1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs turning attention to Parsons

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HR Dept, Jul 7, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

<strike>Bobcats</strike>Hornets beat:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I keep getting asked about Chandler Parsons. Nothing else Rockets do negates their ability to re-sign him.</p>&mdash; Rick Bonnell (@rick_bonnell) <a href="https://twitter.com/rick_bonnell/statuses/486566317688754176">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>He is. They can. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/egar1587">@egar1587</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> Troy Daniel still a RFA? if bosh is sign can rockets still sign Parsons n Daniels?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/486566712079564800">July 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

yikes lol. Man of Deal. Rockets FO seem really confident though.

4. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

why surprising? big fish come first, then all the other guys fall into place. it's a waiting game atm, but i think in the new few days we might hear something....july 10 is the first day to sign a contract right?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Parsons a gamble for Bulls as backup plan

[rQUOTEr]It always seemed like Houston would end up matching whatever offer materialized for the restricted free agent. But if the Rockets end up landing Chris Bosh, maybe the game changes for a team like the Bulls. At 25, Parsons is sure to have many suitors -- the interesting aspect of his deal, as my colleague Tim MacMahon from ESPNDallas.com noted, is that any team that signs Parsons to an offer sheet may then have to wait three full days to see if the Rockets would match the offer.

If James still hasn't made his decision in a few days and Bosh is waiting to see what happens, would a team like the Mavericks or Bulls be willing to gamble on signing Parsons to the offer sheet, in the event that Anthony picks a team?

There are a lot of moving pieces in this scenario, but it's hard to envision the Bulls making that choice knowing that they may not end up with any of their targets if they tie up their money in the offer for three days and then Houston ends up matching anyway.

Parsons would fill a huge need for the Bulls in the form of outside shooting, but would the Bulls be willing to create enough cap space to land him? According to ESPN capologist Larry Coon, the Bulls would have about $13 million in available cap space if they amnesty the final year of Carlos Boozer's deal and trade Mike Dunleavy. With Nikola Mirotic's arrival looming on the horizon, the Bulls wouldn't even come close to offering Parsons a competitive offer if Mirotic wants somewhere between $6 million-$8 million.

As Coon noted, the Bulls can't offer Parsons the same kind of "poison pill" contract the Rockets offered former Bull Omer Asik because Parsons has already been in the league for three years and is not bound to the same contract restrictions. Plus, if the Mavericks, or another team swoop in to sign Parsons to a big offer sheet, then the Bulls are out of contention anyway. Parsons is a close friend of Bulls center and fellow Florida product Joakim Noah, but that tight bond probably isn't going to be enough to bring him to Chicago.[/rQUOTEr]

6. dje243

dje243 Member

Mavs fans are pissing their pants over Parsons. They really think we'll just let him walk away! At this point I want him to stay just to shatter their hopes and dreams.

7. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

It's hilarious how clueless they are. They're so eager for us to sign Bosh so that Parsons can head on over.

8. dje243

dje243 Member

I live in DFW and I can tell you that even the radio guys out here know NOTHING about the cap or how it works. They have their heads in the sand!

9. dje243

dje243 Member

Aside from that though, the sports radio situation in DFW is FAR superior to anything available in Houston. So don't hear me say the guys suck. They just don't know what they're talking about when it comes to basketball.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Sports radio in Austin is a joke as well

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We have sports radio? Heck, there isn't even anything to laugh at. :-(-

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's believable.

Sports radio in Houston is almost unlistenable.

I like 790 better than 610, maybe because, as the "Rockets station", they have to acknowledge the city has an NBA team. But even then I'm stuck with Charlie Palillo in the afternoon, whose cynicism and lack of real salary-cap knowledge is breathtaking.

"What if we don't get Melo? OR Bosh? OR so-and-so? And then in the meantime some team like Dallas just swoops in and signs Parsons to an offer sheet and takes him away, while we were star-chasing?"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, Charlie. Dallas will swoop in like Buckbeak and steal Parsons. Riiiiiight.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We are more likely to Parsons if we don't get Carmelo out Bosh.

14. Showtyme11

Showtyme11 Member

1300 the zone is terrible I miss Houston sports radio

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Devin Harris is a decent point guard. Felton most likely isn't. So, what Mavs need is another decent point guard, to take Harris' space at the back up PG spot.

Be interesting to see what Rockets would do if Mavs (or someone else) did make a good offer to Parsons. Especially if Bosh comes over (and don't see why he wouldn't given the offer), are Rockets really going to match a $10+M offer? Easy to say they will, much harder to actually do.

I also live in Dallas, and agree completely. Their basic lack of understanding of anything approaching reality, even beyond the cap, is rather breathtaking. The only one with any real insight is Chuck Cooperstein.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, they've never come close to a zone. Heck, they wouldn't know a zone if one slapped them in the face.

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Listen to sports 790 on IHeart radio. I listen every day at work, it's great.

18. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

touche!

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's in Houston, mikol! :-D-

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure there are plenty of teams out there that have no shot at the big FA's that would love to get a hold of Parsons.