1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marriage: How Old?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Pete Chilcutt, Nov 8, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I know many people on this site are married, so just wondering, how old were you when you got married?

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

21 and 2 weeks old my friend.

Far too young.

3. Pete Chilcutt

Still married to her?

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Now about to turn 27.

We have had a rough trot at times, not all because we were both so young, but that certainly didnt help matters.

Split for about 10 months from August last year to middle of this year, now gradually getting our stuff together.

I definitely married the right woman, but you can STILL be too young to get married to that right woman....in other words, if she is infact the right woman, she will still be there when you are a little older.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

qft...

6. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Been married five years & it's been the best time of my life. Not even close.

7. Pete Chilcutt

Interesting. Good advice thanks AR.

8. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

haha, your childhood must of really sucked!

j/k.

Happy to hear.

You are one of the lucky minority.

9. Landlord Landry

10. astros148

astros148 Member

u srs?

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Happy to be married, but wish I could be a better married person.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

im pretty sure he's srsly

13. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

Got married at 30. I was definitely glad that I waited and got married "later".

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I want to hear from some of the folks who never got married.

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I got engaged at 22 (before getting engaged we lived together for 6 months and we also went through a pregnancy together) and shortly after the diamond was on her finger the problems began. We were far far far to young, we split for 6 months and now we are back together taking things slow before we think about marriage again. As aussie said, if she is the right woman then she will wait until your a little bit older. I would probably say 25-28 is a great age to marry while 28-32 are a great age to have kids (I blew that one young too, while you don't regret it you just wish it happened later on in your life and you feel foolish for being in such a rush).

#15 Realjad, Nov 8, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I'm 25 and never been close to marriage. Probably the best advice my dad has ever given me is that a person should be sure of who they are before they get married, and especially before they have kids. Basically, even if people are truly in love and are great for each other in their twenties, the difference in who they are at 23 and 33 is so great it's almost impossible for them to know whether they have the capability to stay together.

I agree. I think of where I was at 18 vs. 21 vs. 25, and in a lot of ways I don't even feel like the same person.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I was 30... almost 31.

I can't imagine getting married any earlier... probably would have ended in a fiery crash. By 30 I had mellowed enough to make it work.

18. Landlord Landry

yep. I personally have no regrets, but agree 100% with the sentiments of waiting.

19. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Personally, I think early marriage (<22) is indicative of a poor childhood or a low socio-economic background which leads to an early need for "eternal dependence" through a promise. Most guys who decide to get married at a young age aren't confident enough in themselves to be in a relationship without making a plethora of promises.

If you're good looking or ambitious, you shouldn't even think about marriage until you're 25/26 and have a good idea of who you are. People mature at different ages, but it's best to know everything that's out there which will help you further appreciate what you have when you do get married. No reason you can't be in a committed relationship for a while without exchanging vows. And make sure you put your girl on the pill, no ifs or buts about it.

A lot of you may not like this, but it's the truth.

And it's best served cold.

20. yobod

yobod Member

Ronny,

I laughed reading this, because I can really relate based on the people that I know. My friends that got married early, I never really understood why they were in such a rush. But in reference with what you said I agree that a lot of them were very insecure at the time. I had a friend that couldn't bear the thought of graduating college (22) single. He said to all of us, how will I meet anyone, It's going to be so hard. I wanted to slap him and say "get a grip man!" He met a girl our senior year and got married right after graduation.