1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mars Volta: Deloused in the Comatorium

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chicken Boy, Jun 24, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

When At the Drive In broke up quite awhile ago, they split into two bands: Sparta, which consists of the more poppy minded ATDI members, and The Mars Volta, which features the guys with the afros.

I've been looking forward to Volta's debut album for upwards of a year now, ever since I heard "Roulette Dares". I really expect great things from these guys, their potential is really through the roof.

De-Loused in the Comatorium drops tomorrow, I was wondering if anybody else was into Volta and if you were gonna pick it up.

Edit: Oh yeah, and so you guys don't think Mars Volta is just some crappy obscure band, they recently were on a very successful tour with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Flea and John Frusciante were so blown away by the music that they agreed to contribute on bass and guitar to the album. Even the immortal Rick Rubin signed on to produce.

#1 Chicken Boy, Jun 24, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  2. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

roulette dares was a great. ill probably pick up the new one tommorrow. i cant wait to hear it. i hope they stayed away from the poppy sparta sound to get more radio play. ill bet they had a lil more money to spend on production this time as well. im expecting great things.

ill post my review after i hear the album.

Brian

edit: oh wow, i just read your edit. thats amazing. im going to record store asap now.

3. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

ATDI have been such a great band. Unfortunately I did not get an ear on the Mars Volta recordings. But will surely check out the new one.

What do you guys think about "And you will know us by the Trail of dead"? I like those guys even better then ATDI.

4. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Trail of Dead is almost one of my favorite bands. Their latest LP is stoner rock at its peak.

5. Palmray

Palmray Contributing Member

Do you mean the "source tags...." one or the latest output which was kinda an ep?

I once saw them live (fall 2002), damn they were so good.

6. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

NEW MARS VOLTA = EVEN MORE AMAZING THAN I EXPECTED

wow. the production on this album is amazing. they use their signature alternate time signatures and fast moving bass lines. the drums sound awesome. i guess rick rubin wanted to clean up the vocals. not as many effects as before (a good thing). alot of strange, but interesting harmony dub overs.

i think flea played bass on a few tracks. sounds really good.

they re-recorded a few songs. "roulette dares" and "cicatriz esp" which i think was formerly called "state your preference".

from beginning to end this is a very solid album.

and to think, at best buy its only $6.99. i kinda feel like the band is getting cheated, but hey.. thats what they were charging.

lemme know what you guys think.

Brian

7. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

chicken boy,

im assuming you are gonna go out and get the album today...

was "state your preference" a mars volta tune or defacto? i found it online under mars volta about a year ago, but the only thing they have offically put out is the EP with "cut that city" on it. im thinking that maybe both "roulette dares" and "state your preference" were first defacto songs. doesnt really matter, same guys. just interesting....

Brian

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

I've downloaded alot of their stuff (MV), some is great some fillerish type material. I can't wait to get the album, I have enjoyed some of Sparta's stuff 4 or 5 songs, but Mars Volta is where the soul of ATDI is at I believe. Keep the reviews coming this album sounds like a winner. Its great all this new music is coming out that is high quality, it reminds me of 80's college radio days. The lost decade of 90's music not including the Seattle sound (late 80's early 90's) and Radiohead (and very few others) is over I hope. The 90's alt radio Creed movement is officially dead, I hope "WITH ARMS WIDE OPEN :D .

Why MV is touring with the Chili Peppers and Snoop is beyond me, I wish they would tour on their own. :(
    I'm sure they will soon, they are a band to see in a small club, not on a giant stage as an opening act.

9. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

State Your Preference is a mistitling of "Cicatrix", which would later be renamed "cicatriz esp". I'm almost positive it's originally a Mars Volta joint...De Facto is a dub band. Roulette Dares is Volta also.

This album is freakin' incredible. I haven't bought an album with a 12 minute song in a LONNNNNNNG time. Pretentious, insane time signatures, pure rock and roll.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I wonder if one of their band members recently dying is going to hurt the future of these guys.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I've listened to the album about 1.5 times so far, and I was pretty impressed. It probably will only get better the more I listen to it. Plus, I got it for $6.99 at Best Buy. :)

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

T.O.D is my favorite band by far (check my sig), and its cool cause they are out of Austin. They have a great site/forum: http://www.trailofdead.com/indexframes.htm
    People posting from all corners of the world, lots of recommendations on great new bands. Reading stories about their shows around the country/world are usually hilarious as they tend to indulge heavily before they perform... ;)
    Their new EP is good not a classic like Source Tags and Codes though, but its just an EP. All their albums are excellent, I highly recommend them all.
    I need to get the new Mars Volta asap sounds incredible (ATDI is one of my favs as well).

KC

13. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

I found a great description of the Volta sound on the web last night. Led Zeppelin + Santana + Fugazi + Pink Floyd. Shaken, not stirred.

14. weakfromtoday

Supporting Member

no Rush? come on! or is it toooo obvious? :)

Brian

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It was Jeremy Ward who died.:(

16. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Rush is wayyy tooo insanely obvious.