1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] She-Hulk (Disney+)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

‘She-Hulk’ TV Series in the Works at Disney+ [D23]
    Posted on Friday, August 23rd, 2019 by Jacob Hall

[​IMG]

The Incredible Hulk has been a scene-stealer on the big screen in the Marvel Cinematic Universe for over a decade, but now everyone’s favorite giant green rage monster is no longer alone: a She-Hulk Disney+ series is heading to the new streaming service from Marvel Studios. The show was announced at the Disney+ panel at the D23 convention and while it’s still early days for the project, here’s what we know.

The new show will follow Jennifer Walters, aka She-Hulk, who is Bruce Banner’s cousin in the comics and receives an emergency blood transfusion that gives her a milder form of a transformation into her her own version of the Hulk. But while pre-Avengers: Endgame Bruce Banner struggled to control his temper, She-Hulk is able to basically live normally while having green skin and super strength. In fact, she’s a lawyer, so this could end up be the MCU’s first legal drama. The most beloved She-Hulk comic also tend to be very funny, with Jennifer dabbling in superhuman law, so there is a lot of fun stuff to mine here.

[​IMG]

Although Bruce Banner and his angry counterpart headlined their own MCU movie with 2008’s oft-forgotten The Incredible Hulk, the character truly became a favorite among audiences when he became an ongoing supporting character. He stole scenes in The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor: Ragnarok, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, leading people to wonder when he would get the solo spotlight again. That clearly isn’t happening here, but will Mark Ruffalo show up in this series? We don’t have confirmation about that yet, but it seems like a given.

The Hulk’s film appearances have proved tricky due to ongoing legal red tape. You see, Ang Lee’s 2003 film Hulk was distributed by Universal, who also had a hand in the 2008 film. For some time, that meant they had a right to be involved in future Hulk films, and once Disney acquired Marvel, that was no longer an option. But perhaps something was resolved behind-the-scenes. Maybe that deal only applies to theatrical releases, or maybe that’s part of the reason we’re getting a She-Hulk series here instead of seeing a more traditional Hulk show. In any case, She-Hulk will smash up the streaming in a brand new show of her own, and it sounds like this could be a lot of fun.

2. Xerobull

She-Hulk Casts Tatiana Maslany as MCU’s Jennifer Walters

[​IMG]

It looks like Marvel and Disney have finally found the right actress to play Jennifer Walters, aka She-Hulk, in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Emmy-winning actress Tatiana Maslany, best known for her starring turn in Orphan Black, has been tapped to play the titular character in the She-Hulk TV series, set to be released on Disney+. Kat Coiro had already been hired to direct multiple episodes of the series, while Jessica Gao will lead the writers room and serve as showrunner.

She-Hulk is going to follow Jennifer Walters, who is the cousin of Bruce Banner, aka The Hulk. Jennifer, a lawyer, gets a blood transfusion from Bruce, which ultimately gives her similar powers. Unlike most versions of the Hulk, however, Jennifer remains intelligent and in control when she hulks out.

Mark Ruffalo's Hulk in the MCU, known affectionately as Professor Hulk, is in a similar situation to Jennifer. He's constantly in his Hulk form, but he's still his genius self 100% of the time. There has been no word as to when this She-Hulk series will take place in the MCU timeline, but if it's after the events of Avengers: Endgame, expect to see the Hulk version of Ruffalo make an appearance.

Before nabbing the role of Jennifer Walters, Maslany starred on BBC America's Orphan Black for five seasons. She was nominated for three Emmys and one Golden Globe over the course of the show's five-year run, taking home the Emmy in 2016. Most recently, Maslany starred in HBO's Perry Mason opposite Matthew Rhys.

She-Hulk
    is one of many TV projects in development at Disney+ from Marvel Studios. WandaVision is the first of these projects expected to be released on the streaming service, arriving later this year. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was originally slated to debut in August, but a shutdown of the production due to COVID-19 changed those plans. Other shows in the works include Ms. Marvel, Loki, and Moon Knight

boomboom likes this.
  3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Bold.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Oh wow. I really like that casting. She was great in Orphan Black, especially the final season. She deserved some acting awards for that season.

5. Xerobull

I’ve never heard of her and barely of the show.

watched this:

And she’s adorable.

Bonus: my wife’s favorite marvel character and she was worried it would be Allison Brie, who she doesn’t like.

Going to have to check the show out.

Rocket River likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Full stop, how can she not like Allison Brie?

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I love the actress but isn't She Hulk supposed to betall and big?

Maslany is tiny.

edwardc likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

crossing my fingers it will be a green version of suits.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Right?

Time machine to 20 years ago and get Xena to do it.

Hell, she still looks great today.

Jontro and jiggyfly like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It seems like her acting got better as the show progressed. By the final season I knew she would be big at some point.

boomboom likes this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Maybe she'll work out some and get some muscle definition. Who knows. Maybe she'll just be smaller and weaker than comics? Like Jessica Jones strength?

I remember that when Gal Gadot was first cast as Wonder Woman there were a lot of people who were mad that it went to a model and not some larger, muscular woman. But Gadot buffed up enough and now she is considered a great casting.

12. Xerobull

I don’t know. Something about thinking she’s probably a cold b**** IRL.

She has a jealous streak. I don’t go there.

13. Xerobull

She’s a hulk. CGI

DreamShook and jiggyfly like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Wiser words have never been spoken.

B-Bob and Xerobull like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Maslany is 5-4 she hulk is 6 feet plus.

K Ritter and Gadot are at least reasonably tall not really the same thing and Gadot had been in action films before WW.

Whats the use of making She Hulk weaker and smaller?

I love the actress and she can do action but she is tiny.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Was thinking about that but she is in Hulk form fulltime.

How does that work?

17. Xerobull

iIRC, In the comics, She-Hulk can transform at will, just chooses to stay in hulk form (who wouldn’t?). She keeps her personality.

I’m guessing they will write her as normal until it’s time to throw down.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What I'm saying is, I'm sure they have a plan. They won't be surprised when they see that she is 5'4" when she shows up on set to shoot a scene. Height is easy to overcome on-camera if the situation calls for it.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because they typically cast well and I like Maslany as an actress.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like the lead choice. She was great on orphan.

Much better fit than what I’ve seen of other female leads

boomboom likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'm in

Rocket River