1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Jackson 610: Suggesting that MoTay for DA is ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 13, 2005.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

dont you guys think its weird that portland is thinking of trading for a guy thats been busted smoking weed. i guess they will never learn.

anways from what i can tell this trade is almost even. saleries match. both are having down years. but you guys are saying that DA plays D pretty well so maybe he will fit into this team even better. and maybe he can up his shooting % a little with more open shots on the rockets.

i suppose i would do the trade.

also doesnt it look pretty bad for Motay if this trade doesnt go down with everyone knowing now that the Rox were trying to trade him but it wouldnt go through because Portland wouldnt pull the trigger.

:eek:

2. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

This is Worse then an Soap Oprea!.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

is derek anderson 6'4" or 6'6"? if he can't play any small forward than this trade is pointless because he'd only be taking time from two players(barry and wesley) who right now are significantly better. his only value would be as an upgrade to ryan bowen which would allow just a little more rest for t-mac.
    i understand that we trade mo, and believe me i'm all for it, but up to this point mo hasn't caused any problems that we know of. of course if he's still here after the trade deadline and getting no playing time i don't expect him to stay all too quiet. i guess my point is that what we most need in return for mo, is a backup 3 or another 4. is derek anderson a worthy backup 3?

4. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

I'm pretty ure his 6'5. DA's gam is more suited to the 2 spot then the three. His a solid defender, but he can take it to the rack and draw double teams or fouls. his also a very good shooter. he can play PG position with great Success. he has a good court vision and is willing to play in a team game plan!. if you're looking for a SF, then his not you're man. but if you're looking for a really soilid PG/SG his you're man!. i cant wait for us to get him to houston.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

I hope this means Strickland gets less play time.

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Years ago and only once. Mo's reputation as a pothead is so undeserved. The last time he got busted was the L's fault and they admitted as much when they gave back his lost wages.

I really like Mo, but he's obviously never going to fit in JVG's team. That's fine, it's working and I wouldn't want him to mess with it. Also I suspect Mo's a sour apple in the locker room, so he probably needs to get moved. Since we're not going to move him for a 3 or 4 of note I have no problem moving him for DA. Worst case, DA's got more trade value than Mo. Second worst case, if he's a cancer behind doors he doesn't have the long term Rocket history cred to make as much trouble as Mo could. Third worst, he actually contributes which is most likely especially considering he'd come here with something to prove. You can bet he'd be on his best behavior.

I love our guard rotation right now, but we have holes elsewhere. If DA could become a meaningful contributor, we'd have Sura, Wesley and Anderson as trade bait for a decent (read: Kurt Thomas or Swift level) PF in the offseason. Meantime, this year, we'd have a guy who might actually get off the bench in place of a guy who definitely won't (you can bet Mo's deep in the doghouse). I'd do it. And I'd throw in all the 2nd round picks they want without thinking twice about it. When they didn't go for that, I'd throw in a protected 1st rounder post-next year. If it got to the wire, I might even give them our #1 next year. It won't be top 15 anyway and I can't remember the last time we drafted well late in the first round.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Originally posted by peleincubus
    blazers signed patterson even though they had been harping on about cleaning up their image...

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

You're crazy if you don't think it's a big deal to have a root canal. Especially when you have TWO root canals done.

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I think he might have meant that he heard he was being traded to the Rockets but hasn't heard anything since being told that.

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Now I'm crazy? You're off base. Especially since I've said that I have had more than 2 done in one day and survived. Have you? 7 games is 2 weeks! Like Jeff said though, an infection could have complicated matters (like in any other sort of procedure, oral or otherwise). I remain dubious.

Agreeing with dharocks, this isn't a big enough issue to waste too much discussion on. I guess we can agree to disagree.

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cutino Mobley had a root canal done at halftime and played the second half with his mouth packed with cotton. I never was a big fan of his, but I have to respect that.

DA is desperate for a change of scenery.
    Giving up MoTay is giving up nothing.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Shouldn't cool update guys know that it is correctly stated, 'It is he' ???

13. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

The only things I'm going to miss about Mo are:

1) His ability to draw charges
    2) The Mo Betta' Bunch :) I'm sure he's purchased the tix, but what are they going to start saying before each game? It'll just sound strange if he isn't there.

Pugs

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

People are hoping otherwise as Mo is even more lifeless as a Rock now than DA is lifeless as a Blazer.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am hoping we can get this deal done. But who knows what Portland will do. I still think they are trying to move SAR before they take on Mo.

As for DA, I think he would be a solid addition. Clutch, you asked where is he going to get his minutes? I think he could get quality minutes at the backup PG spot and minutes at backup SF. I dont think he has to cut into much of Barry's minutes. I agree, I want to see Barry on the floor too. T-Mac has been playing TOO many minutes lately. He has to get more of a rest to keep him fresh for the remainder of the season. I think DA can play those spot backup SF minutes and certainly be more of an offensive threat than Bowen.
    And I think with Barry and Tmac in the lineup DA can play some quality backup PG minutes too. It would be a heck of a lot better than Strickland or Barrett. Having DA also just gives us one more athletic swingman in case of injuries or an off night by someone. I think he would be a solid contributor. Andreson just wants a chance. I dont think he would come in here and pout at not getting a ton of minutes. I think he would be happy with solid backup minutes.

The Howard/Padgett with some Spoon combo at PF seems to be working well. The extended minutes actually see to be a catalyst to Howard's play. All year I thought he should have gotten 35+ minutes a night as the starting PF should. I think we will be ok here for the remainder of the season.

Fingers crossed that we can get DA.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

DA will get anything from 20 to 28 minutes a night here. i'll be happy with 10 points 5 assists and 4 boards output.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I don't know about 20 to 28 mins. That's a lot to come out of someone.

And I think anyone in the entire NBA would be ecstatic for that production from 1 player off the bench. Shoot, that'd be nice for a lot of teams out of their non-star starters. Don't expect anythingl ike that, please..

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If it happens, good. If it doesn't, I'm fine with that, too. Mo can always be moved in the offseason. If you don't have to screw with the current chemistry, then don't. There is no need to force things right now.

20. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Matt Jackson talks a lot