1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Jackson says there is a new leader in the Rockets' point guard sweepstakes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yao ming, Jul 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

LOL, I've completely missed this thread for the past few hours. I guess I dismissed it because it sort of looked like an old thread popping up again. So I didn't get all excited like some of you guys did. Anyway, I don't know about NVE but something is definitely going to go down with GS. You don't sign fisher to a big contract when you already got NVE for 11 million or whatever his salary is. Maybe if we don't get Van Exel himself, we can still get involved in a deal when they move him and Dampier.

2. writhe

writhe Member

Sorry for the screaming:

MATT JACKSON BLOWS. HE'S A WASTE OF TIME.

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Matt Jackson is a member on here man. He greases his hair just like the rest us. He's a rabid Rocket fan, and you may disagree with him, you may say something about his mamma, you may wish to kick his dog, but don't ever say he blow's. Thats unacceptable. The clutchfan.net paddle may need to be brought out for your ass.

4. Man

Man Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but I'm confused...can someone please explain what is going on?

5. mdg

mdg Member

He did the same ****ty thing the day Jimy Williams was fired. Promo's were stating "exclusive interviews with Jimy Williams" all night. Interview was old sound clips with new stupid Questions added. Pissed me off what a jerk

6. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Matt Jackson promo's the show with "new leader in the Rockets' point guard sweepstakes." Then, when the show starts, he says, "If I'm the Rockets, Nick Van Exel becomes my #1 target."

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you sure? The CBA is very explicit on this subject.

Article XII, Section 3
    Section 3.Exercise Period.

Any Option or ETO must be exercised prior to the July 1 immediately prior to the Effective Season covered by such Option.

Jackson was wrong if he said NVE can still opt out. Or for that matter, would opt out of a deal paying him well over $10m.

8. omair

omair Contributing Member

So I guess no one is open to the idea of developing Reece Gaines into our starting PG. With him and McGrady in the backcourt, we'd have one of the tallest backcourts in the league. Any takers with me......? :confused:

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I like the idea, but I think you still need someone ahead of him that can take more of the minutes while he learns how to play the point in the NBA and how JVG wants him to play. Someone that can help groom him. I don't think Lue is that type of guy.

10. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. pelbeaini

pelbeaini Contributing Member

Van Exel is scheduled to make $11.8 million in 2004-05. His contract for the 2005-06 season is not guaranteed.

He can opt out of the 11.8 million but I doubt that he will, considering that he had surgery last season, and no one will risk that much on him.

And the NBA is a "business" like they say, that means it's business for both sides, nve will not drop all that money and I don't think les alexander will pay him that much.

So my suuggestion is forget about nick van exel playing in Houston in 2004-2005, or anywhere other than golden state.

Maybe we can get him in 2005-2006, because he lives in Houston, and he'll be affordable by then. and he said said that he would like to come back and play in texas.

-------today i was playing NBA on my Xbox, and i had traded T-Mac for stevie and the others, When The game between Orlando and houston came up, man i couldn't but play but with orlando. I couldn't imagine myself playing against stevie and the cat. Stevie scored 28 points and dished 15 assists, Cat had 36 points, Tmac started the game 1 for 11, and scored 17 points, most them came from the free throw line. and orlando won 106-89.

12. pelbeaini

pelbeaini Contributing Member

plus van exel cannot opt out this year anymore, the deadline was july 1st.

13. munco

munco Member

What he did was quite deceptive. Major league false advertising. Not appreciated.

14. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

IMO, Fisher is coming to Houston in a sign and trade. He wants to be with a contender, and would never sign with GS given their slim chances of winning in the near future. Has anyone heard Fish make any comments since the trade?? The quiter he is, the more likely a trade is going down...

15. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

Come on guys, NVE I believe would be a perfect fit for us....only his D is a question. He had a crappy year last yr b/c he wasn't happy there b/c he wasn't involved. Dallas had lots of stars when NVE played there and he thrived and I think he can here too.

You can't always look at stats, b/c NVE would bring veteran experience, excellent passing, 3 point shooting, and the ONE thing that wins games (what this site is named after!).......CLUTCH! He is getting old, but he only has 2 yrs remaining. IMO, he is a great fit. But the trade would work only if we package a player & TE for NVE and another GS player so I don't know how it would work. But nevertheless, he's a great fit.

16. M&M

M&M Member

Trade for NVE, then sign DJ for the TE. Please. And Thank you.

17. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

why would you want to trade for a 10 M$ a year player for one season ?!?!

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

That looks correct. Everywhere I've searched, I've come up with players that had until July 1st to opt out of their contracts.

First off I doubt he'd throw away the 2 years remaining at over $10 million/yr for out TE(~$7 mil).

Second, I'm pretty sure CD doesn't want to make the mistake of giving away a big contract to a guy on the downside of his career.

Take a look at Mike James. IMO he's the best of both worlds(NVA & DJ). He can score, grab a few boards, pass the ball(could improve with Yao and T-Mac) and do one thing NVE and DJ aren't known for, play defense.

19. christopherwg

christopherwg Contributing Member

What about a trade with GS where we send Mo and Pike for Fisher and Dampier?

20. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Because NVE could get the Rockets over the top if he stay healthy. Do you remeber NVE in the playoffs a couple years back with Dallas? He was awesome. Even if the Rockets only have him one year fine. Without NVE the Rockets will still make the playoffs, but with NVE they might make it to the Finals.