is content with his career. Quite a different situation. How can you hate chandler for doing what 99.9% of us would also do if we were in his situation?

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I didn't forget that. With those moves made, they have something like 15 million in cap space if they renounce both Marion & Carter. If they are able to get Carter re-signed at the vet min, it doesn't quite get them to the full 15 million they need to max out Parsons, but it gets them closer since the vet min is about 1/4 of what Carters cap hold was. Giving them something between 13 - 14 million to offer Parsons potentially instead of the 10 to 12 million I was thinking they could realistically offer.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>What I think happens (if LeBron leaves Mia): withdraw QO to Parsons, Bosh signs w/ Hou around max, match market on Parsons (who stays).</p>&mdash; Michael Dugat (@mdug) <a href="https://twitter.com/mdug/statuses/486238455836311552">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If Bosh is in hand, what real risk is there on withdrawing Parsons QO (and maintaining Bird Rights)? If he has desire to stay, he will.</p>&mdash; Michael Dugat (@mdug) <a href="https://twitter.com/mdug/statuses/486239426805108736">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>If not, unless he's open to a SnT to Miami for Bosh or Bosh takes less to keep him restricted, he's gone anyway.</p>&mdash; Michael Dugat (@mdug) <a href="https://twitter.com/mdug/statuses/486239718816768001">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

By being patient, Parsons will have a chance to play for a contender and get paid(it just wont be a bad contract for Houston)...If Parsons believes he cant trust Morey, and signs the offer sheet by the Mavs, I can really see the Rockets saying thanks but good luck in Dallas. Losing Parsons for nothing is better than being locked in a bad contract, with legit stars that become available in the market either via trade or free agency.

1 person likes this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

You know who shouldn't feel loyalty... Jer... just kidding.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't see how it is a "crap move"-- Nobody forced Parsons to sign the contract. And while I am sure Parsons likes being paid, he is smart enough to know that teams picking up a cheap team option happens many times every season in the NBA and is nothing to get angry about.

Every first round draft pick's contract, for example, has 2 team option years, which are routinely picked up when the players out-play the rookie scale. The Rockets have also picked up cheap team options on other former 2nd round picks and undrafted players like Dragic, Budinger, Greg Smith, and so on.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

So that he can backup Batum?

9. HCA

HCA Member

Youre forgetting dan fegan represents parsons. He pays fegan to look out for his best interests. And if his best interest means he has to threaten to leave (to the highest bidder not the rockets) if they do pick up his final year once it is over then he will. That is what a smart agent would do. He can say parsons deserves more, and does not want to risk injury. This forces the rockets to do what they did. I dont like the move because i like next years free agents. We are now left with this years class and it is all or thothing.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If the Rockets can get Bosh or Melo it would actually be better for them to take the bad Parsons contract. Once you get either of those two you are capped out for the next few years anyways. The extra money they are paying Chandler will likely only hurt Les's pocked book in the end so you are better off over paying in that situation.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I've just seen nothing to imply that Parsons has any desire to leave Houston.</p>&mdash; Michael Dugat (@mdug) <a href="https://twitter.com/mdug/statuses/486246249402605570">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Who is Michael Dugat?

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

One season? How do you think the Lakers got some of those championships? A career of good defense means nothing? Defensive metrics are bit more dubious than offensive metrics and hence Morey has an offensive juggernaut that bowed out in the first round.

Trevor's stats offensively speaking will always be dependent on who is on the team because he is not a facilitator. On the Rockets, he would crush the three point line. Not to mention that Pat, Trevor, and Dwight would crush it on defense.

14. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

Yahoo Sports guy

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

considering the inevitable increase in cap space by 2016...the Rockets arent gonna be too pressed to avoid paying luxury tax for a year or two...and people have already informed me...Les is willing to pay for a championship contender...

16. micah1j

micah1j Member

so if No Bosh and we turn to Love trade which includes Parsons, can we get a FA 3 before the trade? Or does the Love trade include Lin for Kevin Martin? Can Kevin Martin play the 3?

17. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Great post and I completely agree, there has to have been communication directly involving Parsons and Morey's plans before he even became a RFA. The rising cap is key here and I never considered that option + you know Morey is all on top of that information as well.

18. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

How many days do you have to match on a RFA contract? Is it 3 or 7?

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3 I think

20. Remii

Remii Member

How often do you see "good players" play out the length of their rookie contracts and become unrestricted free agents regardless of what round they got drafted in...??? Parsons has All-Star type hype. Guys like Budinger and Dragic spent the better part of their 1st few years on the bench and or as backups... Parsons was a day one starter from jump. There's no comparison there.

Is a common practice for teams to allow their top young players to become restricted free agents. And plus Parsons has been bugging Morey for more money for the past couple of years. I don't think it's as complicated and diabolical as you're making it out to be.