1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Marvel Movie] Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 17, 2019.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Thought it was really solid. Not a perfect film but still really good.

My 9 year old loves GOTG, and begged me to go with. Yeah... it was a bit intense for her, but I would say the runtime was the biggest issue as she got a bit stir crazy. There's one kinda gorey scene that she didn't like. There's also the F-Bomb that you've seen in the trailers. She hears the F word more than I'd like, and she knows she's not allowed to say it, etc. so it's not that big of a deal. Whatever... it's one of those movies where she can say she has cool parents I guess....

Go see it for sure. Even the MAGA bro's who are comic nerds but love to whine about the MCU being "woke" will find nothing to whine about. It's just really good, and it's overstuffed in the best possible way with everything you've liked about GOTG in the past. It's just all kind of dialed up to 11, and the writer/director didn't care at all about serving a larger MCU plan which was kind of refreshing.

STR8Thugg, Pbev99, Jontro and 2 others like this.
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Saw it yesterday, it was really, really good. Action and emotion was on point. Great suspense.

The villain could have been fleshed out more and they made one of the best characters in Marvel, Adam Warlock into a punchline.

My kids loved it and my son who is usually fidgety had rapt attention.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with this.
    While the directors/writers were free to do what they want with the existing team, they had to setup the replacement team (without killing anyone too marketable in case they are needed to prop up the brand later if [or when] the new guys flop). The MCU for what it seems like for three or four years now has been moslty about changing of the guard so that the new teams can take on the threats to the Multiverse. I'd guess there was at least 20 minutes devoted to setting up the new team.

#123 Joe Joe, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Rocket River likes this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Saw it this weekend at 10:30PM(3 hour or run time)

-It was nice to get a Rocket backstory but felt like it was out of nowhere they just went with him as the focal point.Are you telling me he never got this injured in other movies? They just discovered his kill switch now? Very very dark storyline killing his friends and him slicing open that guys face with the key card over and over
    -lots of animal abuse/torture p*rn
    -lots of cheesy humor, some was funny, some didn't land
    -tone was uneven, would be funny, would try to pull your heartstrings, be goofy again, and then try to be serious(some one liner with "let's kick some alien butt" and then some old ass song would start)
    -the Quill Ipod/music fetish thing would so outplayed for me; he's wearing an ear piece as he's going into the final battle lol
    -everyone survived and everyone got a happy ending, no real suspense or endangerment to any of the characters
    -Absolute waste of the golden people especially the new villain
    -Predictable plot(everyone knew that guy with the red pen would figure it out at the last second to kill all those guys)
    -Don't really know where to go with Star Lord as he goes back to Earth
    -Incredibly cheesy last 10 or so minutes when everyone is saying bye and the dancing to Florence and the Machine of all the things you could dance to lol
    -The 2 credit scenes were worthless
    -Felt like other than the Rocket backstory, there wasn't anything else going for any of the other people. Gamora seemed like a shell of her former self
    -I could care less about the canine character who talked in another language....like why?

#124 zeeshan2, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
    Jontro and GRENDEL like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I thought of that hand-off you referring to as being in the vein of Nolan's send off at the end of TDKR. It was a scene designed to tell the audience ... "hey the heroes will be out there doing their thing!" than what the MCU typically does with teasing the next piece of the equation.

There's a big difference between Joseph Gordon Levitt's character finding the batcave at the end, and Tony Stark being recruited by Nick Fury to start the "Avengers Initiative." The ending here feels more like Nolan's TDKR send off than a normal MCU post credit tease IMO.

I'll be surprised if we see anything Guardians related for another 5 years at least. Mostly because they've already announced the slate of projects anyways, and it's clear that this series is pretty much a wrap for the foreseeable future.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dump:

• I agree it was a bit of a mess but the story they laid out worked well.
    • I liked the Rocket-centric storyline.
    • Warlock was cast perfectly for the role he had. They said he was removed from the cocoon too early and that he was a child.
    • Again, this movie is not for kids. It's ****ing nightmare fuel for any kid under 12 or so.
    • High Evolutionary was sort of all over the place. Is he this omnipotent super villain or does he do everything on his own?
    • Some of the Knowwhere scenes were weird. So people just hang out outside and build crap together? Not really a very realistic society.
    • They got me for a second with Starlord's 'death' at the end. Then he's perfectly cleaned up when the rest of the Guardians are still dirty and scuffed up during the goodbyes....sort of a headscratcher. I would imagine space exposure would at least put him in the space hospital.
    • Agree that Gamora's role was sort of wasted. No real character growth, and at this point, I don't really care what happens to her.
    • Cosmo was adorable. The Howard the Duck cameo was great, too.
    • New GOTG team was cool in the post-credit scene. I'd like to see that group get it's own series. It's just b-listers at best with some voice actors. I think they could make a very good Disney+ series with them. Not inconsequential to see where the Guardians are going in the future.

