1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Cuban Embarrassing Skip Bayless

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SevenMinuteAbs, Dec 2, 2013.

1. SevenMinuteAbs

I know a lot (probably most) of you don't like Mark Cuban, but he put Skip in his place a few years ago. The dude is incredibly knowledgeable and if he wasn't the owner of our rivals he'd be my favorite owner.

At one point he refers to "Hero Ball" as something that is bad for a team. Love him or hate him he's a smart guy and I for one have a lot of respect for him (unpopular opinion, i know)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SAkVnlA9CJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

http://youtu.be/SAkVnlA9CJo

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

OK. But we have an NBA Dish forum for that. This is the Rockets forum. Moving thread...

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not only is this nearly two years old, its in the wrong forum.

4. SevenMinuteAbs

Sorry, my mistake, thanks for moving it, clutch.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

interesting that he says the most underrated part of the game and the most difficult to find excellence in, is coaching

6. Chris Jent MVP

Says the guy who fired his coach after taking them to the finals.

And then breaking up a championship winning team a few years later.

Cuban is not a genius, he's a gambler. His viewpoints are interesting, but ultimately not very credible.

7. Chris Jent MVP

Yet he plays "heroball" with his entire franchise continually by gambling. He might be a "fan" and a "supporter" of analytics, but ultimately he makes too many decisions with his "gut". He is a hothead who only wishes he was smart.

Both Les and Morey are much smarter than Cuban.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm no fan of cuban, but i certainly don't fault him for firing avery johnson. i don't fault the nets for doing the same either.

i would also tend to believe his words over our resident mchale kool-aid drinkers' current mantra that coaching doesn't matter :grin:

9. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I love these kind of debates. Skip is either ignorant as **** or very intelligent to say dumb things on purpose in order to get Cuban going.
    I like Cuban's simple, straightforward approach and explanations. He nailed it with coaching which I think is very underrated in NBA. In Europe fans value legendary coaches, but here everybody think Phil Jacskon, Popovich and Spoelstra had it easy and are under-apreciating their hard work, in-game adjustments, motivational approaches, ego management etc.

Just today I was replying to someone who basically said anyone could coach Miami, SAS or LAL and win the title with those players. Right...

10. SevenMinuteAbs

I would take his word over someone like Skip any day of the week.
    He is a gambler but it's paid off for him in a lot of cases. idk if he's a genius, but he's definitely a very smart dude. Like him on sharktank.

11. Chris Jent MVP

Obviously "anyone" is an exagerration. But lets be honest, it's not quantum physics.

Players are at a premium, because their athleticism is pushing the boundaries of human genetics. It takes more than "hard work" to be a professional athlete. You have to be gentically gifted to withstand the repetitive grind, recover from injury etc. Lots of people can play at "NBA level" for a few minutes, but very very few can actually make it through the months and years required.

On the other hand, there are some jobs which push the human genetic limits for intelligence. Physicists, engineers, doctors, lawyers, programmers, all these jobs require enormous amounts of intelligence and memory to perform well. Sports coaching is NOT anywhere near this.

But if you don't want to take my word for it, thats fine. The free market has the answer to this question - compare coaching salaries to player salaries. That's the value of coaches.

12. Chris Jent MVP

Also interesting that you use Spoelstra as an example. Isn't he proof that "anyone" can indeed be a good coach? He wasn't a star until he became one just recently.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

**** Mark Cuban.

1 person likes this.
  14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I'm 100% sure Skip Bayless is just an act. He has to be. With that said, when he isn't in rant mode, he actually makes some sound points, but ofcourse like with anything its the rediculous stuff that holds more weight in peoples minds, and theres no shortage of that.

15. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Is it bad that I like Mark Cuban?

I think he's very smart and straight forward and is ahead of the game compared to most of the idiots who run the NBA. He's very knowledgable about the economy, politics, technology, analytics, etc. His Twitter is always interesting to follow.

I also like him on Shark Tank.

16. Chris Jent MVP

Please raise your entertainment standards. For the sake of humanity.

17. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

This.

18. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

lol.

I have excellent taste in television, and most of network TV is trash.

Shark Tank is a perfect Saturday morning DVR watch while eating breakfast.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Because he doesn't like "hero ball" he is a smart guy? Dirk Nowitzki was a hero-ball player in the finals and it worked out fairly well for them.

20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The Dallas Mavericks forum is here:
    http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/

Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.