1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Jackson 610: Suggesting that MoTay for DA is ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Feb 13, 2005.

1. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I like Derek Anderson, he's a solid defender and passer from the 2 guard spot, but 3 things concern me.

(1) That shooting percentage from 2 point range is atrocious. I mean, flat out awful. And he's been terrible for the past 3 seasons, not just this year. Vernon Maxwell like.

(2) I don't like the fact that he's going to the media to ask for a trade and b**** about playing time.

(3) Missing 7 games due to "dental problems"? WTF?

2. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

beggars can't be choosers, but you have valid points

3. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Well i guess he is to them what Mo is to us. Remember when he went on the IL originally because of the flu. Most of us were thinking WTF is going on.

Also his shooting percentage is about the same as David Wesley's and I think he will get alot more open looks with Yao and T-mac so that could help his shooting as well.

4. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

1) He is a pretty decent 3pt shooter who will slash to the basket when he can. Both are attributes this team needs a little more of.

2) I haven't heard anything about him going public with trade demands. The only thing I have heard was him answering media questions about trade rumors Imainly the Rockets)

3) It was 2 root canals and a bad sinus infection on top of it. I've had my share of sinus infections, and they are a real b**ch!

5. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

Have you ever had a root canal? I thought I read he had two done. I guarantee he has been doped up for the last 7 games. Root canals are very painful.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Sometimes a change of scenery really helps players out. IF this trade went down, I think it would help both MoT and DA.

I hope this deal goes through. DA for some reason seems a lot easier to move than MoT.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Agreed. Even though this is still an "if" scenario, a fourth concerns me also: Who is going to the pine to give D.A. time? You know he won't be happy with less than 20 minutes a night, so which backcourt player (that is playing well) is getting screwed?

Better not be Jon Barry.

8. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Thats no more stranger than missing 5 weeks of games due to the "flu"

9. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Wouldn't he just take some of TMac's & Strickland's time? Maybe run a 3 guard lineup out there in stretches?

10. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

And I was thinkin' to myself, "This is just my luck"
    Then my ***** bust in like "What the ****!?"

11. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

I think DA would be looking for more minutes than that.

12. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

oh he'll be happy with it

or back to portland he goes!

lol, on a serious note though

why not package strickland (granted I don't know why portland would want to make their team WORSE), but hell anderson could either backup mcgrady or even in a pinch, sura.

13. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I figure if we save him from that hellhole, he'll be happy enough to just do what JVG says.

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I would imagine that he would knock Strickland out of the rotation, and cut slightly into the minutes of Barry, Sura, Wesley, and T-Mac. I don't think any of that would be bad at all. I don't think he'd have too much of a problem with 20-24 minutes as our sixth man.

When you think about it, we have 144 minutes to go around at the 1/2/3 spots, and DA can ably fill in at each spot.

PG: Sura 32 / Barry 8 / DA 8
    SG: Wesley 32 / Barry 10 / DA 6
    SF: TMac 38 / DA 10

Something roughly along those lines would be good, I think.

#54 dharocks, Feb 14, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

IMO, to judge Anderson, you really have to look at his stats from his year with the Clippers through his one year in San Antonio and his first two years in Portland. Those were his best statistical years but also the years he played with the best teams (Clippers excluded).

Looking over those four seasons, he averaged 13.5 points, 3.7 rebounds, 3.6 assists and 1.3 steals while shooting 42 percent from the field and 36 percent from the three point line in an average of 33 minutes per game.

All of those are at or above his career stats, particularly his rebounding (2.3 for his career). But, compare those to the last two seasons where he has gone through injuries and played on a really bad team. All his averages are down including one of the more important averages - minutes per game.

With the open looks he will get here and the emphasis JVG puts on defense - a potential strength of Anderson - he could actually improve here this season.

Plus, it gives the Rockets something they sorely lack - athleticism.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

He can't take much of T-Mac's time ... and not sure on Strickland either given that Strickland is there to run the point specifically.

Some of Bowen's time (what little he gets) and whittle at Barry/Wesley/Sura as well I guess. I'll take Anderson for Taylor (not saying much) .... but man, Barry is shooting over 45% from downtown like a good Barry does. I'd hate to mess with that.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I had multiple root canals done on a Saturday and was at work the next Monday. They're just not as big a deal as you make them out to be. Like you guys said, maybe this is similar to Mo's "flu". Weird tho.

I agree with this concern as well. Imo we've stocked up a glut of solid, but not spectacular, veteran guards. Between Wesley, Sura, Barry, Strickland, and D.A., that's 5 guys to divide 96 minutes between (plus a few backing up McGrady at the 3). Of those, Strickland's the obvious answer to bench, but only if you think the other guys are capable of filling in the backup PG minutes. Even then, you're talking 4 guards, when teams typically go into a 3 guard rotation when the playoffs arive.

It seems like the same quantity over quality problem we had with the Rockets a few years ago at PF, with Thomas, Taylor, Griffin all in the mix. Invariably, someone's going to end up unhappy.

18. Mattj

Mattj Member

Just to clarify on DA for Mo T....

A pool reporter brought me the quotes before I began postgame on sunday night. DA was asked if he thought he was going to be traded, his response was I heard I am being dealt to Houston. No more, no less...now this rumor as you know has been out there forever, and the Blazers have turned down this offer at least once, though it may have had as much to do with Nick Van Exel's health as opposed to the trade itself. All I said during postgame was that DA has heard that he is being traded to Houston, that doesn't mean it is going to happen, but this did come drom DA and not a rumor/message board...I'd say if Van Exel stays healthy up to the trade deadline, that this would get done, but don't kid yourselves into thinking DA is a rotation player as much as he is a non-cancerous tumor

19. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

whoa, Matt J is that really you?

20. rocketabc

rocketabc Contributing Member

I called Matt Jackson tonight and he told me only that Derek Anderson "had heard he was going to the Rockets." It wasn't that a deal was imminent, or that the team had said something to Matt; rather that Anderson himself had made that comment to one of the pool writers sometime recently (I'm assuming in the past 24).

There are still 10 days or so until the trade deadline, too, so this could just be the beginning. But when I heard all the hoopla and then saw this on the board, I figured I'd go straight to the source.

Oh, and don't discount Matt's credibility too quickly; he doesn't just "let loose" with stuff on the air unless there's some sort of factual evidence to back it up. He was merely passing along what he heard from Anderson himself...

Only thing I can tell you is to listen to Matt's show tomorrow night for more (shameless plug). BTW, I hear the update guy is cool... ;)