1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Massive Attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by slcrocket, Jan 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

So I had actually never heard of this band until I saw their name in the House credits for the theme song, and I totally am digging their style...for anybody who is familiar with their work, what are some of their best songs? Albums?

Also, are there other groups that you can recommend that have a similar style? Being a stupid American yuppie who grew up on MTV, all I know is primarily the mainstream stuff--which I know is a travesty, but I don't care enough to take too much effort to listen to EVERYTHING, so I listen to whatever's available. :)

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Mezzanine

3. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Massive Attack: Mezzanine is one of my favorite albums ever. It is *the* best f*** me hard and slow music ever. I highly, highly recommend Mezzanine and Teardrop, those two are the best. 1000th window isn't bad. Their early stuff I don't like as much.

If you dig the style search for "trip hop." Also search downtempo. If you dig the female vocals on Mezzanine check out the Cocteau Twins, one of them is on that album. Take a look at Maxinquaye and Hooverphonic. If you're enjoying really expressive, creative electronic music then you have to try Bjork, but she's all over the map and not necessarily downtempo.

Searching for Massive Attack on Amazon or iTunes will get you recommendations for similar albums.

4. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Their first big hit was "Unfinished Sympathy" from Blue Lines. Biggest albums are Mezzanine and Protection. The House music is an adaptation of "Teardrop". "Protection", "Karmacoma", and "Dissolved Girl" are probably my favorite songs by them.

You might also want to check out the greatest hits albums from the Cocteau Twins, the Chemical Brothers, Groove Armada, and Morcheeba. Individual albums to look at would include Dot Allison's Afterglow, Morel's Lucky Strike, and One Dove's Morning White Dove.

Massive Attack is really a keystone kind of band. People who really dig music know Massive Attack. People who just listen to whatever happens to be on the radio have probably never heard of them. Good to see you make that leap.

#4 Furious Jam, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  5. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

I discovered Hooverphonic and other downtempo artists while studying at It's a Grind coffeehouse. They had a real chill mix playing, which also included Zero 7. Another artist I discovered there was Sia. Though listed as an Australian pop star, she has a downtempo album called "Colour the Small One." It's a pretty neat album, and I really suggest listening to singles "Breathe Me and "Numb" if you're into this style of music.

#5 Eric Riley, Jan 21, 2008
  6. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Also check out portis head. Good stuff, that.

7. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

No Portishead?

Edit: doh there it is :)

8. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

+1 on Portishead and Morcheeba. Isn't this style called Trip Hop? The live CD (Roseland NYC) by Portishead is a good place to start with them. Big Calm and Who Can You Trust by Morcheeba are both good.

Trip hop - Wikipedia

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VnCS25z18pI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VnCS25z18pI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
    The Sea - Morcheeba

#8 111chase111, Jan 21, 2008
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Massive Attack comprises a good 25% of my sexy time play list on itunes.

Good stuff.

10. Mak Attack

Mak Attack Member

I loooooooooove Massive Attack. Easily my favorite band. (My moniker kinda hints at that.)

Like everyone has said, Mezzanine is probably their best album. I like Blue Lines a lot too. Check out Unfinished Sympathy, Safe From Harm, and Daydreaming from that album.

I was able to see them live back in Sept. of '06. It was phenominal. I've been waiting for them to tour again. I don't care where it is, I will go.

As far as other bands definitely give Portishead a listen.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you like Massive Attack, check out Tricky's Maxinquaye. Tricky was actually part of the Massive Attack collective, but went solo. After Maxinquaye, there was a pretty sharp drop in the quality of his albums but that first album is fantastic.

You should also check out classic dub artists like King Tubby and Lee "Scratch" Perry.

12. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Massive Attack are awesome. I saw them in New York a day before my favorite band, Porcupine Tree played there. Good Times in the Big Apple.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Welcome to the world of fukk music. Bands to check out if you're down with Massive Attack-

Tricky
    hooverphonic
    lamb
    Fingathing
    slovo
    Morcheeba
    urbs
    wise in time
    dzihan & kamien
    Leaf
    Saltillo
    Slouch
    Earthling
    Dj Shadow
    RJD2
    Daughter Darling - Sweet Shadows
    Disco Biscuits
    Zero 7
    Stateless
    Peeping Tom

Yeah, I'm a "bit" into this kind of music. Most of those I listed are simply brilliant.

14. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Angel......that would be their best song in my opinion!

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

was that at austin city limits? i was there too - they had the best set of the festival that year. i couldnt believe liz frazier was there too.

mezzanine is one of the best albums ever.

cocteau twins are one of my favorite bands and i celebrate their entire collection, but i dont know if i would recommend them based on massive attack (unless you had the right drugs).

16. surrender

surrender Member

Definitely look into DJ Shadow and RJD2 - they're not quite orthodox trip-hop, incorporating breakbeats in their music, but it's still compelling stuff

17. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

I'll add some to this list.

Halou
    Artefact
    Baxter
    Bitter:Sweet
    Esthero
    Ivy
    Jay Jay Johanson
    Lovage
    Mandalay
    Blue Foundation
    Archive
    Mono
    Requiem for a Dream Soundtrack

18. Mak Attack

Mak Attack Member

I saw them in Houston at Verizon. I think their Austin show was the day after...because I was going to try and get tickets to see them again.

19. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Welcome to the world of good music. :D

Massive Attack is one of my favorites. If you really want to get a good lesson on them, pick up Collected. It's their greatest hits compilation, along with some new stuff. As others mentioned, Portishead and Morcheeba are also good ones to check out in the trip hop genre. Speaking of Portishead, I'm gonna see them at Coachella 2008 if all the rumors of them being there turn out to be true!. :D

20. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I actually found both Massive Attack and Zero 7 from episodes of the TV show Alias.

I will have to check out those other groups yall listed since I love both MA and Z7.