1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mary Jo White: Is She The Right Choice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

Former corporate lawyer with a conflict of interest, perhaps? Will she cooperate fully with the Justice Department's investigation into Wall Street's alleged fradulent role in the financial crash?

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/30/mary-jo-white-sec-obama/

http://www.economicpopulist.org/content/obama-names-wall-street-defense-attorney-head-sec

Clutchfans' favorite, Taibbi:

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politic...bring-cases-to-a-point-20130130#ixzz2JYt80KEL

White, a former corporate defense attorney was appointed to run the SEC after Rubin-linked Jacob "I Don't Consider Myself an Expert" Lew was appointed to Treasury Secretary. Of course, before Lew there was Geitthner, a Summers protege and former NY Fed governor.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

um, she was a career USA befoer her stint at Debevoise. I mean I guess if you want to take the position that anybody with private sector ties ever is conflicted you can take it, but you just shrank the pool of available peopel by 80-90%

3. Major

Major Member

She's a lawyer. Her job is to represent her clients. She seems to have done a great job when her clients were facing the SEC - that experience, I would think, would be extremely helpful when facing off against the new versions of her. She obviously understands the industry and how the industry avoids SEC regulations.

I find it fascinating that people think if someone represents a client, they like that person or industry or what they did.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It seems so many positions in government have the wolves guarding the hen house.

We live in the only way these people can police the industry . . .is if they are from the industry mentality.
    The issues is cronyism . . . I am concerned about

Rocket River

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Matt Taibbi posts here? Hunh.

I like a lot of his articles in Rolling Stone. At least he's out there digging. But sometimes it's like he's trying to dig to China. You went too far, bro. Fill the hole back in a bit.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

The reason why companies hire her is not so that she can 'fix" deals for them the way Taibbi suggests (though I don't doubt some may subconsciously hope that), but the general rule of thought among companies is that if you can get out in front of governmental investigations and have somebody with a reptuation like her self-impose very heavy-handed remedies, then the gov't will figure anything it's likely to do is overkill.