1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Iron Man 4

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SexyButIgnorant

eh, keep him in Avengers. His last 2 Iron Man movies were pretty bad.

2. Nook

Nook Member

steddinotayto

1 person likes this.
  3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I can only wish! :grin:

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Chandler Parsons.
    Judging from CF he'd be the most hated villain in a long time.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought you comic book nerds might appreciate this. Courtesy of io9.

Spoilered, but it is about Downey/Iron Man, and a major role in a film that isn't an Iron Man film.

[rquoter]
    Robert Downey Jr.'s In Captain America 3. And It's to Start Civil War

We may finally know what Robert Downey Jr. was talking about when he said that there he was working on a deal with Marvel to do something that wasn't Iron Man 4. According to Variety, Downey's in the final stages of negotiations that'll bring Tony Stark in to Captain America 3 and begin the movies' take on Civil War.

There's a lot to unpack in Marc Graser's Variety story. First off, Graser reports that this almost didn't happen. The original script only had Tony in it for a little bit, which would have only taken Downey three weeks to film. Downey wanted a bigger part, which angered Marvel Entertainment chief Ike Perlmutter enough that he ordered Stark cut out of the script entirely. According to Variety's sources, Kevin Feige was determined to make this happen, negotiating with Downey's reps regardless of Perlmutter's decision:

[rquoter]
    The executive needed his boss to see the big picture, considering the introduction of the Civil War story is seen as a way to drive the plots of sequels and new franchises for the next seven years, given the dramatic possibilities it offers for future films. The fallout from the government and Stark's actions would factor into a new "Avengers 4″ film and beyond that will assemble new characters being introduced like Ant-Man and Doctor Strange, among others, in their own movies.

[/rquoter]

Second, as stated above, is how integral Civil War apparently is to the next phase of Marvel movie-making. It certainly sounds like this will be the thread connecting the universe. As for the movie's take on what was a massive and controversial crossover event — I have never, not even once, heard people talk about Marvel's Civil War without it getting very heated — Variety's description sounds pretty similar to the comic:

[rquoter]
    The deal is significant for the Marvel cinematic universe considering the plot will pit Stark against Captain America's alter-ego Steve Rogers, played by Chris Evans, as they feud over the Superhero Registration Act, which forces anyone with superhuman abilities to reveal their identities to the U.S. government and agree to act as a police force for the authorities.

Stark supports the program, but Rogers does not, saying it threatens civil liberties, causing sides to be taken and Rogers, among others, to go on the run to avoid arrest. The moral question and battle with his Avengers teammate essentially makes Stark a villain of sorts in "Captain America 3," providing Downey with a meaty role he could play out into future Marvel films, including a fourth "Avengers."

[/rquoter]

Now, Entertainment Weekly says this, which would pay Downey $40 million plus backend participation, is "far from a done deal." And no one's officially commenting on this yet. There's every chance this falls apart, and Marvel either rewrites their plan entirely (unlikely) or shifts Tony's part onto someone else's shoulders.

There are other things that make this likely. We've got Marvel announcing a reboot of the Civil War story in the comics, which could very well be designed to put that story back into people's minds before the films come out.

And Badass Digest adds a bunch of details, making clear that this is a co-starring role for Downey. They also point out that they've heard that Avengers: Age of Ultron ends with a new Avengers team and Tony retires from superheroing, feeling responsible for the fallout of the Ultron battle. That gives him the motive to be on the side of registration, which'll be a massive shift from where he was in Iron Man 2. They also say that Natasha Romanoff's testimony in front of Congress in Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a late addition to the film. If that's true, that feeds into the general trend of Marvel additions being there to seed future films.

Finally, there's evidence that Joss Whedon made sure to set up the Cap/Iron Man conflict in Avengers, because he told us back in 2010 that Civil War comes from their existing dynamic, which culminated in Civil War in the comics and manifested in Avengers as "witty banter."

