1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Mark Jackson as our new backup Pg

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by studogg, Jan 13, 2004.

1. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Why do I get the impression you probably like that stupid "Skip-to-my-Lou" Francis does?

2. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Because he is old and we are re-building. He is not going to get better everyday.

3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

What happened to the rebuilding then? We trade mooch for a washed up power forward and pick up a 38 year old unemployed PG and that is rebuilding?

4. pchan

pchan Member

I am glad.. finally there'll be someone who'll make yao and everyone else looks better, and someone who'll run an offense.

Now, if we can get mase or charles smith to be our 3.. we are set for playoff.
    I think derek harper would also be a good backup to MJ.. harper can bring a different dimension to the pg spot.

5. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

What on earth are you guys talking about? Rebuilding is what the Suns are doing. The Rockets are replacing role players until the summer. Replacing Moochie with Weatherspoon and Jackson hardly qualifies as rebuilding.

6. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

where did you hear this from? I haven't seen it anywhere. If he did say it, it just makes me even more disgusted with the guy...what's wrong with bringing in a proven veteran to giude a young team in much need of some guidance...except that the team may learn what it's been missing the last four seasons.

7. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Exactly.....

8. boiler

boiler Member

What about if YAO DOES turn into a monster? ;)

Anyway, I am not so excited about MJ, he is old and probaly out of shape. He will help, but don't expect too much from him. I would prefer to develop Wilks.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

ricerocket,

what would make you happy? I'm serious.

You have sounded, in this thread, as if you think getting rid of Moochie was a bad idea. Based on that and your plethora of criticisms over the last many threads, I guess you want something like this:

1. would have kept Mooch.
    2. would move arena to some other part of town.
    3. would fire JVG.
    4. would trade up to half of roster, but keep Mooch.
    5. would change to different color of shoelaces for team.
    6. would change average hotdog at Toyota Center to "medium rare" instead of "well done."

Is that accurate? I know you're frustrated, but not every move is a bad one. If you really hate the players and the management so categorically, is this the right team for you? :(

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Don't expect too much from M Jackson!!!

He is slow, no D and a trunover prone.

He is just a backup PG who can pass the ball and play no more than 10 mins for god sake.

11. MLC1MGC2ALC3

MLC1MGC2ALC3 Member

These moves are being made because it will be a big blow to the team if we do not make the playoffs :eek:

12. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

B-Bob,

I think you got some right and some way wrong....

1. would have kept Mooch.

No, not necessarily so. I would have thought we could get more but under the circumstances and trying to dump salary not so bad. I was more of the "Why get Ward / Jackson when you already have Wilks and had Mooch"

2. would move arena to some other part of town.

Absolutely not true. you have me confused with suburbia, I live 5 blks from Toyota center on the light rail line.

3. would fire JVG.

That, wouldn't be bad. But, that is a given for many here now. I know it won't happen but I have to have one vice... ;)

4. would trade up to half of roster, but keep Mooch.

Absolutely not. I am not a trade advocate at this point. I think we can do well with what we have if the offense had any plan and creativity - See #3

5. would change to different color of shoelaces for team.

I don't know what they are now so.....

6. would change average hotdog at Toyota Center to "medium rare" instead of "well done."

What is the range of Hot Dog choices besides Clutch (Da Bear), SF and the edible kind.... Well done bear doesn't sound good to me?
    ;) :p

13. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

Here's to hoping he starts a player revolt over here!! If he's willinging to disrespect Stockton....can't wait to see what he'll do to Francis, someone who has proven nothing in this league other than how to play streetball.:D

14. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

maybe that problem in Utah is why he hasn't had any interest yet from other teams.... :confused:

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

ricerocket,
    thanks for the nice reply. I was conflating you with some other posters, and your answers make a lot of sense, especially the hot dog answer. :)

16. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

A-OK cheif.... :D

17. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

Mark Jackson is not turnover prone, where do get that from?

Yes he is older and getting a little slower, but he is still a true (pass first shoot second) point guard. He will supply quality back up minutes and maybe instill a new passing attitude.

Last year Mark Jackson while backing up John Stockton averaged 12.3 assists per 48 minutes. Third in the league only behind John Stockton and Jason Williams. Steve averaged 7.3 assists per 48 minutes.

Mark's assist to turnover ratio was in the middle of the pack among point guards @ 2.47, while Steve was dead last @ 1.68.

In the year before that, Mark Jackson was 7th in the league with 12.3 assists per 48 minutes, just a few percentage points below the leader. Steve averaged 7.4 assists per 48 minutes that same year.

In that same year, Mark's assist to turnover ration was #2 in the league at 4.03, while Steve was next to the last @ 1.64.

Steve is continuing his same type numbers this year. If Mark Jackson continues his type numbers, even close, he will really help our team.

I for one, hope we get him.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

john lucas: pass first, shoot second on the court, shoot first, pass second off the court.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

He's just a BACK UP!!!

I give up...

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

He's old enough not to get it up.... ;) :eek: