1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Masculinity

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Apps, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Apps

Apps Member

Recently I've seen the argument of cultural "feminization" popping up almost everywhere I go. A lot of academics are arguing that education, from all grades and up into the university level, and pop culture and media in general, are becoming "feminized". I'm not quite sure what this means, and so far I haven't read an article or a quote that has effectively explained it to me, but this perceived feminization is apparently responsible for the diffusion and misdirection of young male energy, and as a result boys and men alike are likelier to feel "lost" and "hopeless" in a society that has stopped allowing them to "be what they are", so to speak.

Do you think this is an accurate interpretation of what's going on in the Western world? That masculinity has taken a backseat and is actively looked down upon and discouraged? And what the heck is "feminization"? I personally think that it isn't the case at all, but perhaps the issue could be further illuminated for me by the opinions of others.

I also want to point out what I felt was an ironic facet to this concept. It sees men complaining about an institutional and systemic discrimination--basically the same thing that women do in their attacks on male privilege and patriarchal culture--as if the onus is on the system to restore "masculinity" and the "masculine ideal". But what would be more masculine to just do it yourself... to be as masculine as you want to be, public perception be damned?

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The problem is that skills appreciated in elementary schools (like siting fown and listening) and the style that is used favour girls not boys.

I am not commenting on if that is a good thing or not. But it are facts. Girls are also performing much better during their school.

Ofcourse we do not see the result from that on the job market.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think some men that feel threatened by capable women and a society that accepts them more than it used to miss having their unfair advantage and want it back.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Gender roles are being forcibly torn away and there are serious negative consequences. There are no real right of passages for men and what it means to be a male has changed.

Oddly it has a real impact on women too as often times they just have additional responsibilities. There is a real genetic factor with gender identity whether people like it or not.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Movement from Competition mentalities to cooperation mentalities?
    Less stress on the physical to the mental?

I think it is more about create Sheeple than feminization

Rocket River

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Feminism facts make a lot of sense, to where having women in charge can be better for civilization

One uncomfortable fact - we in society preach for everyone to realize their FULL POTENTIAL. Especially women who have been systematically held back.

Truth is males maximize their potential generally through traits of ruggedness like strength, force, imposing physicality - and not even the dangerous, violent kind. But those are the elements that feminism attacks the MOST in the "patriarchy"

In all, testosterone has as much inherent right to exist on earth as estrogen does. Putting reigns on testosterone based rage is fair - but its also a bit contradictory to be constrictive on on male-particular traits.to where males hold back any output.

Answering the question: Yes masculinity is frowned upon.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Should have ideally happened fifty years ago once service and professional jobs took the physical aspect out of most work roles and would have allowed for fully gender-integrated work environments; and as domestic chores were either automated or delegated to minorities and immigrants which should have allowed for household parity between spousal roles. Maybe if we'd also had more movies in contemporary settings than in the old west and then later in space; and removed any commercial or promotional aspect to youth sports and allowed for co-ed participation well into adulthood, we wouldn't be reacting to a very natural and necessary androgynization of social roles as a crisis.

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I think it's time we move past masculinity (the hell does that even mean anymore) and femininity. Gender stereotypes have become obsolete now. What's happening is that we're slowly shifting from a patriarchal society to one that's more egalitarian in the developed world. In a kind of zero-sum scenario, the rise of one group doesn't mean a decline of the other; it's just the see-saw becoming more balanced. Those who can't adapt to the changing climate feel "lost".

Also, Apps, your last sentence is somewhat sexist/gender stereotype. Women can pull themselves up by their bootstraps as effectively as men. To equate self-reliance with one gender is cultural programming.

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is all the stuff people say about blacks and black men in rationalizing more menial jobs and more focus on sports, or insinuating that we respond to racial slurs with a "beating."

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Unfortunately, some women also have a hierarchically and conventionally superior dating and mating pool based on both their socioeconomic status and physical appearance, so individual empowerment and advancement can be more closely tied to adopting gender roles than accomplishment or aptitude.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Apps

Apps Member

I think a part of my question is that, is sitting down and listening really a bad thing? If boys want to run around and be physical, isn't that sort of counter-productive to the actual learning process, when you want to teach them arithmetic or grammar or science? I'm not so sure this should be considered feminization as it should be a lack of discipline at home. I wouldn't want my son running around the class being a disturbance, I would want my son getting the best grades in his class because he shuts up and listens, and then when recess comes around I would want him to be the best athlete on the asphalt, etc.

But I fail to see why cooperation and a focus on mental strength and flexibility should be seen as inherently bad things? You make it sound like people are being brainwashed, but if they're being brainwashed to work with each other better and to think more, then exactly what's so bad about that?

I didn't intend it to be sexist, I was just pointing out the irony. A lot of men that point out these current problems about masculinity in the eye of the public don't realize that they themselves are failing to live up to their own masculine standard by complaining about it. They are so willingly belittling and degrading to women, yet when the system pushes them back, they invariably find themselves in the same position doing the very same things. I wasn't so much saying that women are weak and incapable of mobilizing change for themselves as I was pointing out the irony of how some men behave in the very same situation, even though they look down on women themselves.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not lack of discipline for a boy to be physical and have those tendencies. That's biological, not necessarily a learned behavior. Boys need that outlet in a way that girls don't and not providing it to them as a part of their learning environment is a problem. When I was in school we had recess, PE, art, and music which all allowed a physical outlet. I doesn't sound like that's the case any longer.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In and of itself . . . it is now
    but I think it is only meant for the bottom
    those at the top have no intentions of moving to that mindset
    They continue to believe and act as if it were a competition

If play A is cooperating . . .and Player B is treating it like competition
    it is not surprising that player B gets aheads
    Because Player B hoards his resources and then gets some of Player A's resources because Player A is willing to share

Rocket River

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

This.

Society is becoming more balanced and that intimidates some men who are used to getting through life by being ultra-macho.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Well, one is directly based on contemporary settings and real life gender roles, the other is a ****ing alien prince.

Incidentally, for most of Barbie's existence feminists were probably too busy trying to get females from needing a male co-signer on bank loans, getting rid of gender-specific want-ads for office and service jobs, and I dunno, criminalizing marital rape or something.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's inferred in the topic, but boys are having a harder time maintaining grades and attendance in class to the point where college admissions for men is shrinking yearly.

It's getting to the point where something affirmative action-like is considered for increasing male attendance and diversity...

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's what disproportionately male trade school, the military, unionized construction and refinery jobs and first responder gigs are for. They'll make more money than women would right out of high school, and they'll probably have an easier time getting management jobs down the road or be more likely to eventually start a business anyways. Also, women still remove themselves from upwardly mobile career paths at a high enough percentage to negate the professional and socioeconomic benefits of increased college enrollment. I don't know who the hell is writing these pamphlets.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

So, they are both fictional?

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's your ****ty picture, bro. One is directly based on contemporary settings and real life gender roles, the other is a ****ing alien prince. Neither provides meaningful starting points for your ultimately slandering feminism.