1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mavs fans talking ish on their boards: OT: Houston Rockets, where prospects go to die

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jun 29, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well we certainly need to trade away some power forwards, and fast. This is getting kind of hilarious. It's to the point where if things remain the same at the start of the season, we'll have first rounders unable to get playing time down in the D-League.

I wish that was a joke.

2. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The #1 way to have a bad draft is to draft for need. Morey drafts talent. It's no big deal about the current forward glut. Moving extra role players is one of the easier types of trades to make.

But yeah, it would have been more coherent for us to tank last year.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Cute but your little dig here does nothing to refute what the article is saying which is they now have a roster full of undersized PFs. However, it should be OBVIOUS to all of the folks here squealing and standing on the ledge that trades are coming. Now it just becomes a matter of what Morey can get for these guys and it may be months before anyone knows what the final roster will look like.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This is an utterly ridiculous statement after last night.

If you have three mid-round picks in an insanely deep draft, a borderline all-star, an, at times, above average swingman, and a few young players with good contracts that you could trade, and you can't turn those into earlier picks in the draft, or one early pick and one very good young player that you can rebuild with, that's a failure. That's a failure on the GM's part. No way you can blame the owner for that, unless he specifically told you not to do certain trades you had agreed upon.

If Morey wasn't going to get anything done last night, he frankly should have drafted for need. Drafting mediocre "best player availables" for the past three years has resulted in a log jam of forwards. Obviously, when you're stuck in mediocrity, you start to realize that at the middle of the first round, all of the good guards and centers are taken before the end of the lottery.

Sucks waking up angry, thinking how your team seemingly has no direction. Morey, make a move! So far, you've failed us all.

1 person likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fans don't understand what a GM is doing = Team has no direction

LOL

6. Two Sandwiches

We've sat around waiting to understand for three years. I guess I'm so disappointed because I thought last night would be the culmination of small move after small move to give us better trade chips. The small moves have been okay. It's the perpetual lack of swinging for the fences with something big (both in the draft and in trades) that has me down.

And the logjam of forwards.

7. justtxyank

You can't swing for the fences if the other teams won't make a deal.

8. Two Sandwiches

Classic BS.

I can't tell you who would have accepted what (or what we didn't accept), but I can tell you we have enough "assets" to have made something work. I guarantee you there were deals to be had. Apparently, there have been no teams willing to trade with us for the last three years, when it comes to a more substantial trade. If that's the case, Morey has been doing it wrong all along, and that in and of itself, is a failure.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sure, trades are coming. Is anyone denying that? Trades already came, by the way, the last two days that saw Budinger and Dalembert shipped out.

The point I made is that prospects "die" all the time with or without competition at their position. With an aging roster, young guys Beaubois and Jones had every chance to earn minutes if they develop. But they did not.

Mostly, prospect "die" in the NBA not because there's other talent on the roster, but because they just are not good enough.

10. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Quite true but you should have been more explicit with your response. Instead, it came off as some sort of quip intended to dismiss what the article was about by pointing out Dallas' draft failures. Now, I realize the level of Dallas hate on this board is at an all time high but that article was spot on about the logjam the Rockets have now created at the forward position. That's a fact that cannot be disputed and anyone looking at that would have to be scratching their heads as to WTF are the Rockets doing here.

11. justtxyank

Didn't need to read anything after this.

12. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

13. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Like Kahn with Pg ? :rolleyes:

14. conquistador#11

I doubt they were tanking when they had jimmy,jason and jamal. they just sucked at basketball collectively and a weakness for ladies named toni.

They can suck or tank as much as they like, but if there is no future hof in the draft it will not do any good. You need a lot of luck.

15. BEARCLAW

BEARCLAW Member

I thought Furkan Alademir was drafted by the Clippers?

... did Houston trade for him and I missed it?

16. SacTown

SacTown Member

The guy on the mavs board is 100% correct, actually.

17. Indaface

Indaface Member

I'll reserve knee-jerk reaction for now...but if all 3 of these guys are suiting up in training camp then i'll be uber-pissed.

18. Raven

Raven Member

How many all stars have we acquired since Morey was hired?

Has any player Morey drafted become an all star?

1 person likes this.
  19. Granville

Granville Member

Ridiculous to blame this on our owner. If he made a mistake it was hiring a nerd to run the team.

20. cogs

cogs Member

THIS!!! Maybe or maybe not what Morey did yesterday will work out. Maybe we will get talent. Unfortunately, Morey's track record for star talent is horrid. I have been a big fan of Morey in the past but I am tired of making excuses for him now. If he can't come up with a star this year I too will be calling for his head. I will reserve judgement till opening day. But I am NOT happy right now.

1 person likes this.