1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Mariota back in play?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Dec 18, 2013.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We picked the wrong year to tank. Wouldn't surprise me if the Titans tanked next year and draft Winston. Would be par for the course in texans history

2. SevenMinuteAbs

So NFL qbs don't get playcalls from the sidelines...? News to me.

He's the best QB in the country. Not even a question.

As for Mariota vs Teddy, I think Mariota definitely has a higher ceiling. 6'4-6'5 running a 4.4 forty is very very tempting. I think the best thing about him is that he isn't a risk taker. If something is not there he more often than not will not force it. When he runs he runs smart, if somethings there he'll take it, if not he'll go out of bounds.
    I think his floor is Alex Smith and his ceiling is Kaepernick.

I think Teddy is more NFL ready. Doesn't have the physical attributes, but can definitely read defenses well and has a good arm. I don't know if he has the gun that aaron rodgers does, but i think he could turn out to be a poor mans aaron rodgers, which i would love.

I'd be happy with either player. I'd also be happy taking a defender or O line and then trading the house for Jameis next yr if things don't work out.

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Looks like he might need some contact lenses or something. Imagine how good he could be if he could actually see.

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is a thread about Mariota and Winston is not even an option this year but since he keeps coming up and people say Bridgewater is not even close to him I’ll bite.

First let’s make it clear Winston IMO is a better prospect than Andrew Luck . Winston has the size as a freshman that some current NFL QB’s wish they possessed. Anyone argues that he does not have Bridgewater beat in this area is fooling themselves. He is a physical specimen that is not just big but he is strong and can run over guys trying to tackle him. I think Bridgewater is quicker but it’s close and Winston pummel tacklers.

Second he has an arm and throws a bullet like few in the NFL now. He has a stronger arm than Bridgewater no question. I haven’t seen Winston throw longer passes than Bridgewater downfield but the velocity on his midrange passes just looks more powerful than Bridgewater. No clock on it but visually it’s hard to argue that Winston’s arm is stronger.

Anyone says that those aren’t important attributes that you need in an NFL QB again are fooling themselves. That being said they are not the only important attributes and Bridgwater is no slouch in those areas as well. Bridgewater has a strong arm and can throw a pass with a lot of zip on it. As for Bridgewater’s size, he’s a late bloomer. He started his freshman year 20 pounds lighter than Winston and has since added 50+ pounds. And he doesn’t look like he has stopped growing at all. The same could be said for Winston who looks closer to 240 than 230.

As for his height he is an inch shorter but if you look at his neck he loses that inch or 2 right there. Bridgewater has little neck and what he has is thick. The kind of neck you see on a running back. So the height is negligible plus he has very long arms . That’s been reported but just watching him his arms look longer than Winston’s and would explain why he rarely gets balls tipped at the line.

So while it is clear overall that Winston has the edge physically he can run like a fullback and throw stronger. But the difference is not as big as some might suggest. But that’s were the edge for Winston mostly ends.

Bridgewater is probably a hair faster and can run strong albeit not as strong as Winston. Bridgewater is more accurate and consistent than Winston. Bridgewater can throw with more accuracy on the run than Winston. Bridgewater runs more snaps under center and shows quicker feet in setting up and excellent maneuverability in the pocket. He just is better in the pocket.

Bridgewater has a better feel for pass rushers and does a nice job stepping up in the pocket which allows to stay in the pocket longer than Winston. Clearly he was under more pressure with a weaker O-Line than Winston and yet he got sacked less even though he threw more.

Bridgewater is a better pre snap decision maker. I will admit I am not an expert in this area but just some of his pre snap decision were so obvious. Bridgewater shows more poise and has a better ability to read the field and go through his progressions and find the open receiver.

Bridgewater whilenot as strong a passer he can throw with velocity into small windows but what he does posses more of is an ability to vary the speed and touch on his passes better than Winston and he leads his passes better usually putting the ball in a place where his recievers can run with it after they catch it. Winston is very good at this too but edge Bridgewatetr.

And now let’s talk about his intangibles. Bridgewater is a student of the game. He has a high football IQ. He is mature beyond his years and he just gets better under pressure.

