1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs sign Chandler Parsons to 3-year, $46M offer sheet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 9, 2014.

1. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Ever since he signed with Fegan, nothing was the same.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you eliminate the LOFs, TOFs, and YOFs from Clutchfans, you have utopia

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, shet does happen to you too.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He may not want to stay...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Chandler Parsons has removed his twitter background and header image which used to feature him in a Rockets jersey!</p>&mdash; Basketball Forever (@Bballforeverfb) <a href="https://twitter.com/Bballforeverfb/statuses/487140106583552000">July 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The timing of the signing and the team he's signing with, makes me really wonder how that meeting went with Morey and what was discussed. Also makes me wonder which teams really had concrete interest in Chandler now to give him this kind of offer. Also makes you wonder how fond Chandler really is of the Rockets / Mavs team and organisation. Lots of unanswered questions, but by the looks of it, either Morey said go look for a better deal and he did knowing he would match and is out of the Bosh / Melo sweepstakes OR they wanted him to wait and Chandler figured he would take the best deal available just because - that OR they were never going to match and Chandler just figured F - that.

6. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Heard he was clubbin with Cuban

7. sutton

sutton Member

If I understand the CBA correctly, once Parsons sign the offer with mavs, the 15m cap holder is on, therefore rockets can't sign BOSH without reannounce the right to match Parson's contract, right?

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Cap hold is placed upon the Mavs, not us. However, Parsons cap hold on our roster is slightly increased (but we can still offer Bosh a substantial amount of money)

9. Boughtit

Boughtit Member

Today is going to be a gut check day for the Rockets.

10. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I criticize one thing and suddenly I look for any reason to bash him. Why do you and a lot of others keep labeling people whose opinion differs from yours? One cannot say one good or bad thing about Lin without immediately being called LOF or LOH...same with Harden, Parsons and apparently Morey. Calm down people.

And involved him in trade talks with Love, after declaring him one of the untouchables. Then he let him out of his contract one year early.

Do you really think Morey let him out of his contract because he was being loyal to his player? Because he wanted to do him a favour? Morey's employer is Les, not Parsons or Fegan. Morey declared HOU will match any offer Parsons receive, while trying to make a lowball offer to Parsons and risking losing Parsons for nothing in free agency. It was a huge gamble by Morey and right now it seems like he will find himself on losing side of it.

So why exactly would Parsons show any loyalty to Morey by not signing any offer and taking less money while knowing he'll get treated like nothing more than an asset and traded in an instant if the right trade comes up?

11. sutton

sutton Member

thanks a lot,

12. Boughtit

Boughtit Member

Yes lots painful pics :(

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Slutty or kinky

14. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

The only regret they can have about not giving it all for Houston is they didn't raise their value for the next contract. Let's list a few players that gave their all for Houston and how did Morey treat them, shall we?

Scola (waived)
    Asik in his first year (relegated to bench and then traded)
    Lin (I think no explanation is necessary)
    Brooks (traded)
    Dragic (lowball offer)
    etc...

And that's just last two years. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about our team and will give props to Morey each time he makes a great move. I just don't like the means to an end...

15. puppytigers

puppytigers Member

I don't agree with this view. I think it was a good move for Parsons to sign the Mavs' offer, both money-wise and winning-wise. Let's not forget, the Mavs pushed the NBA champions to 7 games, while we couldn't force a game 7 against a team that got eliminated in 5 games in the second round.

We do not have the whole "family" atmosphere that the Spurs have, and we have never held ourselves out to be a "family" instead of a business. When Morey responded to the whole Lin-jersey-number debacle by saying that the NBA is a business and should be treated as such, how can we then turn around and claim that Parsons should give us a hometown discount?

Players like Patty Mills are willing to accept less because they know that Pop will take care of them, both in terms of personal development, and in terms of not wearing them out in a long-term career sense. Parsons ran the longest distance out of the entire NBA at one point in the last season, and he played the most minutes for a high-tempo team whose coach uses an eight-man rotation. With the Mavs, he will be playing for a coach that has so far managed to allow Dirk to play at an elite level even at 36.

Long story short, I agree with the argument that others have stated in this thread - we cannot expect our players to be loyal to us if we aren't loyal to them first. We should also have some perspective of where we stand in the league - we have not yet reached the stage where free agents will be willing to take less money to play for us.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No need I was talking exclusively about Lowry and his article where he stated he did not give McHale a chance, man.

Players will regret leaving the Rockets too soon. I know Morey does things his way but that does not change the fact that the Houston Rockets are one of the best organizations out there.

Should be Top 5-8 IMHO.

Again Chandler is pretty good but he is not an Allstar yet, nor a Star or a Superstar. We should get over him if he leaves.

But he will be regretting going to the Mavs because the Rockets are the better Franchise.
    I could understand if it were for the Spurs but Spurs won't pay that kind of money.

17. Hou Utd

Hou Utd Member

Didn't Cuban say that he was not going to offer any max deals?

18. sutton

sutton Member

https://twitter.com/LarryCoon

Larry Coon @LarryCoon · 5h
    So to get Bosh at max AND keep Parsons, Daryl Morey just needs to dump Asik, Lin, Jones AND Motiejunas with no salary coming he other way,
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 85 times85 FavoriteFavorited 26 times26
    More

Larry Coon @LarryCoon · 6h
    To keep Parsons' rights & still sign Bosh to max, they have to dump another $3,732,744 in guaranteed salary. That's Jones AND Motiejunas.
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 45 times45 FavoriteFavorited 12 times12
    More

So let's renounce Capela & Parsons. Cap room rises to $19,279,451. STILL short of a max offer, and they don't have rights to Parsons.
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 30 times30 FavoriteFavorited 4 times4
    More

..With that configuration, they can give Bosh $16,427,992. Pretty short of his $20,644,400 max.
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 49 times49 FavoriteFavorited 20 times20
    More

...Beverley, Covington & Powell. They keep QO to Parsons & Capela's draft rights. They have Dwight, Harden, Jones, Motiejunas & Canaan.
    ReplyReplied to 0 times RetweetRetweeted 37 times37 FavoriteFavorited 8 times8
    More

So let's do some math. Suppose Houston dumps Lin & Asik with $0 coming back. They renounce Daniels, Garcia & Hamilton. They waive Casspi

19. Oracle

Oracle Member

Haven't had time to read all the posts so I apologise if this is repetition. The way I understand this is very simple. Morey went out to play hard ball to get one more star player. Putting Parsons there as a RFA was supposed to allow Parsons signing beyond the cap. It could not be done next year as a FA. There was only one problem that now became a reality. Because of the LBJ and Melo waiting game, Morey has not been able to sign that third star player (because Bosh is waiting for LBJ). If he needs to sign Parsons first he can't sign anything after that. If he doesn't sign Parsons, he's faced with the problem that he will not have a star player nor Parsons. In other words, Morey at the moment is somewhere between the wall and the wall paper.

20. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Somewhere James Dolan is jumping with joy.
    Karma is a biatch :(