1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mario Elie For Backup SG???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LAfadeaway33, Jul 21, 2002.

1. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

At the beginning of last season, I seem to remember Elie doing an interview and saying he was surprised no one had picked him up for the season and was interested in playing. I'm not sure if his position changed but I think he would fit in well with the Rockets at sg. He would come pretty cheep and he's a savy veteran. He's got shooting range and hard nosed D. I don't see why we couldn't sign him to a small contract to play 10 minutes a game. He could be very productive. It would be kind of nice to have someone who's won before and knows what it takes to win.

2. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

no, He's too old...

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Ellie would be a perfect addition. He's just the kind of tough, veteran role player the Rockets need. I would LOVE to see the Rockets pull a Kevin Willis and sign Mario to a one-year deal. We could get a quality 10 minutes out of him every game.

4. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Didn't he leave Houston on bad terms with Rudy or something?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly. And he acted like an ass in at least one game against the Rockets afterwards. It is not going to happen.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Mario was at first upset about being included in trade talks with the Raptors for Damon Stoudemire and then we decided not to sign him once we got Pippen and he had a game winning three for SA and blew our bench a kiss. He did act like an ass but I'm sure if Rudy and CD came and talked to him, they could make up and he would probably be happy to just be invited to camp for an NBA team. It's not like anyone else wants him.

7. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

No one else is interested in him because he's not any good anymore.

8. off_welfare

off_welfare Member

Mario Smellie is a has been :mad:

9. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Mario was one of my favorite players, way back when, in the Clutch City ERA, oh so long ago ! Aged players such as Ellie,Hakeem and Willis have had their day! This is a new Era with new players, new stars, new plays, new Rules and a new Stadium. Although I would like to see H.O. as adviser/coach for big big men on our team!! Retired players of the Rox. should be more active in the life of our club!

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

3 words: turn the page

11. Old School

Old School Member

Go away.

os

12. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I would like him but he has been a total ass. Besides I honestly do not believe that we have a roster spot for him. I mean what are you going to do cut Oscar Torres for him I don't think so. It would be nice but I think that it is not worth it know what I mean?

13. Elie#17

Elie#17 Contributing Member

who's been a complete ass?!?!?!! I'm no ASS!

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

While we're at it, why don't we bring back Sleepy Floyd?

15. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

What's with all the negativity towards Mario Elie. He would be a great addition to the Rockets.

He left 4 years ago, time heals all wounds. Besides, it is clear that Mario's fav team is the Rockets because he did some post game stuff with Lisa Malosky last year.

He is right up there in age with Kevin Willis, but it seems like everyone would be OK if Kev came back. Whatever.

First of all, Elie is a better chemistry player than Willis. he can hit clutch shots unlike Willis. He plays better defense than Willis. And he is a great foul shooter.

Elie would be a perfect fit because he can also play the 3. You know Glen Rice will somehow get hurt this upcoming season, and then that will only leave Nachbar and (gulp) Torres, who has the attitude of a kitten. Elie can also spell Cat Mobley.

Don't turn on the guy who helped the Rockets win two rings, on the guy who had a section all about him when clutchcity.net first started.

#15 JBIIRockets, Jul 21, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2002
  16. knifejc

knifejc Member

Thanks but no thanks. Elie was one of my favs as well but we don't need him.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He was a tough hard nose clutch player but he gave up on the team when things started getting bad.
    I don't want him back.

18. jbond77

jbond77 Contributing Member

I also agree with ZRB and think Mario Elie would be a great peice for this young team. One with get a clutch three at the shooting guard, second we get defense and third we get a veteren to jell wiht the re-emergence of glen rice this season and help the youngsters along the way to a championship in the new arena...

Mario realistically makes more sense barring a sign and trade with Seattle then getting Rashard.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Vets like Elie are a perfect addition if they can improve the play of our nostalgic posters. If his play could add 10 quality posts per game, I'm down.

20. Old School

Old School Member

Let's bring back Kenny Smith and Otis Thorpe while we are at it.

os