1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark My Words

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by okierock, Jun 7, 2006.

Tags:
  1. dream2franchise

Nice....not crazy about Fisher, i don't actually think i tried one with him. He can shoot, but he'll be OLD and still gettin paid...probably better to keep Juwan, for one year less.

You think its worth Fisher to get Murphy? I don't know...Kudos for pulling it off though, even though we both aren't crazy about it.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Howard, Swift and #8 for Raef, Tony Allen, and #7.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

In terms of improving the team on the court for next season, I do the Murphy/Fisher for Howard/Swift trade in the blink of an eye. It gives us a rebounding AND outside shooting PF in one guy and at least a solid veteran backup PG who can shoot the 3.

As far as salaries go...

:(

4. dream2franchise

Haha i also considered Raef, i know he burned us real good earlier this season. We can use the 7 to grab Brewer, no way they take Juwan though, unless they absolutely love Stro.

Shame, the guy has averaged 3 blocks and seven rebounds and 15pts in one season, great size and height. Could work for sure with a good amount of minutes.

5. ClutchCityReturns

Don't underestimate how badly someone can want a scrub.

I believe it was Bob Cousy (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that said something along the lines of "that kid's something special" when Stromile dunked all over the Celts in the Garden one game this season.

I don't know if he's in the front office there, but if he is, you never know.

6. dream2franchise

Celtics fans don't seem too crazy about Raef, maybe best to leave that one alone.

7. dream2franchise

8. jopatmc

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, what's the question again? Because that ain't one. Anything to get Howard out of here. Raef would be an extreme upgrade. Good ups, great distance shooter and a decent board banger.

9. ClutchCityReturns

Raef
    $10,905,000
    $11,813,750
    $12,722,500.

vs.

Juwan
    $6,392,100
    $6,883,800
    $7,375,500

Personally, I'd say it's a question.

10. jopatmc

No, there ain't. Swift makes $5.4 mill on up to add to Juwan's total waste of $6 mill per. And we get back Tony Allen, a $1 million/year SG with good potential. Raef will be much more productive over the life of his contract than Juwan will be. In fact Juwan is not productive at all. He is counter productive. Les could flush $6 mill down the toilet and then take a swift kick in the yonkers and get the same results he's gonna get by paying Juwan to hit the floor for us.

11. ClutchCityReturns

I was talking about a straight up Juwan for Raef scenario. I wasn't aware of any other pieces. What exactly, is the trade in question?

EDIT: I see it now.

Still don't know if I'd do it. Maybe at the last second if Roy is available at #7. Then again, I'm pretty damn high on Brewer so maybe I don't even do it then.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Why do people love to use "mark my words"? Your words aren't more "mark-able" than others.

I'm sure if it turns out you are right, you'll be bragging about it all day. But what if you are wrong? Are you going to come here and eat your words?

13. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I won't do the search and I'll take your word. The only reason we have a bigger need at the 2 is because of shooting and TMac's health. You can't have a no shooting point (read Rafer) and have a no shooting 2G (Bogans). I can't argue with you about which is more pressing (2G or PF) but I do know that the main reason 2G stands out now is because of TMac's health issues. If Jho sprains his ankle in game 1 next season you'll see how pressing our need is and Jho has a long history of injury, just not with us. The reason I believe in SW as a pick is that no matter what happens on the perimeter we are going to need a PF in the next year and I think you'll agree with that. I have said in earlier posts in this thread that I have no problem drafting a guy like Roy with our pick. The truth is a hole is a hole and a need is a need and we are limping at both spots. Starting PF's are a LOT more rare than 2G's and next season or this coming season when Jho is hurt or gone we are gonna feel it big time and we will have no way to find another guy like SW (unless we suck again next year).

I was against Swift too. Any time a player who has been in the league for 5 years is still being talked about because of his potential it just means he sucks. Potential = tallented but doesn't produce and I hate it more than anything. I'll take Bob Sura over a guy like Swift any day. As far as my opinion of Luther goes... he was a rookie last season and played pretty well. I can't wait to see how he does this season. Do I think he's starting caliber? Not yet.

Whoever suggested trading for Tony Allen, I am with you man I think he is an awesome player with the kind of grit and attitude we need. I'm also an Oklahoma State homer big time. :D

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

okierock, we agree more than disagree. Yes, Tracy's durability heightens the need at SG but I'd still put it #1 regardless. And like I've said in other threads, if JH or Stro start for us next season I'm gonna be pretty down on the Rockets. We must have a complete overhaul at both positions.

15. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Gawd, that bad crack from mexico musta hit the streets recently....

:D

This is so depressing because besides Tmac & Yao we really need everything!

16. Billyp

Billyp Contributing Member

If we traded Swift for a SG (Antonio Daniels?) then I think Sheldon Williams would be a solid pick. If we keep Swift, take a SG/SF.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If we make a significant deal for a SG before the draft, everything changes. Then the debate between PG & PF starts and I would put PF as the greater need.

18. dream2franchise

Well i'd do the GS trade before the Boston one. Even if it means having fisher on the bench gettin paid millions as a 36 yr........why the hell did Chris Mullin give him that much money? honestly!

So, We'd have Yao starting a C, Murphy at PF, (and potentially 20 rebs a game between them) T-Mac at SF, Brewer at SG but playing point, and Mike James taking up the 1 spot, looking to hit open jumpers... That leaves us with an expensive back-court on the bench with two point guards in Rafer and Alston, with head backing up the 2 guard spot, Bogans backing up T-Mac and Hayes backing up Murphy.

or......

Replace Murphy with Raef with Tony Allen backing up T-Mac, this allows Rafer to be the full time backup, if Brewer is successful as a point guard...more time for players and less money being wasted this way. Even if we don't get Murphy, who is the ideal PF for us IMO.

Boston trade seems better, financially. But there is more production out of the GS players.

Talent wise, we'd improve alot at the four spot and guard positions so i think Rockets brass needs to look at those two PF's--i like the idea of a shooting Power Forward, but the guys gotta be able to rebound.

19. Diaw

Diaw Member

good news, maybe he'll be gone before we pick ...

20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Anytime somebody's stock rises to a point above your pick it's definitely good news. Somebody is fallin. :D