1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] The Punisher (Netflix)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The Punisher Is Getting His Own Spinoff

[​IMG]

While Netflix CCO Ted Sarandos would only say “We’re still on the five we originally announced,” when asked about reports of a spinoff revolving around The Punisher, several reliable outlets – like Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter – revealed over the weekend that they are indeed developing a show starring the character. It’s obviously early days, but those lucky enough to have seen the first two episodes of Daredevil’s second season have pointed to Jon Bernthal being a highlight, so if he really is that great, it’s far from a shock that Netflix are confident in the veteran character actor being able to hold his own in a solo series.

The signs point to Daredevil telling the early days of Frank Castle’s career as a vigilante (how much do you want to bet he’ll get the iconic skull symbol in the finale?), so a spinoff to continue his story away from the Man Without Fear feels apt. Bernthal made that clear during the show’s panel at the TCAs, when he stated that, “His superpower is his rage. He’s not going to quit. He’s going to go forward no matter what. This show is a perfect world to reintroduce a character like that.” He also wouldn’t shed any light on these reports, but Marvel making if official before Daredevil launches seems likely as that’ll increase interest in his appearance there.

Of course, another major character being introduced in the show this year is Elektra, but Sarandos was equally as coy about that, promising only that ANY hero or villain who shows up could get their own show.

2. VanityHalfBlack

Thank you for creating separate threads on these shows. I will keep my eye out indefinitely for this series. Been a Punisher fan since I was a kid. I normally don't care for comic books and whatnot but I'm going in purely nostalgia and memories. Plus I need to jump on a new series and watch from start to finish.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/punisher/update-marvel-and-netflixs-punisher-spinoff-officially-on-the-way-first-a141108

[​IMG]

In a bit of news sure to please fans of Jon Bernthal's ultra-violent take on the Marvel vigilante, EW reports that the Punisher character first introduced in season 2 of Netflix's Daredevil is officially getting the spinoff treatment.

Apparently Hannibal writer/executive producer Steve Lightfoot will serve as showrunner.

There's also the implication that we may see Castle show up in the superhero ensemble show, The Defenders, before he takes the fight to the scum of Hell's Kitchen in his solo adventure.

[​IMG]

“We want to thank the fans who are clamoring for more of Jon’s stunning and powerful performance as Frank Castle from ‘Marvel’s Daredevil,'” said Executive Producer/Head of Marvel Television, Jeph Loeb, “Now combined with Showrunner Steve Lightfoot’s compelling writing, we’re thrilled to bring 'Marvel’s The Punisher' to Netflix.”

“Jon hooked our global audience with his performance as Frank Castle from the moment he stepped on screen in 'Marvel’s Daredevil,' and we are looking forward to seeing more of him in this role under the vision of Steve Lightfoot,” said Cindy Holland, Netflix Vice President of Original Content.

“For me, the complexity and unpredictability of Frank Castle make him an incredibly compelling character and I couldn’t be more excited to dive into his world,” said Executive Producer and Showrunner, Steve Lightfoot. “After watching Jon’s performance in ‘Marvel’s Daredevil’ I could not be more excited to be working with him to further develop and progress the story of this anti-hero in a show of his own.”