1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Jackson 610: Suggesting that MoTay for DA is ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I like our current squad.

Giving DA more than 20 minutes is too much....but getting rid of MoT would be a plus.

Why do I have the feeling that bringing DA here is going to create more drama than helping the squad?

#101 Rockets34Legend, Feb 14, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  2. mulletman

mulletman Member

given that his job is talk radio, one would hope that he would.

personally, i would rather keep Mo. come playoff time, the rockets need as many big bodies as they can get to go up against people like duncan, stoudemire, gasol, webber.

what happens when howard gets into foul trouble (which i'm sure will happen come playoff time)? not that mo plays great defense, but i dont think padgett can do much against these people. and weatherspoon isnt that great of an option either.

3. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

I think you have just summed up the problem quite nicely !

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

You know, the more I think about it, I'd rather them go get a combo-forward rather than ANOTHER combo-guard. But, that's me.

Cliff Robinson, Donyell Marshall, Eric Williams; just to name a few.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

There is close to no downside to doing this trade. DA gives us outstanding insurance. After all - Sura has a rickety knee.
    Tmad has a mild back problem history and ankle probs this year.

DA would be outstanding insurance and could keep spaz (Bowen) off the court. We would be well served to cut Tmac's minutes down to 40. Sura could use a break too, but that's been a problem b/c Strickland is just not the answer. DA and Barry are excellent backups.

Perhaps most importantly, DA is a good option to deal with tough assignments like Ray Allen, Joe Johnson, Manu Ginobli and Mobley. Wesley has been a freaking god on defense, but he is not that young anymore and it will be tough come playoff time.

As far as him complaining about minutes, he'd be the new guy to come to a team with a serious streak going. It's one thing for him to be unhappy playing behind Stouda, NVE and Telfair on a crap team. He can hardly come here and start demanding minutes when the Sura, Tmac, Barry, Wesley combo has done so well.

I cannot comprehend the reluctance by our fans to do this deal.

6. Rileydog

Also, there's nothing that MoTay offers that cannot be covered by our 3 headed PF. Howard is playing very well and Spoon is a good physical defender. Padget is Bullard plus hustle and some defense.

Taylor is not going to make a substantial contribution. DA could.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't believe the issue is what can you get for Mo, but -- is what you can get for Mo enough to pull the trigger?

8. New Jack

New Jack Member

Just knowing that we would no longer be paying over 20 mil for 3 mediocre power forwards would be reason enough for me to favor this trade.

Even with all of his injuries, Anderson is still more athletic than anyone on our team not named Mcgrady. A 3-guard rotation of DA, Wesley, and Sura would be solid.

9. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

The way I see it is that it gives you five guys (TMac, DA, Sura, Wesley, Barry) to cover three positions, still leaving four or five big men. I'd do it.

10. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Trading anyone else, I'd say we have enough DA's on this team already......but for Mo T, its a no brainer

11. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

DA should flournish again with minutes, and that would make him a tradable asset in the future. Mo will never be an asset, unless he gets minutes and has a near 6th man of the year season (like last year).

With Howards recent success, I bet we could throw a third team in the mix, and trade DA & JH for a tall rebounding PF. I personally think Mo could provide similar numbers to JH, if he was getting the minutes. Those two are very similar in skills. Mo & DA would not bring back much in a trade, but Howards recent success could fetch something better with DA.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

One of our biggest problems offensively this year has been our lack of a consistent 3rd option. It always makes you wonder who, if anyone, is going to step up and give us a solid 3rd option, or 2nd when Yao or T-Mac are resting. Whether it's Howard, Sura, Barry or Wesley....it's pretty much hit or miss.

I really believe that DA can be THAT guy. Whether it be starting or off the bench, this guy is a solid all-around player that could give us the spark we so badly need at times (Portland game for example).

I would like to see us use him off of the bench the way the Mavericks use Jerry Stackhouse. Only difference is DA isn't a defensive liability like Stack is so we can show confidence in the guy on both ends of the floor.

