1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquis Teague

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by acshen, Jun 21, 2012.

1. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Seems like someone Morey would like in this year's crop. Elite athlete with a correctable jumper. Very high ceiling due to physical tools and basketball IQ. Inconsistent production as a freshman but the basic skill set is there. Extremely quick and loves drives to the basket. Tall build, solid defensively, attacks the paint.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/98-tc5nD65k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Marquis-Teague-5720/

2. delishman

delishman Member

Seems like someone Morey would like because on what you think or what you read?

Just curious like a cat.

Meow.

3. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

He reminds me of Aaron Brooks in terms of foot speed. Morey loves speedy guards and mobile big men.

4. ObamaFan

ObamaFan Member

Watch his draftexpress interview, he talks like Lowry

5. JD88

JD88 Member

Like Ive said in numerous Teague threads, his numbers would have been atrocious had Davis, Jones, and Miller not been on his teams. You guys dont realize how many times he got an assists off a lob, or a kick out three.

In a typical UK game, we had the 7 of the best 9 or 10 guys participating. If he played on an average team, his stats would be awful. Yes he is pretty good inside 3 feet, and he developed his mid range game a bit as the season went on, but he was still shaky from outside at best. If I had to guess, at least two of his assists per game were off lobs or UK running in transition because, well, we had the superior athletes in ANY game we played last year.

Also, he is very prone to getting in trouble and turning it over.

6. tokenbk

tokenbk Member

I've seen comparisons from Lowry to Francis.

7. lionaire

lionaire Member

Wouldn't necessarily say he's an elite athlete. Also his stats were inflated cause of the guys surrounded him. I was honestly shocked when I heard he was leaving after just one year.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I don't like him too much, but I actually think his number will be better if he's not on UK team.

He's the first option in high school and was a scoring first guard, so he had to adjust his game a lot with so many excellant teammates in UK. He actually passed better later in the season.

Wroten and him are two PG's worth picking in late first round(good picks there).

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is interesting. Where do you think Teague should go in the draft? I only saw 6 or so UK games last year, and I couldn't tell if he was good but taking a back seat to superior players, or if he was bad and his weaknesses were shielded by his teammates.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

For me it is very difficult to judge his talent because of the UK roster. The only thing I can glean out of it is that he is not a selfish player, which is a good attitude, especially for point guards.

11. tdogg310

tdogg310 Member

His performance at the draft combine would beg to differ.

Marquis Teague:

2nd in max vert with 40.5 inches.

4th in sprint with 3.19 s.

6th in Agility with 10.65 s.

sounds pretty elite to me.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He is more athletically elite than Lowry. And Lowry as a reserve was a push-the-pace, frenetic, end-to-end point guard. The reason the Rox like Teague is they feel he can give them this same frenetic pace coming off the bench. He's faster and more athletic than Lowry. So, I tend to think he could perform in that role quite well.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

IF it were me picking, after #27. Like I said he has a ton of flaws...

Lack of long range shooting, turns the ball over a lot, gets himself too deep into the defense, sometimes he looks to score instead of finding the easy open man, selfish with the ball on fast breaks. His shooting % was helped by his scoring inside the paint, where I feel like he shot very well. However he decided as the season went on that he was Russel Westbrook and started to lean heavily on his mid range jumper, which is less than stellar. He likes to dribble a lot in the half court, dribble, go off the screen, get stopped, back out dribble some more.

His saving grace is that A) physically he is off the charts. Super athletic kid, so B) his decision making will improve. Near the beginning of the season his turnover rate was amazingly...awful. There were games he would rack up 6 or 8 turnovers. Near the end of the season, his turnovers cut down significantly, as he learned to slow himself down and not be in such a big hurry.

He is a fringe all star caliber player, in 5-8 years. Fringe. He will be a steal for someone late in the game, but he probably wont help much in his first couple years. Think Eric Bledsoe, another UK guy. Spark off the bench, but probably shouldnt play too much the first couple years.