Rocket River and GRENDEL like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Kang Dynasty/Secret Wars are only 2-3 years out. I took the development of Kraglin, Warlock, Cosmo, and Phyla to be setting up the GotG team that will show up in one or 2 of those movies so those movies (or at least Secret Wars) don't have to explain who these characters are (when did Kraglin get good at using Yondo's arrow?, why is Warlock a good guy?, who's the cute puppy?, who's the kid?). I thought there was a lot of time spent on these 4 characters to develop them for future cameos in non-GoTG movies.

Nick likes this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I absolutely love Gamora's role. She didn't have the same experiences as the other Gamora. Quill is like an ex-boyfriend without any of the good memories and he's just a sad clingy wreck from her POV. The rest of the team was just her sister and Quill's friends. There was no reason for her to change.

Nick likes this.
  9. CrazyJoeDavola

[​IMG]

Xerobull likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think Marvel fatigue has finally hit me…I had low expectations for this, but word of mouth that I’ve heard has been good…I just have no motivation to go to the theater

Jontro, Invisible Fan and Blake like this.
  11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

A nice rundown of Easter eggs for anyone who's interested.....

James Gunn’s Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3 premiered at number one at the box office this week. Fans have been waiting for the final chapter in Gunn’s Guardians trilogy, that we almost didn’t get. Thankfully, that error was righted, and now we can see the scope of Gunn’s story. As usual, the film is loaded to the brim with Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 easter eggs and references. What did we find?

WARNING!!!! There will be spoilers for Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3!

https://www.joblo.com/guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-easter-eggs/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Xerobull likes this.
  12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Movie- 7-10.

Good not great.

I think after seeing Infinity War which I considered almost perfection 10/10... all Marvel has been blah

Even End Game was maybe a 8 of 10.

I have a feeling you will see all of the Guardians again.

STR8Thugg and Pbev99 like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I though it was a Solid Movie
    8 out of 10
    Hit some good beats and was humorous at points

Rocket River

14. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I enjoyed the movie. I think they ended the trilogy on a good note that was true to who the characters were in that moment instead of trying to wrap everything up in a pretty bow.

One thing everyone has to keep in mind is that age and contracts play a role in these movies. The first Guardians came out 9 years ago. Batista can't play a jacked Drax forever and all these supporting characters start wanting big money when they re-up for new contracts. So, at some point you just have to transition these characters if you want to continue the franchise.

• Rocket was essentially the main character of the movie and I loved it. He's always been the most interesting one of the group. It didn't even seem weird for him to take over as captain, it made perfect sense.
    • I hated the Adam Warlock angle they went with. They basically made him a big goofy idiot. I get why they did it because he's basically replacing Drax on the team but it's really a waste of a character.
    • The High Evolutionary sucked but I wasn't too fussed about it. Outside of a small handful, Marvel uses villains to tell a story about their heroes. In this case he was just the obstacle that creates Rocket and got you to care more about him and it worked.
    • Some things I didn't like were the character inconsistencies. So, at the beginning of the movie Quill is telling Drax/Gamora not to kill anyone but at the end he tells Groot to kill them all and he just destroys the bald guy with the data in head. Also, Drax being the only one to know the kids language and now be the dad to all of them on Knowhere seems odd.
    • The Gamora/Nebula relationship has switched completely. I know it was done purposefully but I think I would have liked to see more of Gamora caring for her sister.
    • I really liked that they didn't have the predictable scene where Quill does some big gesture and Gamora fall in love again. At the beginning she's barely learning his name and at the end she's so happy to join back up with her ravager friends, that's her family at this point. She's not gonna fall in love with him in 48 hours.
    • One thing I'm wondering with the ending of Quill on earth is if they're trying to reverse course a little from the full B team Avengers, keeping some holdovers. Maybe they give Starlord the chance to redeem himself from Infinity war.

15. Buck Turgidson

Exactly where I'm at...and I do really want to see it but I can wait.

Blake likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It was ok. Pretty good. Fine. No big issues with it but didn't love it.

Kinda surprised no one died. Surprised and a little disappointed. But at the same time I'm not really upset with how the characters ended their respective stories so I'm not that disappointed. We just don't get many hero deaths in Marvel and I thought we'd get one here.

17. Buck Turgidson

I'm disappointed that you're a grown-ass-bbs-savvy-man who doesn't know how to use spoiler tags. ;)

Jontro likes this.
  18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I considered using them. That should count for something.

After a movie has been released, it's the wild west in these threads. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Jontro

Jontro Member

8.5/10

there were tons of 5-7 year olds in my theater and they were pretty loud. the movie was pretty good. for those who haven’t watched, drax ded.

also at this point, pretty tired of the oldies that tim gun grew up with in the 90s. the baddie was also lame. like there was no world ending threat. just some breh with a stretched face doing his hobby really.

post credit scenes have been lame since end game.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8.5 stars for lame....naisu.

Jontro likes this.