1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matt Cassel?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Feb 5, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

For the league minimum, maybe (backup). Otherwise, no.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not that the Vikings didn't pick up the option, he declined his own option.

The best thing that can be said about Cassel is that he's a vet that knows the system and he had the only success of his career with O'Brien calling the plays. He won't be a QB solution, but he could be a band-aid or a camp body at the very least.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'll take him as a backup to whoever we bring in.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd take him. I don't like the idea of throwing a rookie into the fire (not named Luck or RGIII), and Cassel is decent in the right system under good coordinators. He was very solid with the 2010 Chiefs (27 TD, 7 INT, 93 QBR) under Todd Haley and Charlie Weis, who didn't ask him to do too much.

He got hurt in 2011, then without Haley and Weis the offense was a disaster.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's a vet who knows the system and could probably be had cheap. Sounds like a real possibility.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

would be a decent bridge QB for us. Obviously Cassel's best year was with O'Brien. He's still serviceable, despite his poor play in KC and Minny. But then again, i'm okay with giving Schaub another shot, which isn't a very popular opinion.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty sure Josh McDaniels was OC when Cassel started.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Good catch, O'Brien became the play caller in 2009 which was the next year. He was just the WR coach the year Cassel was there. I can't believe I got that mixed up.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I would rather have Josh than another Matt. Either Josh McCown or Josh Freeman.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You could probably make an argument for Josh McCown, but I'm not sure the Bears are going to let him go but Josh Freeman is garbage. At least Cassel is garbage that is familiar with the system.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i thought he was the QB coach...

which means he deserves plenty of cred for Cassel's play that year.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, he became offensive play caller and QB coach the very next year once Cassel was gone. He was just WR coach in 2008.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I thought he was ok this year; granted, the only game I watched him was the game against the Eagles this year. IMO the best QB on that team. Wouldn't be bad as a backup here

15. Remii

Remii Member

Garbage that is familiar with the system is still garbage. At least Freeman has a higher ceiling and is younger. Plus Freeman hasn't been garbage for as long as Cassel has been garbage. I'd rather have new garbage over old garbage...

16. Remii

Remii Member

Hmmmmm WR coach...??? I hope he takes a long look at Sammy.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Freeman has always been garbage and he has no familiarity with the head coach, Cassel was decent in the right system....which is a very similar system to what O'Brien runs, that's why I'd take Cassel over Freeman.

He's not even in consideration for the top 3.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sanchez would be my #1 target for cheap/crap QB project. Cassel I could see in NE, because get this - Mallet sucks and not even O'Brien wants him so stop talking about him.

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Are the Jets cutting him? Because if they aren't then you'd have to give up at least a draft pick and you'd have to take on his salary. Even if they did cut him, reportedly there's a market for him, which means he wouldn't come super cheap.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine there being a market for him, he's absolutely terrible. At least Cassel and Freeman have had what could be considered a decent season before, Sanchez never has, he's been one of the worst QB's in the NFL ever since he was drafted.