1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mavs payroll vs rockets payroll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yellaman, Jan 16, 2007.

1. yellaman

yellaman Member

I heard bill worrell mention during the game that the mavs payroll was in the 90 mil dollar range.....how is that?? If so, why doesn't the rockets owner spend as much as cuban?? The mavs have a new building like the rockets, if anything, the rockets owner should have more money from all the revenue coming in from china and overseas!! The mavs come off the bench with stackhouse, devin harris, devin george, etc....we come off the bench with chuck hayes, come on lex alexander, spend some money!!

2. yellaman

yellaman Member

les alexander i meant.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Mavs owner, Mark Buttface Cuban is a multi-billionaire. Rockets owner, Leslie Alexander doesn't even come close in terms of personal wealth.

4. TRAVLR

TRAVLR Member

Rockets management has a philosophy of not exceeding the salary cap so as not to pay two dollars for everyone over the cap.

I agree with this.

5. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

before the lock, i am in

6. R0ckets03

LOL. Why the hell do you agree with that? Is it your own personal money?

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

when you own a team u wont wanna pay luxury tax either

8. R0ckets03

yeah, but i dont own the team. for leslie it might make biz sense to not go over the cap, but as a fan i hope he does and could care less how much money he is making.

9. Hayes44

Hayes44 Member

Spending more doesn't get you a better team. The Knicks are in the 120 million range and the Sixers are paying 90 million. They both suck.

The Spurs and Suns are spending about what we are and they don't suck at all.

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Cuban - does whatever it takes to wins, tenacious businessman that takes risks

Alexander - conservative businessman who tries to win within the given 'rules'.

11. Nice Rollin

oh yeah. me too, but understand that he is a smart man and business comes first

12. Hayes44

Hayes44 Member

Make that 140 million for the Knicks.

13. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Mark Cuban doesn't mind paying $35 million extra if he can put such a great show on the floor every night

If we want to compete with the Mavs, we will need Bonzi or another perimeter player and a rebounding 4 to replace Juwan Howard

14. Nice Rollin

how about yao ming?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Mavs benefiitted more by being able to get Jason Terry for NOTHING, draft a guy like Howard in the LATE first round, and trade/sign for an underacheiving Stackhouse for an affordable deal.

They're over the cap because they extend these known commodites they acquire relatively cheaply. But, they didn't go out there and offer a blank check to a bunch of players to "buy" a championship... they still built this team.

Ironically, the only player they've virtually "bought" the last 3 years was Eric Dampier... and any Mavs fan will tell you that they'd be just fine without that "commitment to winning" by Cuban's $$$.

16. yellaman

yellaman Member

Les Alexander should not be the owner of a sports franchise if he's in it to make a profit. He should be in it to do whatever it takes to bring a title, well.....another title to the rockets. If that means paying an extra 20 million, do it!! he has all this revenue coming from overseas, he has the new arena, the luxury suites, come on, open your wallet!!!

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think we can help Les Alexander out. Start a tipjar for the Rockets. With every donation Les will use it to pay salaries above the salary cap. Don't be cheap, Rockets fans.

18. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

He plays with the Rockets

I was talking about having another scorer and a rebounder in addition to Yao

19. R0ckets03

maybe you can let leslie borrow a few mill?

20. yellaman

yellaman Member

How can the rockets compete with john lucas III playing backup pg minutes?? He's an nbdl player at best right now. Chuck hayes is a nice hustle player, but he should not be getting more that 15 mins per game. Deke and juwan are nice role players, but we need legit backups at the 4 and pg positions. What we have now is good enough to get us to the playoffs, but i want more. We'll see what happens when yao gets back, but i still say a move needs to be made at the backup pg position, les needs to open the wallet.