1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Matrix wants $60 MIL?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by deekay209, Sep 26, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

$60 million? that's overrated like the Reloaded and Revolutions.

2. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

i think that if ppl like darko and camby and ak47 are making 15 mil, i dont see why this guy shouldnt get a little more. he does everything. i like him as a player.

3. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Stats are overrated! "Superstar" is used too loosely these days by fans like you.

4. Rockets Dynasty

$60 million for Shawn Marion???

LMFAO

I guess he really does believe he is inside the fantasy world of The Matrix now.

5. uchlha

uchlha Member

reason why u dont give him 20mil is because those 3 players you noted earlier are overpaid so are most of the contracts that have come out these past 3 years

6. tomato

tomato Member

sick rhyme

7. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I agree- he has impact on game outcome. He is an awesome defender-bonus as a scorer. Very hard to defend- really unique weapon

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

2 years ago, the guy put up 22 ppg, 12 rpg, 2 apg, 2 spg and nearly 2 bpg.

His stats went down a bit this past year, but this isn't the 80's anymore....you just don't see stat lines like the above in today's NBA that frequently.

And, though he does disappear in select playoff games, his playoff stats are generally in line with his regular season stats.

Of course, he is obviously a better player with Nash and in the Suns system than without. Pre Nash he still put up great numbers, but $20 million a year would be ridiculous.

With Nash, and even as useful as a player I think Marion is, I think $20 million a year is ridiculous. The Suns have to realize that Nash can't possibly continue to play at the level he is playing at forever. Clearly, the Nash/Marion/Stoudemire combo isn't enough. They need to find a combo that works before Nash starts to deteriorate....even if its just a little bit of deterioration.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think we can all agree that $20 million is rediculous for Marion. Lewis getting his insane contract didn't do the Suns, or Marion, any favors. If Marion goes, he won't be getting his $20 mil, and the Suns will be hurt. I guess that's good for the Rocks, depending on where the guy ends up.

The amount of money thrown at players early in the signing period is frequently wacked, and there are always some guys who figure they deserve the same because they are better, which they very well may be. Those guys don't understand that there is a definite limit to the number of insane teams that will throw mad contracts at players who deserve far less. Quite a soap opera.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

With Kidd......
    99-00 53-29
    00-01 51-31

With Starbury and Marion as your best players......
    01-02 36-46
    02-03 44-38
    03-04 29-53

With Nash......
    04-05 62-20
    05-06 54-28
    06-07 61-21

Anybody notice a pattern? But hey, what the hell. Pay him $20 million a year.

11. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

what the hell. marion is a beast...some nights he puts up a QUIET 20 AND 15

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

if they trade him for odom and parts, stick a fork in the suns.

with kirilinko, they could atleast hope to get back some of that unique, freakish dimension Marion provided but it will be nowhere near as consistent.

The Suns are screwed. There is noone out there whom they could trade for that will give them what he gives. At the same time, no way in hell that guy is worth $20million/yr. The Kevin Garnett deal was there best shot.

13. Precision340

Precision340 Member

LOL.. no shiet.. what is Marion smoking?
    $16.4 - 17 mil/year is not enough? He's the highest paid player on the Sun's roster and he's not even their best player!!

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

Shawn isn't taht type of player that will score you 25 points every night. Night in, night out. If he can't score he'll help defensivly, he'll rebound the ball...I like that type of players

15. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

Pattern? Starbury killed the Suns.

16. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Los Angeles Lakers

Incoming Players
    Photo: Shawn Marion
    Shawn Marion
    Salary: $16,440,000 Years Remaining: 2
    Photo: Jermaine O'Neal
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Salary: $19,728,000 Years Remaining: 2

Outgoing Players: Andrew Bynum, Vladimir Radmanovic, Brian Cook, Kwame Brown, Lamar Odom
    Phoenix Suns

Incoming Players
    Photo: Brian Cook
    Brian Cook
    Salary: $3,500,000 Years Remaining: 2
    Photo: Lamar Odom
    Lamar Odom
    Salary: $13,248,596 Years Remaining: 2

Outgoing Players: Shawn Marion
    Indiana Pacers

Incoming Players
    Photo: Andrew Bynum
    Andrew Bynum
    Salary: $2,172,000 Years Remaining: 1
    Photo: Vladimir Radmanovic
    Vladimir Radmanovic
    Salary: $5,632,200 Years Remaining: 4
    Photo: Kwame Brown
    Kwame Brown
    Salary: $9,075,000 Years Remaining: 1

Outgoing Players: Jermaine O'Neal

We be looking at 3 all stars with no bench. But at least this big 3 is younger than celtics. A trade like that will prolong all 3 career, as all 3 are playing extended minutes in their career.

17. baller4life315

The point is Marion needs to play with a First Team All-NBA caliber uptempo PG in order for that team to win. Any player that is that dependent upon the system or another player is not worth $20 million a year.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He is looking at his own self. He will make $16.5 mil. and $17.5 mil. the next two years. That is not really that big of a raise to reward the player that plays the hardest on both ends of the floor. As basketball goes, the Suns are cheap. Do they want to give Marion the same contract that he just got out of? It is only, I say only, about $2-$3 mil more a year. People make way to big of a deal about this IMO.

19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Again, my point and his point will be that, ..."but I am worth 16.5 mil this year and 17.5 mil next year but not 20 mil? Interesting.

20. baller4life315

And the easy counterpoint to that is, "You've made franchise player money ($16.5-17.5 million) as the third or fourth best player on the team has accomplished nothing. What makes you think you deserve a raise that would bolster you into the $20 million range along with former league MVP's like Shaq, KG and AI?"

He's a good player but his contract is already a problem. If you pay a player like that $20 million a year you're going to hamstring yourself for years.