1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Maternal Mortality Rate Doubles In Texas, Highest in Developed World

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by crossover, Aug 23, 2016.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lol... No

Fiscal year 2012 would've began on Sept 1, 2011

2. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Whoops, :eek:
    Yeah, I just have a canned answer for the infant mortality subject every time I see it.

3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Well shows what I know about fiscal years.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, you really don't know diddly squat about this topic. The abortion aspect of Planned Parenthood is a tiny percentage of what they do for women's health. Get a grip, dude. Cause and effect. The Texas Legislature, one of the most far-right, backwards, and extreme legislatures in the USA, with "leadership" from an equally extreme and demented Governor and Lt. Governor, made a direct assault on women's health. That assault has been having an immediate impact, the result of an overwhelmingly male body thinking they know what's best for women and their well being.

People like you make me shake my head in dismay. I may have to visit a chiropractor this time.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This response delivered beyond my wildest dreams.

6. Cohete Rojo

So abortion is a small percentage of the funding yet the lack of abortion funding is what caused a spike in maternal deaths during birth? Logic?

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Did you even read what you replied to?

8. myco

myco Contributing Member

You know the answer.

9. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The USA has a big problem with maternal mortality it isn't just Texas. Cohete Rojo hit on one with obesity. Another is c-sections, drugs, first time mothers getting older and older.

It is a long complicated list but childbirth is hard on the body and the more people over eat, don't exercise, and require on-demand scheduled births the harder it is to get though. Especially when the average age is skyrocketing.

With all that said, the study itself doesn't believe the findings. The often quoted

means they find the number not credible.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Cohete Rojo, I suggest a reading comprehension class at your local community college. With a lot of work, I'm sure it would prove helpful. Good luck!

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Goto ACOG or any Obgyn you know. This is common knowledge. The people arguing just look silly as hell, zero medical background, practically zero comprehension and wasted space + used keyboards.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

2nd time I've used this today.

[​IMG]

You keep answering the question, "he can't be that stupid, can he?" in each post of this thread.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

n/m...

#33 CometsWin, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Terrible thing - probably a combo of things at play here. Such a dramatic rise in two years - it's hard to attribute that to one thing. It's shameful to cut PP funding which does so much for women (and men) by ensuring people get health care, education, and reducing STD's - but this result can't possible be linked solely to that.

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CtY5bv-oxLE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. Cohete Rojo

1. Obesity (bad diet).
    2. High blood pressure.
    3. Diabetes.
    4. Late entry to pre-natal care.
    5. Rise in maternal mortality began before clinic closures.
    6. Cardiac arrest is the leading cause.
    7. Drug overdose was second leading cause of death.
    8. Doing things as simple as baby aspirin can reduce chances of fatality.

http://www.houstonmatters.org/segme...gnancy-related-deaths-rising-rapidly-in-texas
    <iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/280021942&amp;color=d71921"></iframe>

[​IMG]

#36 Cohete Rojo, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I think it's fair to point out that a lot of these things are the kind of stuff a reproductive healthcare clinic would cover, or at least would be giving information to women about as part of their services.

It's probably a little too broad to just say 'closing the clinics lead to this' but likewise it's not reasonable to just hand wave the possible correlations there away. As mentioned before, these facilities are about a lot more than the stuff that makes up news headlines and online fights.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a shortage of people?

19. bongman

bongman Member

PRO LIFE right?

1 person likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No....I'm pretty outspoken about how I believe that there should be more abortions. The more abortions, the better society is, I've said it for years.