1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Elienator

Elienator Member

The post was taking about a player opt out. I don’t see Correa signing that contract with a team opt-out. I think he can get a 3 year / 130 contract if he wants that. A team opt-out is bad for Correa.

Snake Diggit and steddinotayto like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Agreed. There's no financial gain for Correa to agree to a team opt out that early into the contract..or actually any point because it then becomes a situation of "well...if I suck in 3 years you guys could drop me...or I can find another deal that has no team opt outs thereby insuring that I'll make money regardless of my performance".

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

A team opt out could be an interesting concept. Maybe something like $300M/10yrs and it’s super front loaded (like $200M/4yrs) so after the 4th year Houston can either keep Correa on $100M/6yrs or cut him loose. Guarantees Correa a massive payout of $200M with the ability to get his $300M, limits the downside for Houston to $200M. Extremely unlikely but interesting.

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I know what the post was talking about and like you said, a deal that big doesn't require one. I just thought the idea of a team opt out, or a mutual opt out, was interesting, given the interests of both parties. Not sure if it's even allowed per CBA. What if the team opt-out was after 5 years, 200? Or after 3 years, 150? I know a team option is bad for Correa in the way that Verlander's player option is bad for the Astros - but there might be a number under which he found it acceptable. Maybe I'm crazy, just trying to get creative.

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

And that still would have been a hell of a deal to give to 24 year old Arod and if you had a good front office and a good core team you should be crawling over broken glass to get him to sign that contract.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

if you are doing 7 or 8 you need to go with at least 35/36 on the AAV. If I was Carlos agent I would tell him to very seriously consider a 7/252 million dollar deal from the Astros. He gets to re-enter the FA market at 33 and all he needs to do then to get to Seager's money is get 3/75. If he is still the player say, Semien is then you would be looking at thinking a 4/120 should be in the works for a 33 year old Correa... Maybe even 5/150.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So I was banging the drum on this on Crawfish boxes but you would have to sign him for 1/75 and then do an extension of 9/225. You do it concurrently but it would have to be two contracts. Reason being they don't care what numbers are being paid in what year for tax considerations it's just a straight average of years for contact. if you could make that an extension that gets signed a month later though....

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Interesting. He's obviously not finding the deal he was looking for.

IowaAstro and robbie380 like this.
  10. raining threes

Back issues are hardly ever resolved.

I say this from experience.

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy literally just won the platinum glove. Down the road, he may be better suited to move off SS, but why would you do that now?

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're also rare in 24 year olds that don't actually have structural, degenerative, or surgically fixable issues... with symptoms resolving with augmented/improved training regimens.

I also say this from experience.

13. Major

Major Member

If you have a Lindor type already and don't want to piss him off or he's not suited for 3rd, then it would make sense. Correa would do it if someone pays him more to do it (even though some of his core value is that he's an excellent defensive SS).

14. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

3B for the “perfect situation” … Mets 10/300+. He gets NYC. Plays with Lindor. Team on rise with infinity dollars spent by front office, can get him to October. That’s the play.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And its not a bad one. I also believe he subtly mentioned the “blue/orange NYC team” in an interview he gave in Puerto Rico.

As I said before, the Mets have already gone all in with the Scherzer signing. Unless they have a better 3B or SS in the pipeline, why not sign him and try to guarantee winning a weaker division (yes, I know the WS champs 2 of the last 3 years are from there).

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Trashing Jeter wasn't a good PR move if he wanted to be a Yankee. It may have been a great move if he was angling for a job with the Red Sox or the Mets.

mikol13, rockbox and robbie380 like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet Miami is hinting that they’ll make a “big” move…

I don’t think the Jeter stuff carries much significance. If anybody is offended it should be the writers that continued to award him gold gloves knowing that he wasn’t a great fielder.

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Thats an oxymoron.

But really though, they always just seem like theyd need to field a billion dollar annual payroll for them to field a playoff team.

Rileydog likes this.
  19. CinematicFusion

we will find out in 10 years if Correa’s back continued to be a problem. Astros are comfortable at 5-6 year deal so they must not see a problem in his prime years.

rockbox and everyday eddie like this.
  20. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member