1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

He's got smaller hands than Ron Baker and Kyle Wiltjer.

He, Then Maker, and Omer Asik should form a support group.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How predictable. Wait til after he has a bad game to start trippin. Whole new system for the kid. If he is here long enough he will earn his playing time.
    He is going to have these kinds of games until he gets the system down. They gave Hartie and Zhou 2 years.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  3. BackdoorHarden

Yinka Dare brick style hands. His hands are not favorite of the ladies

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The worst thing about Chriss is his body language, maybe the 2 years playing in the Suns really damaged him, when he will get called for a O foul or missed a pass or whatever, he looks so dejected and just want to quit and go back to the locker room.

This kind of body language is the typical loser attitude.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Risk profile: $5m committed to yet-unfulfilled potential is a LOT to a team that has ~ $110m committed to 6 players next year. Morey values flexibility, and it is why we are here.

Even if MDA thinks he can be great, Morey will not pick up the option unless Chriss shows he's worth it NOW. Potential doesn't get you paid on the Rockets. So far he's been outplayed in camp by Hartenstein and had 2 preseason games that mimic his last 2 seasons: flashes of what he can do + hard truths about holes in his game.

I don't think you know much about the cap and you seem to have consumed every Chriss-related snippet from the media, so I doubt we are going to even agree to disagree. My guess is you are his mom, dad, sibling or friend.

HP3 likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This guy make Hassan Whiteside's rookie years look like Hakeem.

He's stupid, He doesn't grasp that basketball is a team sport, he doesn't catch anything outside fo alley oops.

Vivi, Nook and RudyTBag like this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Some of you posters act like omnipotent beings, for some reason. Jfc we're two games into the preseason and all these players have just come from different systems, onto a contending team with 2 sure-fire HoF players. At least give it until the end of preseason to make a judgment? (Read: give it more time).

Like another poster said, in another thread: you guys want perfection, right out of the gate, from players that weren't even the focal point of the trade. Which is mind-blowing.

We got Chriss, essentially as a byproduct, due to the contract unloading of Ryan Anderson. We're paying Ennis 1.7 million / year.

Marquese Chriss and James Ennis, guys. Not Joel Embiid and Kawhi Leonard, or KAT and Greek Freak. Sorry to burst that bubble.

You know he's not a robot, right? Whenever Harden gets called for a foul, he immediately puts his hands up and has a "who, me??" reaction. Isn't that also bad body language?

Also, how do you know the body language isn't due to him wanting to show out for the coaching staff / Harden / CP3? How do you know the bad body language isn't "crap, I didn't do that well, so I might be demoted?"

You guys interpret it how you want to. I interpret it as him realizing he needs to develop that chemistry sooner than later, if he has hope of playing time.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like BW but phrase “healthy Brandan Wright” is an oxymoron.

buffalobills!!! and Plowman like this.
  9. Ray Parker

Ray Parker Member

Won't argue with that. :)

D-rock likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope Zhou Qi gets healthy, because for these experimental games I'd much rather see Zhou and Hartenstein get heavy minutes at C.

Most likely, Carmelo/PJ/Clint will eat ALL 96 minutes of our PF/C spots anyway, but it would be nice If one of these guys turned the corner.

D-rock likes this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

Nah, I'm good. His blocks were cool but he just doesnt seem to have a good idea about where to be and where not to be. We do not have time to wait for him.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

3, bruh. ;)

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Anonymous8

Anonymous8 Member

Maybe off the Olympic medals but that's his only chance.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This kind of reasoning I can understand. In this case, maybe a short stint in the G-league would help.

DonKnock and RudyTBag like this.
  15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd love to see him go down and tear up the G-League for a little while and get his bearings.

Once he is a screening/rolling 25-15 force in the GLeague, bring him back up and let's see what we have. He is still so damn young.

DonKnock likes this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Reference top 40 scorers in NBA istory..All are in. CA is like 20 or so.

17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Would have been 3, but Rockets waived Bobby Brown way back when.

seclusion likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He was a collegiate national champion as a freshman, an olympic gold medalist, he's had the nba scoring title, is one of the nba's all time scoring leaders, and now he has a shot at a ring. Get your facts straight.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

This guy reminds me of every kid I ever coached who had athletic ability but didn't use it well. I kept thinking I could fix the way these kids thought. Usually, I was wrong.

Red Chocolate and D-rock like this.