1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Mariota back in play?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Dec 18, 2013.

1. newAge_Rockets

Mack Brown is also available

Can you say dynasty?

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

isnt there a stat that shows mariota makes far more passes behind the LOS than bridgewater??

3. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

of course he would, they play in a high tempo spread offense

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He is showing his arm in the 2nd half.

5. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Aren't all passes made behind the LOS?

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

completions to recievers behind the LoS

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't know if there's a stat but it is very apparent in the games I watched. That being said the kid is the best running QB by far and he is pretty accurat and has plenty of arm strength. I still rank Bridgewater over him because he is just more ready to step in and play. But I would be pretty confident in Mariota figuring how to play the pro game and probably being very good at it.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

One of Mariota's strengths is going through progressions. That's why he threw so few picks. He never forced it if the guy wasn't open. He checked down to the next guy.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What's the latest on his availability for this upcoming draft?

10. Old Man Rock

As of tonight he still says he is going back. I doubt he changes his mind.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Glad he is going back to college.

He needs to get healthy and prove he can stay healthy.

I'd be concerned with all that running around if he was my QB. It's one thing to be mobile and be able to escape the blitz and scramble, its another to play like your a RB, which I saw a lot last night.

12. white lightning

Did you watch any of his other games this year? He ran last night because that's what the defense gave him. He read the defense correctly and ran for 10 yards at a time. I agree that he needs another year, but people who say that he is a system qb, or just a running qb need to watch him more.

13. Old Man Rock

I agree, after watching that game it made me think this kid will be a good NFL qb. He definitely doesn't have the pocket presence of Bridgewater but he showed more than I had seen previously.

I'd probably still take Bridgewater over him because he does now what I think Mariota may be able to do later and it's the old saying a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. But Mariota is a better runner and is pretty accurate with a better body size.

I think we will talking Bridgewater, Winston, Mariota and maybe even a little Manziel for many years to come.

14. Raven

Raven Member

He might go number one if he declares, that's a pretty strong incentive.

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

yea and when his leg was dinged up he had no resistance passing so it seems like it wasnt "what the defense was giving him." more of them just running their typical offense until he got hurt..

16. white lightning

I don't really understand what you are saying here. What is no resistance passing?

17. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

meaning the defense wasnt stopping him either way.. so this taking whatever the defense gave him idea was bs..

18. white lightning

He had many more rushing attempts in the first half than were typical for the year. In fact, he had more attempts in just the first half than he did in several full games. He was getting 10+ yards per rush. This is what the defense was giving them. They were keying on the backs and leaving him without a spy. The Ducks offense is primarily run-oriented. When the defense is giving up the run, you take it. He had plenty of games with ridiculous passing numbers. People seem to forget that he was the leading Heisman candidate before his injury. He can throw all of the passes. The only weakness in his passing game that I've seen is he occasionally overthrows deep routes, especially if he is on the run. I would put his decision making in the pocket against anyone in the country.

19. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Nag, I think I'll just blame you Rick Smith:p