1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] The Marvels (Captain Marvel 2)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jul 21, 2019.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Captain marvel is the only marvel movie I watched and couldn’t finish it, it was that bad to me ...everything else by marvel I enjoyed tbh

Jontro likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You're right. She says 'I have nothing to prove to you.'

Same message: she (woman) doesn't have to prove anything to him (men). She's fine on her own.

I have zero problems with being a feminist. In fact, I am a feminist. I just think this was a ham-fisted attempt at a metaphor.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It was certainly in the lowest tier of Marvel movies. I'm not one who really complains about such things, but the girl power stuff in captain marvel and then the over top scene in endgame bugged me. Plus they really made the character far too OP.

Hopefully they do things more organically in this one. Brie Larson is perfectly capable of carrying a great movie if the writing is better.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

There's still hope for this franchise as I think most of us have collectively wiped the first two Thor movies from our minds when Ragnarok came out. New director and screenwriter this time with the latter being a part of the WandaVision creative team.

FLASH21 likes this.
  5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Captain Marvel 1 felt like an entire movie of the final speech from Falcon and Winter Soldier. It had an important message but the poor writing and heavy handedness completely suffocated that into being almost comical. My wife is super woke and said it was the worst Marvel movie she's seen.

Part of the problem the MCU is going to have is that some of these characters (or iterations of characters) were never that popular among even comic book fans. People just aren't as excited about Captain Marvel as they were about Ironman or Captain America.

6. lpbman

lpbman Member

It's pretty direct, but it's also appropriate in context. Dude's been literally holding her back with the thing in her neck and manipulating her, and is trying one more time to keep from being beaten into a pulp.

I had more of a problem with the all women scene in endgame. There is no reason for only the girls to show up at that moment but then I remember that representation matters... especially for kids and young teens and remind myself it's a superhero movie, not Taxi Driver or Raging Bull as Scorsese would like us to remember.

Good for them, I think.

dmoneybangbang and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

The neck thing is another (terrible) metaphor for men controlling women.

Her quote is a statement of women's equality and emancipation from men. Google it, I'm not the only person to think that and others can clarify far more eloquently than me.

The A-Force (all-woman Avengers team) moment was a fan nod and fun point for the movie. It said 'these women are badasses' not 'we're just as good as men!' (like they tried to do with CM1).

[​IMG]

Again, I have no problem with women's equality, I just think as a message it wasn't handled very smoothly in CM1. And that's part of what I didn't like about it. It was poorly directed, IMO.

Jontro likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

A Force could be a bad ass movie and yeah I thought Captain Marvel was a bit heavy handed and it came as close to a true filler movie than I have seen Marvel do.

It was totally place setting.

#48 jiggyfly, May 4, 2021
    Last edited: May 4, 2021
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Sir, you will never wipe from my mind any film that includes Natalie Portman.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol to each his own but I think Love and Thunder can/will replace those two movies for you when Portman shows up to be Thor.

MadMax likes this.
  11. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

When does the Fox Force 5 movie come out?

robbie380 and Xerobull like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Do you like sand?

RunninRaven and Xerobull like this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Brie is cheesy.

Jontro, mikol13 and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you think anyone here understands your Rice Epicurean ways?
    They don't know Guoda

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  16. MadMax

I love it

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’m rewatching the entire phase one thru three in order. I’ve skipped this movie, because it was meh, but still need to make myself watch it.

Hopefully the 2nd is better.

side note: I really enjoy the movies and what they did throughout. I’ve seen movies several times, but going back and watching in order...Holy hell are they really good. The details that were used along the way to paint their whole story actually blow my mind. I’m totally digging the rewatch.

FLASH21 likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

Jontro likes this.
  19. MadMax

Oscar worthy, tbh

Jontro likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

Oscar Meyer.