1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

?

Mason Jones will be a...

1. MVP

2. All-Star

3. Basic

4. Flop

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

FREE MASON!

BamBam and hakeem94 like this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

@Reeko is above that, hes taking one for the team DD style

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Brown is also good at attacking rim... very crafty about it

4. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i see what you mean (the craftiness, silky smooth jumper) but brandon roy had way more playmaking skills and his ability to get into the lane was elite.

i actually see more allan houston when i see mason jones play. still crafty and ultra smooth, but a lot of his ability is gonna be based off of his jumper and not his ability to get into the lane at will.

Zen Tabak and gfab-babyboi like this.
  5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I looove the younger guys, particularly Tate and MJ but I think its important to temper expectations. There is a reason why we got them the way we did and so many teams passed on them. It will be interesting to see how they respond once there is some tape on them. You can already kind of see Tate getting exposed ever since he started getting more minutes especially on his drive/post and his over aggressiveness at times on defense. To his credit I think he has started relying more on the long ball as a counter. The point is the book is out on dipo and wall and teams know a game plan against them but they are talented enough to find ways around that. We will have to wait and see if the success are rookies are having is due to lack of tape/attention or if we really have something

6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Houston got his shot off quicker than Jones

Jones reminds me of Cassell

7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We should extend both Brown, Jones, and Tate. No matter where we are heading they are nba ready if only as very good role players.
    I like Nwaba and Martin too, but they are not as ready. Stone has done a crazy good job injecting youth into this team and when we do get our next superstar our bench could be the best in the league.

hakeem94 and roslolian like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yah, I can't wait to have the whole squad so we can see se of these combos.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Were we more hyped about MJ or house after seeing them the first few times?

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Good Comparison.
    Allan Houston and Mason Jones are similar. Mason Jones is definitely a Solid Guard.
    Solid Guards with Good IQ Play for 12 years or more.

kevtse and clutchdabear like this.
  11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

MJ.

House flashed as a potential rotation player. Which he is. Just at the end of the bench.

Mason flashes as a starter with plus potential.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

The guy has a lot of potential. The all-star call is a bit outlandish to me since he plays with so many athletic freaks with high motor which enables him to do less and earn more.

Eye check says the dude has great facilitating and play-making skills, which are direly needed for us.

But it makes me ponder what he can do with more PT, the dude is averaging 70+% EFG% right now, 50% 3P%.

The 58% FT% is hilarious. Maybe teams will start fouling him if he gets hot to see if they can get him off-track.

hakeem94, roslolian and D-rock like this.
  13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mason Jones PG Skills as a Passer and Dribbling as PG surprises me. Very High IQ. As a Combo Guard. He is still learning.

As a 22 year old Rookie coming off the bench as a PG setting up plays and veterans trusting Mason Jones.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Getting to the line drawing fouls was maybe his strong ability. He led NCAA in FT makes & attempts last year (at near 83% FT%) Maybe he should keep it % low now to bait them lol. But encouragingly, he hasnt even used that ability yet.

#94 Shroopy2, Jan 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

House for sure. It was crazy over here. Especially since House is a Houston product. Even with MJ showing promise as an undrafted rookie, there are still people on clutchfans that thinks he is just okay.

Some were thinking House, a journeyman nba player, was the missing piece to a championship formula.

joshuaao, hakeem94, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Well said and I haven't forgotten it. You look at our chips, they never happen without Sam and Robert. Bulls had young shooters like BJ. Heat don't make the finals without Herro. Championship runs with young role players can be done but it's rare nowadays.

hakeem94 and Ramo$e like this.
  17. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Exactly. You got to have balance. Veterans to teach them how to win and lead. Plus you have to have ready young legs for the playoffs when the vets get tired because of a long season and playoffs. You have to play these young guys so they'll be ready and not have butter fingers all nervous during crucial times during the playoffs. MDA never understood this.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Def House.

Jones hasnt put up gaudy nos to deserve House hype. I remember getting so much flak for committing blasphemy against the next Rox superstar when I said he was just a roleplayer.

eliefor3 likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nah just look at the page threads of 2 players. House thread had like 38+ pages vs MJ 5 lol. CF certainly didnt see House as just a rotation player back then.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

weird way to measure upside, page views? And then cherry picking by comparing a new thread with an aged thread? Tsk tsk tsk.

If I remember correctly we were desperate for anything at the three post Ariza. House looked like a viable alternative and in a season we should have been vying for a championship, Morey seemed to go against grain and play hardball with converting a two way contract. Peeps were frustrated, rightly because his skill set was better than anything we had going at the time.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.