1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

mark price or jason kidd? (wake up people!!!)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by verse, Dec 13, 1999.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

i've been biting my tongue on this one for a while. how people can look @ drew & say he is a good pt. guard is beyond me.

1) true, his TO's are less than francis'. that is the one thing i will give him credit for. however, many of francis' TO's are a result of him being the focal point of the offense and trying to create something for his teammates. drew's TO's, IMO, are less because he either a) shoots or b)dumps it into the post.

2) if francis is a "ball hog", then so is drew. how can ya'll be so naive? check out the shot charts. drew is a jacker!!!! the man shoots an incredible amount of times per minutes played.

3) cabbage, you hit the nail on the head: all gr8 pt guards go through a growth period.

DREW WILL NEVER BE A GREAT POINT GUARD.

check out francis' stats vs. the other gr8 nba pt guards in their rookie seasons. he is having a better year than most of them did. there is a HUGE difference between a star pt guard (francis) and a complimentary pt guard (drew). as the star, the team revolves around you. the burden is much larger, and so will be the turnovers.

but, noooooo....

some of you would rather have brent price, jr. leading the team. wake up people!!!! the dream/chuck era is over!!! this is a team built around a rookie star point guard. and with that will come plenty of mistakes and turnovers. just ask kidd or payton. stop all the bitc**** and suck it up!

this kid will be great. i don't know how many of you get the nba league pass, but, one advantage is that you get to hear other commentators (and that you don't have to listen to murph/worrell). they all have the same thing to say:

FRANCIS IS THE MOST IMPRESSIVE ROOKIE THIS YEAR.

FRANCIS IS THE MOST IMPRESSIVE ROCKET THIS YEAR.

FRANCIS IS HEADING TO SUPERSTARDOM.

BRYCE DREW SHOOTS THE BALL A HELL OF A LOT.

which would you guys rather have, mark price or jason kidd?

2. BryceDrewFan

BryceDrewFan Member

YOU PEOPLE ARE STUPID! No one is saying Bryce Drew should start over Francis! Were saying let Bryce Drew start and Francis start! Francis at SG and Drew at PG. or other way around.

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Gosh, BryceDrewFan, that's not very nice.

You shouldn't call people 'stupid' just because they disagree with you.

Please don't do it again. Thank you.

4. JT

JT Member

This debate has taken on a life of it's own. Seems to be no middle ground allowed here. Look guys, we have two good point guards right now. It's a fact. One (Francis) clearly has superstar potential now. The other (Drew) more likely than not will be a starter in this league. If Drew develops into a Mark Price or John Stockton type talent no doubt some will be griping that we should have kept him over Francis. (Especially if Francis doesn't pan out for some reason or bolts the team at the end of his contract.) Drew will most likely leave via a trade. He is becoming a valuable commodity. If not he will cash in on free agency when his contract is up. His future looks bright right now and will get brighter if he continues to improve as he has. With that said Francis is clearly the point guard for now and the future at this point for the Rockets. They gave up alot to get him and he will get every opportunity to succeed. I hope he pans out and it is looking very likely that he will. Still, don't be suprised if you see Bryce Drew starting at the point for another team in the near future. He isn't as good as some of you think and he is not nearly as bad as some of you seem to wish he was.

[This message has been edited by JT (edited December 13, 1999).]

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Verse- I think you are partly right about the court vision, but there are exceptions. Think of MJ. He could have played PG (and at times he did) but he was more effective as a SG.

I can see this same thing working with the Rockets. Especially if we swing Anderson to the #3, we would look very similar to those Bulls teams. A PG who can knock down shots (Harper-Drew), a SG who is the key to the offense (Jordan-Francis), and a SF who can also play the point (Pip- Anderson (more Mobley as the point forward though).

I know everyone wants Francis to be a PG, but since we are rebuilding I say we at least experiment with this line up. What else do we have to lose?

Just my take - No way I want Francis on the bench, but I believe Drew & Mobley have earned their minutes, and for those 2 games Anderson played great!