For my part, I'd guess that the rumor that Marvel's trying to get Spider-Man into its films is also related to the Civil War plan. That would give the plot even more scope. There's also the obvious connection that Chris Evans' time as Captain America is coming to an end, and doing Civil War makes killing Steve Rogers a very real possibility. Plus, with SHIELD mostly gone, there's a vaccuum for the Superhero Registration Act to step into. If Tony feels that the Avengers, as privately funded by him, was a disaster, he might turn his support to the act.

There's every reason to believe that, yes, Civil War is coming to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That's a bigger test of audience goodwill than Guardians ever was.

[/rquoter]

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If this happens, all I'm going to say is "I called it".
    With that said Marvel is doing a new version of Secret War next year in the comics as well.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That Captain America 3 news is fun. I'm starting to think we wont see a final battle with Thanos until A4 or A3's 2nd installment (if they chose to copy Twilight and split the movie).

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I believe it will still be Avengers 3. Based on what I've read the idea is to have Cap3 kick off Civil War and each of the solo movies in Phase 3 will have that as the backdrop. My thinking is Thanos sees everyone pitted against one another and thinks this is the perfect time to strike leading to Avengers 3 (which is rumored to be in 2 parts anyway).

The rumor I don't like hearing (and I think it's bull**** anyway) is the rumor that the Russo brothers will direct Avengers 3. While I like them and they obviously proved they can direct these movies, Joss is still the guy in my opinion.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is a ballsy, but potentially spectacular move by Marvel.

For this to work though, they would really have to expand their super hero lineup, because none of the current Avengers have secret identities to reveal.

Still, looking forward to it. As long as Marvel keeps entertaining they can have my money.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Supposedly they're trying to rent Spider Man from Sony. I'm not sure if they'd use their actor or Marvel would find their own. I imagine Sony would want them to use theirs.

I don't think it'd carry much weight though, not without Spider Man getting his own backstory/buildup in the Marvel Universe. Can't see it working unless it's part of a slow play.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't know what would be better. Having a Peter Parker that most people dislike or having a third Peter Parker in less than 10 years?

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'll take a new Peter Parker thank you very much.

Garfield has an extremely punchable face, and we're supposed to like Peter Parker. Not even Emma Stone could get me to like these new Spider-Man movies.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Uh Tobey Macguire's face is way more punchable.
    Anyway Garfield is a very good spiderman. Wayyy better than Tobey, peter parker on the other hand is a different story. Honestly I couldn't care less if they used him or another spiderman. Also...amazing spiderman 2 was...awful.

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

It doesn't necessarily have to be about secret identities. The way I see it after Cap2 I don't think Cap would want to deal with anything government sanctioned. That's a really easy jump off point.

Everyone who isn't government sanctioned is considered Hydra. Easy.

15. steddinotayto

I might not agree with you on Allen Iverson but I 100% agree on Andrew Garfield.

Kudos for sticking to your guns, seclusion.

I don't even remember what the original Secret Wars was about and that's actually owning the original comics.

16. steddinotayto

The whole Spider-Man revealing his true identity did not drive the Civil War story at all IMO. Sure it made for some interesting talk about which side Spider-Man was on but the main story with Ironman vs. Captain America was solid. It's still unfortunate that we can't get the X-Men universe into this. I want to see husband vs. wife showdown between Black Panther and Storm.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Thank you, thank you. I actually haven't read Secret Wars, but my understanding is someone (Beyonder?) kidnaps a bunch of superheroes and makes them fight each other in an arena type setting.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Don't forget Human Torch vs Mr. Fantastic.

19. steddinotayto

All I remember was "Whoa! Spider-Man has a BLACK costume now!"

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think Iron Man 4 is great news, as long as the script and direction are first rate. Downey is one of my favorite actors, and I don't doubt that he has several more Marvel flicks in him for years to come. I agree with those who say his age matters not at all. I can't imagine someone else in the role.