1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Smart has met with the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, May 15, 2014.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

*Take with grain of salt since it is Alex Kennedy.

[I'm not a big fan of Kennedy at all, because i feel he just regurgitates already known info and passes it along as his own. He does have some sources though, although he's nowhere as legit as the big names. Anyways, I couldn't find another source for this, or else I would have used the original source]

But here it goes :

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcus Smart has met with the Houston Rockets, Toronto Raptors, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns and Denver Nuggets.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/statuses/466971132424241153">May 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is interesting. The Rockets have the 25th pick in the draft. Marcus Smart is going to be a lottery pick, and most likely in the 5th-10th category. Why would he meet with the Rockets unless the Rockets are interested in trading up? He also met with the Raptors, which is strange, but perhaps they're thinking about trading up if they lose Kyle Lowry.

I would give up Parsons if it meant drafting Marcus Smart.

2. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

meet to scout, rockets scout everybody.

3. Swishh

Swishh Member

Does it make sense to scout someone that you have no chance at getting?

--------

Oh, and I found another source as well - wish I could have posted his tweet instead of Alex Kennedy. (Mods change please?)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marcus Smart says he has met w Suns and Rockets, and will meet w more inc Magic, Celtics and Jazz.</p>&mdash; Sean Deveney (@SeanDeveney) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanDeveney/statuses/466968967865962496">May 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

we are ALWAYS trying to move up in the draft, and we never succeed.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

IB4 the "It's Happening" gif...:eek:

6. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

yes it does

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

can you explain why?

(side note - it will take more than parsons to get the lottery pick done, but he'd have to be the main piece)

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Your question implies that if we do not get Smart in the draft we will not get him later on.

The Rockets have a history of picking up lottery players a year or two into their careers, although we haven't had much success with that.

9. bobloblaw

Disagreed. Parsons is worth a 10-15 with no one included.

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I guess you didn't watch the tournament.

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps they want to meet with hint to see if it is even worth their while to try and trade up in the draft to get him. Guys fall all the time. If he fell to 12 or so, maybe the Rockets consider moving up.

Nothing wrong with making plans.

12. FeaR

FeaR Member

Rockets want data. They do it every year. Also, no one will give us a lottery pick, let alone a top 10 Pick. Maybe if we traded Harden(as everyone here want :p) would net us a top 5.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There is no reason to believe that Kennedy isn't at the combine himself as technically he does have a media pass. In that case I dont see why it would be that hard for Kennedy to find out who the Rockets are interviewing.

The Rockets interview just about anyone they can as long as it doesn't give away anything too obvious (I remember them NOT interviewing Marcus Morris on purpose I believe cause they didn't want to give anything away). Usually there is no rhyme or reason behind it other than knowing that the Rockets have interest in him whether it be now or in 3 years when he might come available (remember Thomas Robinson came available only months into his rookie season).

Are the Rockets wanting to move down in the draft to get Marcus Smart..... Well.... Duh. Of course. Why wouldn't they.

Will they try.... probably.

Will they be successful.... highly unlikely without giving up James Harden, Dwight, or Chandler Parsons.

However, there is an oft chance that like with Kawhi Leonard and the Spurs, maybe he falls back to late in the lottery for some reason, and the Rockets pull of a trade to move up and get him.

The Rockets are DEFINITELY going to be active in the next 30 days to put themselves in position to have the OPPORTUNITY to do a number of different things leading up to free agency. What they do on draft night could be a big part of their end goals. It would be crazy to think that the Rockets would only be focused on the 23rd pick in the draft, and the pick they are getting in the 2nd round. Like always, there are alot of spinning plates, that ultimately have something to do with getting them closer to their ultimate goal.

14. bobloblaw

Where is this consensus coming from? It would not take Harden or Howard to move up into the draft once the picks have been slotted. Have you guys looked at recent drafts? Absurd. There are only 2-3 players that are drafted a year that would even be considered in trade talks for Howard or Harden.

15. dobro1229

And by the way, if for some reason lets say Morey pulled off a trade-

(lets say TJones, & the 23rd pick to move up to 14th spot & Smart falls back due to a rumor about smoking weed or something like that)

Could you think of a player out there that would be able to come right in and fit with this group better than Smart?

-Gets to the paint for a living
    -Low turnover % for an attacking guard
    -plays well with pace
    -Excellent body
    -great defensive potential to take tougher assignment in back court
    -seasoned player whose played in big moments

cons-
    -Jump shot needs work
    -has shown temperament issues

Coming into training camp, even despite not having a consistent jumper, probably separates himself fairly easily from the rest of the pack of PG's. Its a pipe dream to think about acquiring the rights to draft him, but you never know when it comes to draft night. Players fall all the time for dumb reasons. So even though its highly unlikely, I wouldn't say its 100% impossible to see Morey at least trying to kick the tires on moving up to get him somehow if they can.

16. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I would love Marcus Smart

17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Why is anyone doubting Kennedy on that one? This is no top secret info and I'm sure all insiders, journalists have access to that info. Plus, Agents love to leak info to raise the stocks of their athletes.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Plus, he is a poor FT shooter. So he'd fit in that way too.

19. dobro1229

Lottery picks are pretty much gold inside the top 5. In this draft especially the team drafting these guys will sell their fan base on this player being the next great superstar. Tanking for years to get the opportunity at one of these players in order to trade him on draft night for a role player type would be considered a fire-able offense for GM's.

However, as I mentioned, there is an unlikely possibility of a player that is currently listed as a top 5 pick slipping for some reason or another to a spot where Morey might be able to make a trade to get in the teens.

In that situation you need to find the right type of team to trade with that doesn't need high upside talent as much as they need good solid players. That's rare to find, but you MIGHT have one this year with Minnesota at 13, Phoenix at 14, and the Bulls at 16 (due to the Melo chase & needing to preserve cap space, this pick could get interesting).

However you look in the top 12 and all of those teams would be dumb to NOT take a swing at high upside young players. No way Morey is getting inside the top 12 this year unless some crazy stuff happens.

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Marcus Smart played his way OUT of the lottery this yeaR, no way is he a 5-10 pick. He should be available around the rockets pick. But I think he is garbage anyway