1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Jackson as possible assistant coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets2012, May 6, 2014.

1. rockets2012

rockets2012 Member

Mark Jackson seems to be on the way out of GS, if so we should try to recruit him as assistant coach. I'm impressed by his coaching in last few years. His X's & O's out of timeouts are praised by Doc Rivers right after the recent series(in his post game conference video).

He's also a player's coach and developed their young players very well. IMO GS overachieved(especially in playoff) under his tenure given the injuries to Lee(last year) and Bogut(this year).

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would love to have him, but not as a top assistant.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes, because what we were missing was a motivational speaker....:rolleyes:

4. dragician

dragician Member

MJ said days after he started as HC that he won't be back coaching again.

5. izeroi

izeroi Member

I really can't see McHale and Jackson getting along with each other. I bet KM would be too much of a head in the clouds type of guy for MJ to tolerate.

6. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

he doesnt want to assist!he wants to control everything.. which is why he is heading out o GS

7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

We need to find someone who teaches and preaches defense. Someone like Thibs. Before Thibs was a head coach he was on a lot of great defensive teams as the assistant. I dont know a lot about coaches, but I would try to look at past great defensive teams and look at their assistants if I were Morey and McHale. Try to see if they can find a gem.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Thought Mchale was a bad X's and O's guy...MJackson is terrible

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Warriors are having their best stretch of seasons they've had since the Webber years under Jackson and they are looking to fire the guy... what does that say about Jackson?

That guy is another McHale type... they are winning in-spite of him, not because of him. The players love him because well.... why do so many American's love being self-employed, or at least working from home?

As you can tell I'm not a fan of Mark Jackson. ..... So No.

10. Jimmy Chitwood

Mark Jackson is a huge a-hole. Please no.

1 person likes this.
  11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1) NBA coaching cycle tends to be: fired, do TV for a year or two, get another HC position. NFL cycle has coaches taking a lesser position.

2) If the Rockets are going to follow the Larry Bird (coach) Pacers or 9-assistant Mavericks model, you want A+ minds on the bench that aren't actively angling to be head coaches asap. Kelvin Sampson was good for us, but had no issues leaving us in a lurch when a HC job came his way. Even if Jackson brought good things to the table, he's ambitious and would have a wandering eye week in and week out.

Rockets should be looking for the next Tom Thibodeau. Someone that doesn't have a name yet, is an ace at what he does, and should be able to retain for at least a few years.

12. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Is Mark Jackson the coach that ordered his team to intentionally foul the rocket players, when the Rockets were about to break the record for three pointers made in a game?

13. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Mark Jackson didnt want to be an assistant before, so what makes you believe he wants to be one now?

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What does it say about GS's management?

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's not a coaching lifer. He'll go back into broadcasting if Golden State makes the stupid mistake of firing him.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

They drafted Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Harrison Barnes, S&T'ed for David Lee with only spare parts like Anthony Randolph, traded for Bogut, and signed Igoudala while moving something like 17 million in dead salary.

The Warriors are winning IN SPITE of Mark Jackson's coaching not because of it.

-Also, did any of guys ever listen to this guy's game "analysis"????... How the hell did that end up getting him a coaching job in the first place? I thought the only reason why he was on the show was to give some stupid ideas that JVG can then go "Are you kidding me..." to.

17. conquistador#11

mama, hire that man!! as head coach.
    right now I'd take coachbadlee.

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

no...just no

19. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

The way this site cries and moans about everything, we might as well move our team to Seattle. Pretty sure they'll be happy. In fact, just ship the NBA to Europe. lol

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Actually, you might be surprised what that can do for players in really tough games.