1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel TV] FX's Legion (2017)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

link

Show about the Marvel Mutant Legion
    Professor X's loony super-powerful son

[​IMG]

Yesterday's Legion panel at New York Comic-Con was certainly an interesting one, as along with a new casting announcement, we found out that the show would acknowledge Charles Xavier as the father of Dan Stevens' David Haller. Plus, Jeph Loeb confirmed that Fox and Marvel are "building bridges" when it comes to the X-Universe.

Fans were expecting a new trailer to follow the panel, but for the time being we'll have to settle for this poster, which features Haller seemingly tapping in to one of his more aggressive personalities. We'll update if an official version is released.

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

That was one of the most unique premiere episodes I've ever seen.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Definitely unique... I'll follow for a few episodes to really judge but FXs production value on everything is so great. They are bordering HBO quality with the shows they're putting out except for the fighting and action scenes.

Ive never been able to stand the marvel shows on Netflix cause the fighting and action scenes always seemed so budgetly made. Same with this but I'm going to follow for the storyline.

4. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

This was a fantastic start.

David/Syd relationship was written far better than most of the Marvel stuff so far.

Aubrey Plaza is great.

5. Buck Turgidson

Just realized that the creator/writer/director is Noah Hawley, the genius behind Fargo. Not really a comic book guy but this definitely makes it a must watch for me.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I was pretty impressed with the first episode, the pilot was disorienting by design which made for an interesting experience. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the season.

seclusion likes this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Ice bear likes.

boomboom, seclusion and GRENDEL like this.
  8. val_modus

val_modus Member

Aside from the forced I LOVE YOU AND IM REAL at the end, that was an incredible premiere... FX has really been bringing it lately.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That premiere hooked me. Very different.

10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Anywhere to watch Legion online for free?

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Watched it last night. Definitely different.

I guess Aubrey Plaza will be sticking around as a part of his imagination?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Out in a frenzy. Worth watching I hope.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If they're trying to do Mojo, that's a wild concept for TV. Minds will be blown.

Rocket River likes this.
  14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What makes you think that? Seems like a Longshot

seclusion likes this.
  15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

FXNetworks.com

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Fat yellow dude. Dozens of TV screens on a hill playing different pieces of Haller's life scene. Caged Warwolf. Seems obvious. But maybe you're agreeing with me - Longshot.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

internet says it is

Personally i find it frustrating when, as a viewer, i don't know whats real and whats not. I hope they don't keep that up. Its also just cheesy writing. To sum up a bunch of story lines all you basically have to do is say 'this or that wasn't real'. Like the Lost ending or something.

#17 tallanvor, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the devil with the yellow eyes (haven't read any internet speculation so I could be way out of line with the "internet hive mind"):

The other fleshed out "invisible" character is Lenny, who seems to be inside David now. Very much not "real" in the traditional sense, in any case. As I understand it, multiple personalities is pretty core to the character of "Legion", hence the name. I was assuming that both Aubrey Plaza and the Devil with the Yellow Eyes were both inside of David, and were going to have a chance to "take his body out for a test drive" at some point, probably the worst point imaginable. If he doesn't have the many personalities, how do you even explain the name "Legion"? It seems like removing all the different personalities each with separate discrete powers from the main "David" personality makes the whole show into something pretty unrelated to the source material - to me, it takes it one step too far away. I have trouble with seeing Aubrey Plaza signing on if it's just to show up as David's conscience every 2 or 3 episodes. Also, Haller is still just a week off his meds per the first episode... he should become more symptomatic pretty quickly, as his crazy ramps up, freed from the chains of psychopharmacology.

His psychological struggles with himself are pretty much the thing that makes this series interesting, beyond the high quality production aesthetic. I find an internal bad guy to be more logical than an external one, if they want to keep the series consistent thematically.

If I had to guess, we're going to get a few episodes of plot setup on the big struggle between the "good guys" and the "bad guys" and once everything is set up cleanly in front of you, Haller's multiple personalities suddenly manifesting in a limited way maybe 1/2 way or 2/3 of the way through the season. Alternately, they could build on the "voices in his head" getting louder and louder with the multiple personality angle appearing in the season finale as the season cliff-hanger.

IMO, a strong external "superivillian" doesn't really make that much sense from the story as I understand it right off the bat. The story is all about Heller's internal issues and his trouble keeping enough control to be effective as a mutant/super hero. I'd bet on the same generic "government thugs" as the bad guys through the end of the first season at least.

Edit:

Interesting quote from Aubrey Plaza I just read, from an article titled Aubrey Plaza says Legion "is just going to get crazier":

#18 Ottomaton, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Anybody watch last nights episode? Thoughts?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is this like the movie Split just with more supernatural powers I guess?