1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Matrix Copyright Infringement Case ends.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Invisible Fan, Apr 14, 2005.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

You've got to be kidding me. If the biggest connection is "man vs machine" and a messiah figure, then I don't see how anyone can get a judgement on that basis. I'd have to read the original short story. Assuming it isn't hoax in the first place.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

If you do a search for Sophia Stewart on teh Courts page listed by Rocket G you'll find some court listings. But it doesn't say anything about the case being over. It just lists several motions that have been heard.

I don't question the validity that there is a lawsuit but I do question some of the facts from that article.

Maybe God should sue them for copyright infringement of the bible. You know the whole Savior of the people, miracle worker thing. I bet he could get millions.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

In my limited research, I found an interview from some obscure website where she claims she didn't sue for the Terminator, but that the FBI's investigators made the connections. There's no mention as to how the people got their hands on her material though.

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

That site also has her asking for donations to pay her legal fees. Wouldn't this be the kind of case that Lawyers take on for free because the payoff would be huge?

5. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Yeah - normally this would have contingent fee written all over it.

Another thing - wtf would the FBI inmsert itself into the middle of a civil lawsuit relating to intellectual property infringement?

6. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This part caught my attention:

From this, I'm guessing that the "victory" here may have been that the woman was able to successfully file a complaint with the court without being turned away for lack of jurisdiction or having the case dismissed for lack of evidence. So in other words, she's actually going to be able to present her evidence in front of a judge and (maybe, if she wants) jury.

Nowhere in the article do you ever see the word "judgment, "decision," or "settlement." So that might explain why she's asking for money to cover her legal fees (although I am surprised that the lawyers didn't take this on contingency - are there any laws limiting this in CA).

If I'm correct, I think her celebrations are a little premature. But I do hope this gets more attention - I think anyone who knowingly rips off another person's ideas should be exposed.

BTW, wasn't there a successful suit against Eddie Murphy for Coming to America?

7. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

It also says that her suit was filed in '98, I think.

Seven years to have a case "acknowledged?"

The FBI thing is a crock.

Oh, and the judge is PRESIDING - not "residing."
    She works there dammit, she doesn't freaking live there.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if we assume this is real and the article is correct, then it looks like she had from 1981 when "the third eye" was copyrighted until the mid-80's before she sent it to them and then from the mid-80's to 1999 to do something else with it since they hadn't done anything.

the fact she could get credit for both terminator and the matrix on the basis of "the one" saving us from machines in the future seems a little ridiculous. like someone else said, get God to sue for the savior concept, although he may be a little short on lawyers. and the fact they have her quoted as saying "it's all about the benjamins" makes me want her to not get any money even if this is real.

9. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I also found it a bit suspicious when they said she has lived in Utah the last five years. Something not quite right.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

That made me laugh out loud literally.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I get all my news and stock quotes from notghettomess.com.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

13. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

Unfortunately the Bible was also derivative in that regard. God better watch out! The lawyers representing the Mithraists will be filing a lawsuit any day now.

:p

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would like to read the story . . . cannot find the full thing anywhere

as for a media Blackout . . .. . it happens
    I did not know Ray Parker Jr
    had to pay Heuy Lewis and the News for Ghostbusters
    until the behind the music .. . . .
    Then . .. Ray Sued Huey for breaking the gag order
    by saying it on Behind the Music

go Figure

Rocket River

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Do you blame that on a media conspiracy, or the fact that nobody has given a tin **** over either Ray Parker Jr or Huey Lewis for more than 20 years?

[​IMG]

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

lol
    not
    just that it happened back when folx gave a d*mn about them
    and Ghostbusters was a #1 song

in the midst of Ghostbuster mania. . .it was happening
    and no one even knew

Rocket River