1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs to make play towards Paul?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JayGoogle, Apr 10, 2009.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

2. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

As much as I dislike Cuban, I really really really have to give him props for being a pretty awesome owner.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

As inept as the Hornets are they would be completely brain dead to gamble with CP3's future like this.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hornets will never deal CP3....

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Suppose New Orleans front office was gonna do something dumb like that for a conference rival. If New Orleans fans are barely watching them now with Chris Paul, who on Dallas now would make the fans want to watch them?

Plus Dallas doesnt have much any contract favorable players to trade to New Orleans thats better than than what they already have. It'd just be a bad salary swap.

Peja's a terrible contract, maybe Tyson Chandler. But Erick Dampier and Jason Terry's matching contracts arent much better. I only see Dirk + Josh Howard expiring after next season for Paul + whoever working in New Orleans favor. So if thats what Dallas wants to do...

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I love how Cuban calls up New Orleans like he's doing them a favor here. "Hey, Hornets GM, I gotta say, I LOVE what you're doing down there in the Big Easy, and I would HATE for it to all go to waste....so here's what I'm gonna do.....I'll give you Josh Howard, trust me fans here will HATE to see him go, Devean George, another fan favorite, AND JJ BAREA all for Chris Paul's HUGE ALBATROSS CONTRACT, and you can even throw in some other bad contracts.....seriously, this is from one friend to another....I would do this for no one else..."

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

This is the same team that dealt Baron Davis for Speedy Claxton and Dale Davis. With George Shinn as the Hornets owner, I cannot rule out that they would do something that stupid just to save some bucks.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Mavs would have to trade Dirk, Terry, Romo, Witten, Barber, and Howard to get Paul. No way the Hornets trade Paul.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

XD! That's what I see it as. "Hey man...I got this sweet deal for you. It's going to help out the Mavericks sure, but think what it could do FOR YOU!"

@3.0- If the Hornets actually even consider this crap, i'd be disappointed if I didn't hear the Rockets getting in on this...i'm sure if news got out that the Hornets were considering this move 98% of the NBA would be throwing deals their way. But yeah...the Hornet's owner isn't exactly the owner you respect, he's been a money first guy for as long as i've known. That should be obvious with the Chandler deal.

Still though...I think trading Chris Paul would hurt the team financially more than help it. The fans would feel like they were slapped in the face and wouldn't really have a reason to watch the team.

10. lalala902102001

The Hornets did try to give away Chandler for nothing, so you never know.

New Orleans is a horrible NBA market. They don't deserve to have a good team like the Hornets.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Hornets are in serious financial trouble, who knows what they will do if thier back is against the wall.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

But Baron Davis was oft-injured and b****ing about everything. Paul ain't there.

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Mark Cuban

Memo to all NBA owners

"hey all NBA owners you wanna save some big bux??? I'm totally willing to collect all da guys with MASSIVE CONTRACTS they THEY TAKE UP HUGE PLAYTIME and HAVING SO MANY SHOTS!! think of how awesome if those minutes went to the rookies and how they will develop? I'm willing to suffer the gigantic cash, playtime, touches, extra jersey manufacturing so you don't have to!!! As much as I don't want to I feel a great sense of integrity and courtesy to do so...so give me all your Shaq's, Chris Paul's, Amare's, all to me!!! I'll even pay for the airfare!"

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

read an article this season that they've sold about 99% of their ticket capacity for the season.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I also knew of this. I think this is a direct result of a massive combined effort of the NBA and city of New Orleans and the Hornets org to try as hard as possible to make it work. Oh, and CP3 helps.

I don't know where to stand on this. Well, I guess I hope it lasts, because before Katrina, the Hornets were LAST in attendance. Maybe it was a failure of their marketing department Maybe their fans are just all into them now because of a new spirit. Whatever the case, I'm curious as to how long this Hornets love fest will last.

Trying to give Tyson's contract away was a bad sign though.

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Can you explain to me what Cuban has done that makes him an "awesome" owner?

When Cuban bought the team, they already had: Nowitzki, Finley, Nash and Don Nelson as their coach. The team finished 40-42 in the year in which Cuban had purchased the team deep into the season. They were clearly on the upswing.

What has Cuban done since then? He's made one really shrewd move, when he traded Jamison for Stackhouse and the rights to Devin Harris...which he then proceeded to muck up when he traded Harris for Jason Kidd. Of course, he let Steve Nash go for being too old in the first place...

17. coldsweat

coldsweat Member

yeah but there's a difference between chris paul and tyson chandler. chandler has been severely critiqued by hornets fans this season for not playing with heart his season, and some were even satisfied with the okc trade. he's not playing up to his $10 million/year contract.

chris paul, on the other hand, is beyond reproach from hornets fans. an mvp candidate who is the face of the franchise, the hornets wouldn't dump him.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

List of players New Orleans would trade CP3 for:

Lebron James

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

April Fool's has already passed. This makes absolutely no sense.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member