1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] WandaVision (Vision and Scarlet Witch)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ah my bad. Yeah there’s no limit to the powering up in the comics.

2. Xerobull

Marvel’s Kevin Feige Explains Why WandaVision Couldn’t Be the Next MCU Movie
    Cameron Bonomolo

01/17/2021 08:10 pm EST

[​IMG]
    Kevin Feige explains why WandaVision, the first Marvel Studios series, "couldn't just be a movie" — and why it "could only be done for television." When then-Disney CEO Bob Iger approached Feige in 2018 about evolving and expanding the Marvel Cinematic Universe on Disney+, at the time the company's upcoming streaming service, it was with an offer to build out the franchise unlike ever before. In the wake of Avengers: Endgame and the conclusion to the Infinity Saga started with 2008's Iron Man, Feige would begin developing the studio's first television projects that would tie directly into the MCU feature films.

Marvel's inaugural trip to TV Land would be WandaVision, blending decades of classic sitcoms while unraveling a mystery about Wanda Maximoff (Elizabeth Olsen) and a somehow resurrected Vision (Paul Bettany).

"Wanda and Vision are great characters from the comics that we'd only scratched the surface of in movies, played by actors who are so spectacular, and we'd only scratched the surface of what they could do. Putting the spotlight on those actors playing those characters was the primary reason to want to make WandaVision," Feige told Variety. "The way we made it is, in large part, because I spent an inordinate amount of time as a child watching TV and watching syndicated repeats of lots of sitcoms. And when Nick at Nite came along, I'm old enough to remember when Nick at Nite was a new thing and a unique thing … I watched a lot of that and really became psychologically attached to a lot of these pretend TV characters."

Feige's love for movies would inspire and influence the 23-movie MCU, but the studio had yet to find a way to integrate Feige's appreciation of classic sitcoms like The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched. And then Disney+ came along.

"What would give me comfort after school [and] comfort late at night were these television shows. It was the one aspect of my youth and sort of what turned me into, for better or for worse, the person I am today. We'd never been able to really utilize [that]," Feige said. "My love of all sorts of movies and genre movies has absolutely been poured into all 23 movies you've seen us make at Marvel Studios already, but that aspect of my past, we weren't able to even consider necessarily being able to do anything with it."

Along with the development of Disney+, it was famed Marvel Comics mini-series The Vision — which depicts the titular synthezoid as the head of an android family in Leave It To Beaver-style suburbia — that helped birth WandaVision.

"[The Vision] is what led to me to say, 'Let's look at putting these two things together,' and doing what is now our first Disney+ series in a way that it couldn't just be a movie," Feige said. "It's not just a long movie on Disney+. We will make shows that are like that, but for what is now our first one, it felt great to do something that could only be done for television."

seclusion likes this.
  3. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

So will they release new episodes every friday? Or one episode every friday? The second episode made it look more interesting.

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

One episode each Friday as far as I know.

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

First two episodes are so bad.

calurker and TWS1986 like this.
  6. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I think its fantastic.. Its an extremely slow burn but it can only be done this way. This is a show about a woman so heartbroken she created an idealized fantasy to live the suburban post marital life she can never have. Her perfect world is like an American Sitcom because thats what Wanda watched growing up. The first 2 episodes are a set up.... to be honest, i find it endearing and somewhat funny. IMO her world is going to shatter and its all going to come crashing down.

There is no action, no real "hook" yet. It takes so much balls to make a show like this. Marvel i tip my hats to you.

justtxyank, TWS1986, jiggyfly and 5 others like this.
  7. Garner

Garner Member

Absolutely. It was crisp, refreshing, and weird.

You would not typically consider Marvel/DC to have a lot of creative freedom, but WandaVision really stretches the bounds of what a Marvel should could be.

I'm not sure I want 10 episodes in the WandaVision style, but I really enjoyed the first two.

Jontro and B-Bob like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Finally broke down and watched the first 2 eps because news feeds had potential spoilers in their titles. First ep was mostly cringe inducing. I'm old enough to remember Bewitched and Lucy, so some bright points here and there, but nothing that taps the full potential of the characters where they left off in Endgame.

I guess the 70s is next?

The reviews tipped off the sense that it would be a slow boil. I'll admit I'm jaded from JJ Abrams-esque Mystery McGuffin Theatre, but I do think Kevin Feige has the credibility to oversee something like this that will have meaningful questions pay off.

The other thing is that the slow drip reveals doesn't work well with the week by week release format, but that expectation's on me after watching Netflix. It's also something you don't normally do on network since weekly ratings were king.

I guess Legion on FX is the closest analog for something like this. Enjoyed the first weird and disjointed season, but didn't watch the remaining episodes...

Something not mentioned in the spoiler:
    The commercial about the (Baron) Strucker Watch with the Hydra logo. Seems like either she struck a deal with Hydra or she somehow got captured by them. Blowback is this fantasyworld with her un-dead boyfriend?

Can't guess what the beeman is about

#108 Invisible Fan, Jan 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'm probably gonna skip this 1st season until it ends. this slow decade sitcom style show isn't doing it for me. we get the point, no need to spend more episodes on it. im guessing they will do 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s,10s, then she wakes up from her dream. that's 5 more useless episodes.

TWS1986 likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beekeeper was wearing a S.W.O.R.D logo on his back. The toy helicopter she found in the bushes also had a S.W.O.R.D. logo on it.

[​IMG]

S.W.O.R.D. is basically an offshoot of S.H.I.E.L.D. to deal with outer space threats, apparently.

I'm guessing both, as well as the "banging tree limb" bit are attempts by S.W.O.R.D. to break into her alternate reality bubble and she's having none of it.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Strucker was the hydra guy who has Wanda and Pietro captured and were doing experiments on them with Loki’s s scepter which had the Mind Stone.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

They should have called this TENET. Nobody knows what is going on or why they are watching it.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I never heard of SWORD until I read Joss Whedon's X-Men series. Was thas the first appearance of SWORD? I remember someone had Colossus locked up. Maybe they have Vision locked up somewhere.

14. Xerobull

You nailed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.W.O.R.D._(comics)

15. Xerobull

Good speculative video, (possibly huge) spoilers:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Xerobull likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

After I started to think of it like House of M or like what your describing I was instantly interested.

Made me actually want disney+.

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I agree. I’m just not feeling it and I wanted to. Someone please send me a virtual hug to make me change my mind

TWS1986 likes this.
  19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But tenet spelled backwards is tenet
    Like radar

ROXRAN and Xerobull like this.
  20. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Rofl.