6. verse

4chuckie:

MJ was the exception to everything. he was a phenomenon.

as for the BDFanClub, there is no situation - save for a francis injury - where i would start bryce. sorry. it's not that i think he sucks like some people have said. rather, i don't think his talent - on this team, right not - warrants a start at PG or SG. in fact, i'd much rather see cuttino at the 2 guard and shandon @ the 3.

if you were to start bryce @ the 2 spot, we would admittedly have a better shooter in than we do currently. however, we would be feasted upon defensively. bryce covering the 2 guards of the nba? scary thought.

a backcourt of francis, CutMob, and Shandon is a motion oriented core - exactly what we need. not to say they are championship material right now. they probably aren't. but they are the core of the rox present and future. bryce, as a starter, isn't. bryce, as a 6th man, might be.

give the rox a (uh oh, i can't believe i'm going to say this) ........dennis rodman-type player (not the real thing, but a pseudo), who is a walking Windex Man, and we're going places.

7. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Verse,
    Steve Francis IS a better point guard than Bryce Drew, but Bryce Drew IS PLAYING LIKE a better point guard than Steve Francis as of late. That statement, sir, is undeniable.

Pass 1st, shoot 2nd.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

One difference (among many) between Harper/Jordan/Pippen and Drew/Francis/Anderson: height. Harper is 6'6" to Drew's 6'3", Jordan was 6'6" to Francis' 6'5", and Pippen is 6'7" to Anderson's 6'6" (all official heights). Chicago had some big, fast, defensive guys, while we have little, fast, ho-hum defensive guys.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Verse:

Problem w/ starting Cuttino & Francis is they are the only shot creaters that we have. I really like the spark and athleticism Mobley brings off the bench.

Also, if Walt does continue in our rotation, I can't see Drew & Walt on the court together. Therefore it is almost out of necessity (I think) to start one and sub in the other one. Both lack on D and their Offensive games are too similar to be on the court together.

I don't know I like to ride a hot shooter, and Bryce has been playing well the last few games. I would consider starting him at the point and slide Francis to the #2, with Anderson as the #3. Cato at the center then T-Mass/Rogers/Thomas at the #4. That would leave mobley as our 6th man to play the 1,2, or 3.

I guess in theory we don't even need a SG & PG. Either one could bring the ball up. Obviously it would be nice to have Francis lead the break, and have Drew run the set offense (which in essence would be used to get Francis open looks and keep him out of double teams when possible). If we need one shot Francis gets the ball, and Francis still gets experience at the point as the backup PG when Mobley/Williams/Rogers/etc subs for Drew.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Good point Juan, Chicago was definetely a little taller & more athletic. I guess I am just hoping we can find some extra minutes for Mobley/Drew/Anderson by giving then 2 positions to play.

11. ArmChair Coach

Regarding a few comments about Drew....when Francis is in, don't they alternate between 1 and 2?

Juan: Francis is 6'3

12. CaucasionSensation

I don't think anybody here really thinks that Mark Price or Jason Kidd are comparable to Drew, or even the one that I heard of Stockton.

People are just a little excited to see somebody so panned in the preseason by many, and defended by the few including me who thought that this would be his year to grow. I and many others were called crazy and much worse, for not coming out and saying he completely sucked. We said he would grow with some playing time this year, and grow he has.

The evidence of such growth is that Bryce Drew debates often take up a large portion of this board, and now some are comparing him here to greats, its defintley over the top, but it proves that Drew has gotten better.

This guy could be a keeper for this team, his only issue now as I see it is his defense. I have never seen a player who got their hands up in the shooters face only to be j-ed so much. It's like the offensive players have absolutely no fear of him.

That said he deserves only the mildest of comparisons at this point, but in time who knows, no one thought he'd be playing like this after 20 games.

[This message has been edited by CaucasionSensation (edited December 13, 1999).]

13. verse

well, i assume from the responses here, that the consensus is that steve francis should undoubtedly be the starter. good.

Pass 1st, Shoot 2nd:
    regardless of who is playing like a better pg right now (and i might debate you on that one, too), you have to look at the big picture: what are we aiming for? who are you trying to develop to lead this team - at the pg spot - for the next 10 years? the answer is undeniable.

in other words, if we had derek harper on this team, and he was playing a better pg than francis, should he start? i say no. not because he's old, but because he isn't the future of this team, nor the present. it'd be different if we were playing to win right now, but honestly, we aren't. we have to groom francis to be a pg and to be the focal point of the franchise. there will be bumps. there will be TO's. just check out jason kidd's rookie stats.

drew, IMO, is a very good point guard for the D-I-T system rudy has been attached to for years. however, we don't have that personnel anymore. and i guarantee that in another 30 games, drew's stats will drop, as teams begin to realize that our post game is garbage and begin focusing on the guards.

JuanValdez:

no doubt. my reasoning exactly why we can't have drew and francis in the backcourt together.

