1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marq*E center sold to local developer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Acedude, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Acedude

Acedude Contributing Member

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/06/marqe-entertainment-center-sold-to-local-developer/

Didn't know Magic Johnson partially owned it. The location has great potential, and hopefully it becomes something more than just another high-rise residential area.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Man it was hopping when it was first put up, but then it got overrun with teenagers and trash in general. That theater has almost gotten down to the Tinseltown on 290 level (Not quite that bad) but you pay twice as much for the ticket.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Awesome. 15 new Applebees and Chili's for the outer loopers to have cocktail hours at!

4. BleedsRocketRed

When I went there a few times in 2011 the place needed a much needed rebirth honestly. Hopefully this sale to the new group will do that. Lots of potential there but it's just been missing that "it" factor.

It has gotten better though, I remember going there in 2010 and it was overrun by teenage trash

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

That's where Improve is located right? Nothing like catching a show with a good comedian there.

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

They better not shut down the theater... that is the only REAL Imax in Houston that shows movies. It is my go-to destination for midnight showings of new blockbusters.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Are Mexican's trash? I don't think there is anything wrong with the place.

8. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if i'm not mistaken the canyon-johnson group bought it 4-5 years ago and redeveloped it from the original box form to the more open layout it has now. the improv, and drink houston among others moved locations within the complex.

we'll see what this new group does. hopefully it'll be something like city centre, although probably not as high class?

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The trash if of all colors.

The Hot Topic crowd that was having sex on the benches there were trash.

The wanna be thugs who were filling up the theater and talking all the time were trash.

The people who were throwing trash all over the place were trash.

There is a reason the place kept losing tenants and the crowds got smaller and smaller. The people willing to pay and spend time there got fewer and fewer as the people just looking for a place to hang out and annoy people got more and more.

10. conquistador#11

need better restaurants and clothing stores to attract hotties. Going to be tough, with Memorial city mall just 400 yards away or so.

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Agreed. While it is overrun with teens, it is the only Imax in Houston.

None of that Liemax crap

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

That are real estate wise is bad

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Burn it down, make another IKEA. Airlift Spring Branch to Katy, TX and take Garden Oaks with it. Let me know when it's done.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

My ****ing phone is make me look like I speak broken english

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That place is a dump

Wish the improv would move somewhere more reasonable so decent acts would go

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah we need that IMAX. I'd also like to keep the Dave and Busters. Other than that, I don't even know what else is out there.

17. bigben69

bigben69 Member

That Dave and Busters is extremely ghetto and dirty now.....hard to have fun there.

18. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

the place really turned into a trashy, ghetto establishment. The rent i'm sure is insanely high which is why none of the shopping survived, and why they had to tear down a portion of it. I'm sure the HPD station they added helped to prevent crime, but it would probably be better served to be torn down

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Magic turns everything into northline mall

20. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Hopefully they can revive it, I actually like the Edwards theater and location.

But the real question remains: if they renovate it and the trash leaves, where does the trash go?