1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matrix wants $60 MIL?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by deekay209, Sep 26, 2007.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ok, that is understandable if you think he is the third best player(definitely not the fourth). I guess we just all differ on how much value he actually brings to that team. I think he is their second most important player cause he brings it in EVERY aspect of his game in every game. If he was ever injured that team would not be the same team that they are today. He is like an athletic Battier on crack. He may not be worth 20 mil but 16-18 is not out of the question IMO. Given a lot of the bloated contracts out there I would not be worried about paying a guy like Marion a little more than what he is worth considering he puts maximum effort on every play and plays 80-82 games every season.

2. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Marion is not worth 60 mil, and I thought he was already getting paid big money for the next two years...

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The real question is how much would Shawn Marion get on the open market? Would it be closer to $12MM or $20MM? For how many years?

You can say he's only asking for a small raise, but if he's already overpaid (like many believe), asking for a small raise is indeed a very big deal. It's clear that the Suns don't want to give Marion the same salary he has now.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

As it is, he's *slightly* overpaid. I dare any GM to build around him - can't create his own shot, let alone for others. He's the best second tier player in the league.

We'll see how much he wants to be the man if it means a crap team. I can't see Kerr being so dumb as to move him to LA. Send him to the Bobcats if you can. They're almost $10 mill under the cap and saving $$$ is music to Starver's ears.

Evan

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I think he might only be the third best player on the Suns, but the gap between him and Amare is not that big. Because for what Amare does better than Marion, he is inferior to other aspects of Marion's complete game.

I would say it would be like comparing someone like Shawn Kemp to Scottie Pippen. Kemp was probably a more dominate scorer than Pippen, but every other aspect of the game...would be advantage Pippen.

Marion definetly is not the scorer Amare is. At the same time, he provides great shooting range, rebounding, passing ability, unselfishness, and defensive specialty.

Marion is the damn sf/pf and he has consistently outrebounded his starting center, sometimes blocked more shots, and hold the paint down better than Amare ever does.

I would think the Suns would be better off trading Amare than letting Marion go.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The more I think about the Suns hanging on to Amare instead of trading for KG the more I think they made a bad decision. Amare just isn't the dominant explosive player he used to be and probably never will be. With KG, the Suns would have taken a quantum leap in defense and rebounding that could have put them over the top. Plus they could have gained a player who would earn the respect of everyone in that lockerroom and organization without the emotional/ego baggage that Amare has. Think about how rejuvinated KG would be playing with Nash at PG. And Marion might be happier since Amare is gone and a less selfish player would be manning the post.

7. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Agreed, that team would be scary. I think they should have pulled the trigger on that one, because building for the future is pointless when you've got an aging Nash.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah...i thought it would been good, if they picked up someone who was a bit more balanced....O'Neal, Garnett, or etc...would've been upgrade defensively and yet kept the same point out put as Amare.

Amare is good player, but he as good as Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal....not.

He had one great series against the Spurs a few years ago and couple of flashy dunks and every critic think he is best center in the game today.

Absolutely unbelievable.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

In all fairness, he made Duncan look like a statue. If Amare hadn't developed that lesion, he would be a perennial MVP candidate. But that explosiveness is history and he is now a lesser player. Much lesser.

10. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

Marion is also overrated by the media. Like that punk Amare, he is another Nash creation: a good player that looked great because he plays with a HOF PG.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Actually, it wasn't for the recent CBA, we wouldn't have the salary structures we have today and you'd have very few "over-paid" players relative to their counterparts. What you do have right now is quite a few under paid players (Kobe, Yao, Lebron, T-Mac etc). Shaq and Jordan commended $30Mil per 6 years ago. Latrell was around $18.

But the new CBA prevents players from getting that kind of money, which is why you see Lebron and Wade signed the deal they did. Some think that the next labor negotiation (potential lockout or strike?) will be much more in favor of the players. Still at the end of the day, they're not gonna make baseball player money.

12. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007 10:17pm ET
    Suns Teammates Want Marion to Stay
    In THE EAST VALLEY TRIBUNE, Jerry Brown writes “Steve Nash last talked to Shawn Marion in July, after trade rumors had “The Matrix” heading to Boston in a Kevin Garnett deal. Coach Mike D’Antoni spoke to Marion in early September, about the time the Suns and Utah Jazz are known to have had at least cursory discussions involving a possible Marion for Andrei Kirilenko deal. Raja Bell called Marion Tuesday; the same day Marion went public with a request that he be traded from the Suns — preferably to the rival Lakers, where he can join forces with Kobe Bryant.”

13. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I don't know about fugliest in NBA history have you seen Barbosa shoot? Barbosa looks like a little kid shooting the ball and yet it still goes in some how. :confused:

14. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Good point. That team would be 10x scarier than Boston's team right now..