1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario Elie For Backup SG???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LAfadeaway33, Jul 21, 2002.

1. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

he could play the role of a charles jone type who would come in and play defence every once in a while when needed. a fan favorite who is respected and could teach some D while hes at it. bring back him AND hakeem and man the ticket sales would be through the roof.

theres a quote that says to know where youre going, you first have to know where you came from....;)

2. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I agree that Elie would make perfect sense for this team. He only needs about 14-16 minutes a game but he is an aggresive defender and can hit the three. He likely wants to play close to home, so Houston would be a perfect fit for him.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't know about Kenny but if we got rid of either KT or Mo I would be all for bringing in OT.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Before you guys go nutty (oh, wait, you already did! :) ), Mario has no intentions of playing next season. He will very likely be an assistant coach with either the Warriors or Nuggets depending on who gets those jobs. If he doesn't get an assistant job, he'll end up doing some of the Rockets broadcasts and very likely some of the TNT broadcasts. He is very interested in broadcasting, but wants to be an assistant coach as well. If Drexler or Mullin get gigs as coaches, expect Elie to be an assistant for one of them.

This is very solid info I heard over a month ago.

What we need is a Mario Elie-type player. The original is done playing.

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

Adrian Griffin. 6'5" 215lb swingman. Played in the CBA, USBL and Italian League. Can hit a few threes. Plays defense.

Wonder what it would take to get him out of Dallas.

6. TraJ

TraJ Member

Correct me if I'm wrong: Mario's prowess as a defender diminished when the rules about handchecking were changed. So did Derek Harper's, so we shouldn't pick him up either. :)