1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mattress recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasFight, Aug 19, 2012.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Looking to buy a new king-sized bed and have no idea as to what the best mattresses are. Thought I'd try crowd-sourcing it.

Anyone have mattresses they absolutely love and would recommend? Price really isn't an issue - quality and comfort are of the utmost importance.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If price is not an issue, I'd go with a TempurPedic.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

i read this in small font and thought it said "Mistress recomendations"

4. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

We were thinking about that, but my in-laws have one and said they get really hot with it. (I can't stand being hot when i'm sleeping). They are dumping it for something else.

We also tried one out yesterday at a mattress store and were not fans of the memory foam style.

5. tharges

tharges Member

Gallery has a nice line of matresses and they back them with a good warranty. I bought the temperpedic version and its fabulous. Good thread count sheets make a difference as well. I made the mistake of going to matress firm for a sale and pretty much got screwed on a matress, that i cant return. Mac at gallery is the best, if u have an issue they will replace it no questions asked.

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Tempurpedic is your best bet. I had also heard that they were hot, but it hasn't been an issue at all for us. Not once have I felt that it was too hot.

We bought a king size of the cheapest model they made a few years ago, and it's been awesome.

Prior to the Tempurpedic I had gone through several pillow top mattresses which eventually left indentions from where you sleep and end up being really uncomfortable.

7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

My wife and I just bought a new Serta iComfort mattress about 6 months ago. It's a foam mattress like Tempurpedic but is marketed to sleep cool. I can say that I have never slept hot in this bed and really like it.

My mom just bought one about a month ago as well and she has been happy with her purchase.

http://www.serta.com/icomfort-mattress-sleep-system-by-serta.html

#7 Master Baiter, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

I've never regretted the TempurPedics. Heat has been a non issue, though i use a thin cover (sold by Tempur) w/a vinyl feel that goes directly over the mattress - maybe that helps

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

11. body slam

body slam Member

Just remember no matter what you do in bed Sealy supports it.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have heard the 'heat' issue before and it has not been an issue for us. Macy's has a similar type of mattress, but I am not sure what it is called. If you have the opportunity to go to Macy's ask to try out their answer to the Tempurpedic.

13. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

We have a Stearns and Foster Silver Dream mattress and really like it.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

FYI : Naming mattresses makes no difference usually because a $1500 Watchamacallit is a $1200 Thingamajig somewhere else. Manufacturers take the same bed, call it something else and sell it at another store. This also kind of screws you over on pricematching since they can always say "it's not the same bed... this is a Riverboat.... that's a NightBarge....." Even though looking at them and lying on them, you know damn well it's the same mattress.

The funniest part at some of these mattress places is when they do the "car salesman routine" and have to call their manager to OK the deal for $600 under the retail price listed. Then they'll always come back with "ok, my manager ok'd the deal, but you have to give up something, too - will you be willing to buy a mismatched boxspring if I give you that price?"

15. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

wait, you can negotiate on mattresses like cars? i've never heard of that notion. i always assumed mattress purchases were like any other appliance at a big box store. :eek:

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I got my matress here - www.flobeds.com

Amazing mattress. Sleeps better than temperPedic, no heat issues, can personalize each side of the bed.

17. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Get a waterbed. The newer ones have several chambers that allow you to adjust the firmness. That's my goal for a new bed as soon as I can pay for it outright.

18. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Memory foam if you want softness (tempur-pedic); full latex if you still want firmness. Both are much better than coil-springs. I'm leaning towards latex myself since I sweat a lot when I sleep due to my household raising the A/C from my setting (too cold for them :mad:).

And yeah haggle. Mattress stores are usually ghost towns most of the time, so they have huge markups.

19. The Boz

The Boz Member

[​IMG]

20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Yu Me Bed!

We recently go the Yu Me bed from Mattress Firm and love it! It may sound gimicky but it has 4 built in fans and heating elements to cool and heat each half separately. It also has a similar memory foam material for softness. You can set each side at different fan strengths with timer before going to bed. In the summer I set it to 3 out of 5 fan levels with a 4 hour timer and get a great sleep! It is kinda pricey but at least the pillows and sheets are included at the above average price. Check it out: http://www.yumebed.com/.