Bottom line is I will be very disappointed if this deal doesn't go through. I can see only positive things coming out of this deal for us. Le'ts make it happen!!

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the Rockets WOULD be interested in one of those combo-forwards. The problem is the ASSET that would bring them any of those guys. I am not sure we have the ASSET to bring them in. And of course I am talking about NOT parting with our 1st rounder.

So with that said, we DO have an asset in Taylor that might be able to bring us DA. And moving Taylor wont hurt our current chemisrty. Basically we add a quality player for NOTHING as far as the team is concerned. I would do it.

In addition to the short term positives like giving Sura and Tmac more rest time while a quaility player is in the game in DA, there are also long term implications for this move.
    1) It opens up a PF spot for either our 1st round pick/Badiane/or FA acquisition over the summer. We would HAVE to move one of our PFs if we were going to add another one.
    2) Barry is a FA at the end of the year. Will he stay? Go somewhere else? Who knows! And Wesley will be at the end of his deal after next season. So having DA here would at least give us some insurance in those areas.

Honestly, if we dont make the move for DA, what more do you expect we can do in a Taylor trade? I think this is as good as it gets. We trade one terrible contract for another. In many ways it is just the Moochie /Amechi for Spoon deal but in a much grander scale. I personally think DA is a better player than Mo (especially on THIS team) so I think it would be a great deal.

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think if you can do this deal....you do it.

Mo cant duplicate Howards numbers right now...maybe offensively, but Mo has shown himself incapable of snagging the boards that Howard has been getting lately. Howard's defense is also better than Mo's.

on the other side...DA's defense is on par or slightly below Wesley's..and he is taller.
    He can spell any one of our guards and do spot minutes at the 3...which is nice to have as insurance in case of injury..

Also, DA is a good enough player that if we needed to, we could use him as a asset to acquire a player to fill a position of need..

Contrary to what some folks say, Spoon is a perfectly adequate defender and rebounder...certainly better than Mo....

I say....do it.
    DA can help us in ways that Mo cant.

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I completely agree, and would certainly not be dissapointed if the trade went through. I just think we need more athleticm in the front court and it would be nice if that player can spell TMac some minutes. I think DA would be a good addition for all the reasons you stated and I agree that we may not have the assets to acquire one of those combo-forwards, but it's just something I wish they could pull off.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It looks like a good trade on paper, but I have a bad vibe about it. I get the feeling DA is going to cause us all sorts of chemistry problems and be a pain in the ass. And, his contract is the same as Mo's, so we get no cap relief from the deal.

17. Rileydog

this is something the rox could discuss with DA before the trade, to make sure he understands his role.

Also, consider that Wesley and Barry are on 1 year leashes. If one of them goes, it opens up room for DA. I could see him taking Wesley's spot next year. He has to consider that b/c he has a ways to go in his contract.

18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Barbourdg thats exactly what I would like to see us do. Maybe package DA and Howard for an athletic 4. What scares me more than anything come playoff time, is that our lack of athletism in the front court will be exposed. Howard is playing great, but maybe this is the exact time to trade him. I wonder what goodies in the east we could actually get for DA and Howard package.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If we do NOTHING Mo might cause us the very same chemistry problems you speak of. At least with DA he will WANT to be here. He will be new. He isnt going to come in expecting to get all of this PT because he is new and sees how the team is doing. He just wants to get the hell out of Portland and start fresh.

How long do you think Mo will be the "good soldier" sitting over there on the bench in street clothes seeing Padgett and Spoon getting all of his minutes? Why do you think they left him home on the last road trip even though for the most part he recently WAS traveling with the team?

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think that's worth noting. Spoon is limited but he can help us in some ways. He is surprisingly good at post defense in terms of boxing out and pushing out his defender before they get position. You would think taller PFs would take advantage of his height but he has a way of "leaning" on the offensive player to disrupt their shots. Spoon in short doses isnt bad with post defense.