1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Married Men ...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JeopardE, Apr 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

Ditto

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

You're going to lose it sooner or later, so I wouldn't spend too much on it.

I bought one for ~$120 (12 years ago or so) that was 18 karat yellow gold. Pretty plain except a beaded border on both sides. The beaded border broke off in bits over time, so I don't recommend anything like that. Then, about 8 years ago, a cold day in Galveston made my knuckle easier to pass over than usual and I accidentally flung the ring off into the weeds. We looked and looked and couldn't find it. My father gave me his ring (he never wears it because he did a manual labor job), which was 24 karat gold from France and about 40 years old. I've worn that one since.

My wife also lost her wedding band. She gave it to our first-born when she was a toddler to distract her at the grocery store. I bought her a new one on our 10th anniversary.

I know a number of friends who have similar stories. Not everybody, but it happens. So, my advice is: don't buy anything that is too expensive to lose.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

research???? :confused:

Link, please. :p

SRSLY, though... why would you lose it? It's supposed to stay ON all the time. NO?

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Go to a store, pick the one you like, and tell her to buy it for you... no matter what it costs, hers was more.

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Get a watch instead

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

That's what I have now. I have my original gold band but my fingers have gotten fatter over the past 22 years and it has engraving inside with decoration outside so sizing is expensive. I really didn't want to spend a boat load on a new one as it's more of a symbol and I like the look of the titanium.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

When all is said and done the ring is purely symbolic and means little in the grand scheme of things.

Spending major money is a waste that could be better used elsewhere.

Get a simple band.

9. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

I think my band was like $30 bucks on ebay! It's been six years and it hasn't turned my finger green so it's real gold.

Save the money for something else.

10. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

I wouldn't waste the money on it, but if you do, I'd get one from Costco. I bought my wife's engagement ring there and compared to a jewelry store it was less than half the price. After an incident where she thought she lost it, she stopped wearing it. We bought a cheap wedding band for her (no ring for me). After our wedding we returned the engagement ring to Costco and used the money to fund our Honeymoon in Europe.

1 person likes this.
  11. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

Went with the white gold, "cheaper" option last year, definitely took some convincing to wear it, but I got used to it.

The palladium stuff looked cool, but if you happen to break that finger with the ring on, you can't cut palladium, from what I was told.....:eek:

Best of luck and congrats.

12. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Hey....congrats on the wedding. As has been said here a bunch of times -- nobody cares about your ring except maybe you. There's no 2 mos' salary "guidelines", your friends won't gather around saying omgOMGomgOMG let me see the ring!

Might be important to your wife or you for you to wear one -- but other then that -- it's just a metal band. So unless you're a jewelry guy, no need to spend more then you'd spend on a couple of seats to any other good metal band...buy what you like...or what's meaningful to you...there are truly NO expectations here -- possibly the only part of the wedding where that's the case!

13. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I'd say spend 5-10% of your monthly salary, that should be a reasonable amount. I don;t know too many people who actually wear their rings. I guess its a preference, nobody really cares after a little while...

14. Secret Agent 7

get an Art Carved band - I've been married for 5 years and have probably worn it 10 times...

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

Why buy a ring that... no, I mean, anything, you WON'T wear? :confused:

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I went with white gold after initially leaning toward platinum.

Check out palladium as well. It's strong and inexpensive. I ran across it right before I/we picked my band out.

17. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i thought this thread was about the Roches.

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ov3OCrNiZ_4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>