The more I learn about Teddy the more I am impressed. But I didn’t start off that way. I watched a lot of Manziel and as are odds increased I the chance of drafting high I was hopeful we would get a shot at him. Even now I still think Manziel is too talented not to make it in the NFL. My problem with him is what he does best is create plays on the run and I am convinced sooner or later he will be injured. As I looked at the other QB’s, Mariota and McCarron primarily I thought okay these are options but then I looked at Bridgewater.

Let me apologize first because for whatever reason I came in with some preconceived idea that Bridgewater was going to be this great athletic QB that didn’t have the football IQ to make it. It’s a stupid stereotype and one I was very wrong to have. After watching just a little video of him it became clear to me that Teddy Bridgewater is just a great quarterback period.

I am not taking anything away from Winston he is an amazing athlete with a high football IQ as well and what he is doing as a freshman is even more amazing but lets also keep it real. Winston is playing behind a much better offensive line with a much much better running attack against only marginally better competition and while he is a freshman he is only one year younger than Teddy.

Yes he is amazing freshman and yes it is highly likely he will continue to improve and be the better quarterback and maybe even much better QB but if you ask me today who is the better QB, overall I give the edge to Bridgewater. Of course that edge is slim but remember Winston IMO is a better prospect than Andrew Luck so if you at least acknowledge that Winston and Bridgewater are close than how can you pass on Bridgewater.

#84 Old Man Rock, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im sorry if I derailed the thread by bringing up Winston. I just feel that as gifted as the kid is, he gets ALOT of help from the other NFL talent on his team. I wonder what Teddy would look like with a competent OLine and NFL caliber receivers. Not to try and knock Winston, but to shine a light on what Teddy has done with less than ideal talent surrounding him. Would Winston have the same numbers on the Louisville team?

On topic, I really like Mariota, he is the next generation quarterback, but IMO the spread attack has already been neutralized to a certain extent in the NFL. Obviously there will be instances where certain formations will produce a big play, consistently I dont see that type of offense winning long term. I dont doubt that Mariota can adjust to a pro style offense, just that you cant maximize his skill set doing so.

6. SevenMinuteAbs

This might sound crazy, but I think bridgewater having longer arms than Winston might be an optical illusion because the cut of their jerseys are significantly different.

7. Old Man Rock

Mariota looks good running the ball so far against texas.

8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Definitely.

They're shooting themselves in the foot on offense, though.

9. Old Man Rock

Nice Shuffle pass. That's a skill that can be useful on the next level.

10. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

everyting about this kids game screams gimmick.. this is the kid you guys love over bridgewater?? he gets the ball in shot gun takes off running, draws the defense, then pitches the football to the open guy.. this last drive he completed a pass, threw one into the dirt, but everything else has been read option, run first stuff that you guys claim you hate..

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He hasn't had to pass in this game. He has a great arm.

12. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

He's definitely a great athlete and has awesome escapability, but I'd like to see him complete some tough passes. Of course, his offense is really all about getting the ball quickly to a wide-open man, so he hasn't really had much opportunity to display that type of ability.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHA

You're still using the shuffle pass metric as an NFL evaluation technique? How does his shuffle pass rate compare to Peyton Manning's? Tell me more

14. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Bridgewater >> Mariota

and it's not even close.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

About a month ago, I was all about Mariota, but after watching his film more closely, I realized he does nothing that is really that impressive. He can run the ball extremely well, but from a QB standpoint, he's not forced to do much. His receivers are wide open, he typically has a lot of time to throw the ball, etc... He may be a good pro, but he will have to go through a very difficult transition to get to that point, whereas a player like Bridgewater is more pro-ready.

I'd definitely take Bridgewater in a heartbeat over Mariota...something I wouldnt have said last month.

16. Old Man Rock

you are so r****ded... :grin:

17. platypus

platypus Member

I will never trust a spread offense QB to run an NFL offense. They simply haven't had the opportunity to go through progressions or develop pocket presence.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hey guise what about Case McCoy? I think he a good ball play. Can b real gud for the texxan

19. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Now THAT was impressive. Nice pocket presence and a perfect laser pass to the sideline. He definitely has upside but still needs much, much more work in a pro-style offense.

20. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

only if we sign his brudder