1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not to get too technical, but Correa was the result of the bad 2011… where they didn’t have to intentionally do anything. They were that bad.

But he was totally Luhnow’s choice… while most said Buxton or Appel were projected to be better picks.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They also picked Correa because he would sign below slot and they could use the extra money to get McCullers.

cmlmel77 and jiggyfly like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

Why are ignoring the fact that we have not traded anybody because a contract was coming up or the fact that we have given out big contracts to multiple players unlike Tampa or the A's?

We are a long way away from being Tampa or the A's.

Astrofan59 and raining threes like this.
  4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We had the third highest payroll in the MLB. Crane spends tons but he can only spend what the team brings in with the crappy TV contract

raining threes and jiggyfly like this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Random memory, but important to this thread: I remember when the Astros sent me an autographed photo of T-Purp. Sort of like this one... I still don’t know why...

[​IMG]

travfrancis likes this.
  6. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

After playing Wormtail in the Harry Potter movies, I guess he wanted his Astros fans to have a signed headshot.

dc rock and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

He is not going to be at the level Correa was at this year next season and neither is Correa. His results this year represent a lifetime achievement and I believe it is unlikely he repeats them. More importantly my honest assesment is that Pena will be a better player. It happens. Before Springer left or Tucker was even close to a call up I was all alone saying Tucker would easily replace Springers productivity. The response was no different than I am hearing now about Pena. I am no more likely to be right about about my wild assertions than anybody is but sometimes it happens. I feel very strongly about this. I have had Pena pencilled in as Correas replacement since the day he was drafted. He has justified my "absurd prospect-dreaming" many times along the way. I no longer have any questions about him and simply look forward to following his career.

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  8. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Gross.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You may as well say, “My honest assessment is that Chas McCormick is going to be the Astros best player next season. I am no more likely to be right about my wild assertions than anybody but sometimes it happens.” I guess everyone is entitled to their unfounded opinions.

jiggyfly and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Tucker was the 5th player selected in the draft our best position prospect for for several years. It was not stretch to say he would be good. Pena on the other hand doesn't have any power and has average arm strength, and you think he is going to produce the same as the best positional player in the majors last season?

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes. Because the other players were projected to be “better” hence they were going to sign closer to slot.

that’s the ultimate win-win.

raining threes likes this.
  12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

No I do not believe he will produce the same as Correa, I believe he will produce more.

13. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Tim Purpura Front Office signed Jose Altuve.

That is his only Positive

I know he inherited a World Series Team in 2005 by Gerry Hunsicher

Drayton McClane not giving any money to spend on the Draft destroyed the team minors and major team. Tim got wrongly blamed.

Ed Wade and Bobby Heck drafted George Springer

Jeff Luhnow had to clean after Drayton mess.

14. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I unashamedly reserve the right to be wrong as often as I like and will proudly defend your right to do the same.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Um, what? Pena hit 10 home runs in 30 games at AAA this past year. He has filled out as he has gotten older and developed some nice power.

16. raining threes

Apparently you haven't seen Pena's increase in power. I expect him to hit 15 homers this year. I've read he's been an outstanding fielder. This is the 1st I've read about him having a weak arm

Please lead me to a source that's reported this.

King1 likes this.
  17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Never heard that either

18. Radricky

Radricky Member

dc rock likes this.
  19. Elienator

Elienator Member

I think Nook posted that Crane has said that he views his primary responsibility to shareholders. I’m not sure if that was specific to Correa or just something he’s said in the past.

It’s not good or bad necessarily, it just means that Crane views the Astros as a business and the goal of a business is to maximize returns (both in terms of profits and the value of the franchise).

Winning is good for business and Crane has shown he is willing to spend (in the short term) to win, so in that sense it’s good. Crane is definitely one of the better owners in terms of being willing to spend to win.

As a fan, while I want the team to win, I don’t want to root for a business (I don’t need baseball to do that). So in that sense it’s not good. I understand you can’t pay everyone, but the reason you don’t make a serious effort to resign Cole or Springer is so you can sign Correa. There are risks to long contracts, but the Astros are in a position to afford those risks. If they don’t resign Correa and the owner is talking about shareholder value than it signals to me the decision was more about profits than the risk of being able to field a competitive team in the future. As fan I don’t think anyone should like that.

Jake Tower, DVauthrin and Major like this.
  20. raining threes

Depends on if Crane spends the Correa money on both SP and RP. If he does this then there's no reason to be upset with Crane. Lack of SP cost the Stros a ring.IMHO

jiggyfly likes this.