4chuckie:

question....why not start:

PG: francis
    SG: mobley
    SF: anderson
    PF: thomas
    C: cato

SUB #1: drew for francis. let drew cover the 1, mobley the 2

SUB #2: rogers/bullard (depending on situation) for CutMob. shand to 2, rog to 3

SUB #3: fran 4 drew

SUB #4: 2sandwiches for thomas or cato

SUB #5: walt williams for a bag o' peanuts

simple, 8 man rotation where there are shooters and creators in and drew plays a decent amt of minutes.

14. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Verse,
    Do the math. Right now, Drew has stepped up and Francis has taken a step backwards from the near triple double vancouver game. I agree that Francis should still start, but c'mon man, pull the wool away from your eyes! Don't forget that the recent games we've seen Drew excell in were not your classic "DIT" games, either.
    Drew is proving himself to be just as good as anybody could hope him to be. His ceiling of ability is a few stories lower than Francis', but right now Drew deserves more minutes than he's getting. We should make Francis work a little harder. Competition couldn't hurt things.

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I think Drew is finally coming out of shell. He's starting to show that he can be a solid starter. Problem is Francis already occupies that position. I personally think he's too good of a backup and should be traded for the likes of Theo, Mo, etc. We already have a great backup guard in Mobes and I would rather trade Drew than Mobley.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

To answer your question Verse. I would rather have either Jason Kidd or Mark Price in their prime then Steve Francis.

In addition, I don't think your comparison is fair. I think Francis is more like Iverson, then either Kidd ( Who is all about the assists) and Price ( who is all about doing whatever it takes to win as a team)

Now don't take this as I am down on Francis, because I am not. I think he has HUGE potential. But, I am not ready to annoint him Superstar status because he has a great crossover dribble.

IMHO, the only thing that matters is whether you make your TEAM and TEAMATES better. Right now Steve doesn't and Kidd and Price both did.

However, I think Steve will get there, it is just going to take about 3-5 years.

DaDakota

"I am impatient, but it looks like we are in for a long haul, so hunker down and pass the pretzels and beer, we are going to need them"

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm pretty I can speak for everyone (except BryceDrewFan--hehe) when I say I'm surprised it took you until the bottom of this trhread Verse for you to see most people don't think Drew should start....so what was the point of your rhetorical question thread title?

I've got a question that might add something to this talk about how Drew doesn't deserve to start:

Name as many 2nd teamer point guards the Rockets have had through the years. Here, I'll start:

drew/price/malony
    davis/livinston
    scotty brooks,
    avery johnson (chased out of houston by fans for no shot)
    allen leavell
    cassell
    Sleepy Floyd (he didn't really play a true pg as I recall,,,and he started sucking it up when scotty started getting his minutes)

I'm pretty sure this takes us into the 80s. So, Cassell clearly outplayed Drew....Leavell is the next closest I see. What do you expect from a 2nd teamer. Drew is fine, already!!

Now consider this: do you think Drew is better than Kenny Smith. He's certainly faster. And if he gets that runner falling consistantly, I've got 10-12 minutes for him on my team!!

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited December 13, 1999).]

18. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Verse you make so me good points.

However I think most people are saying give Drew minutes at the point and move Francis to the #2.

I definetely want Francis on the court and Drew is playing well lately.

One major point is everyone assumes Francis is going to be a star PG, which I am not totally sure of. He will be a great player, just not sure if it will be at the PG or SG.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think anyone has tried to argue that Drew is better than Francis now or that he will be in the future. What I have seen argued (and I am in general agreement) is that Drew is emminently qualified as a back-up PG to Francis now and in the future. Within the bounds of people's expectations of his performace in a back-up role, he has performed admirably.

20. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Mark Price was a four-time NBA All-Star, an ALL-NBA selection in 92-93 and finished with career averages of 15.2 points and 6.7 assists per game. He was a Dream Teamer on Dream Team II, winning a gold medal at the World Championships. Price shot over 90% from the free throw line for his career. In 1989-90 he scored 19.6 points per game and was #7 in the NBA with 9.1 assists per game.

Sure, Jason Kidd's versatility and ability to set up his teammates is astounding, but what's your point? If Bryce Drew turns out to be another Mark Price, I'll be ecstatic... and so will every other team in the league lining up to acquire him.

No offense, I just think you don't realize how good Mark Price was. Maybe you meant to say Brent.

------------------
    Clutch
    http://www.clutchcity.NET
    SPREAD THE WORD