1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Mariota back in play?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Dec 18, 2013.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

No doubt, I would too...I was just alluding to the previous poster wondering why Winston gets so much love.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What makes you say that?

3. rezdawg

Well, all that stuff about a player becoming a student of the game, etc...That's what teams evaluate during the combine. Mariotta probably didnt deal with changing plays on a regular basis, but Im sure he reads defenses. Like Ive mentioned, I think all the talk about reading plays and making adjustments is a little over exaggerated...yes, its important and cool, but most QBs should be able to do so. Bridgewater could have all the skill in that department as possible, but if he played for Kubiak, his ability to change plays and make adjustments goes out the window.

What is more important than anything is the kind of coaching these players receive once they go to the NFL...It's great that Bridgewater has shown he has some mental ability, but I wouldnt knock a Mariotta or Winston because we assume they dont know how to read defenses...Im sure they do and with enough coaching and experience, Im sure they can learn.

4. rezdawg

Would be interesting to see the scores from all these QBs...based on all the intelligence talk, I'd expect the Bridgewater score to be higher than the rest.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

because I'd think a smarter qb would be preferable

duh

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yo know the answer to this question.

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Sounds like a great way for us to return to competitiveness, but I don't know if we'll ever be great. When it comes to QB it really is just one of those situations where if you don't have a great one it's hard to win it all. Bridgewater won't have the measurables of a Cam Newton or Andrew Luck, but if the pocket awareness is there, if the clutch decision-making is there, then our potential with him will be much greater than it would be with Clowney, or even Mariota.

I listened to Lance and JVG on the radio this morning, and I guess I too am just tired of the mediocrity.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

well, they have the Senior Bowl, and that sometimes help, but its I think is not enough.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Injuries would be the main obstacle for allowing these types of things.

No one wants to go from being the potential #1 overall pick to a 2nd round fodder due to a serious knee injury or potentially career ending injury against tough NFL competition.

Plus I'm sure the actual NFL guys like the time to recover between January and June/July for OTAs.

10. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Winston is head and shoulders above the rest of them. He gets so much love because he excels in areas QB's need to excel at. It also does not hurt that his dad was a coach and the kid has been bred to play QB. He grew up on a chalk/white board dissecting college and nfl defense's.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Yes, this is why he constantly has to get the play from the sideline just as any other freshman in the college ranks.

[​IMG]

He's not all the way there yet, but he's for sure got the physical tools.

There's no reason to bring him up in this thread anyway since he's nowhere near being able to declare for the draft this year.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So you're not interested in the scores of the other qb's? Just Teddy? Interesting

13. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Teddy will be better.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I do not know what the formal testing will show, but I can tell you that Teddy sees the field as well as anyone at the collegiate level in years. He seldom misses reads and he seldom fails to pick up coverages. It is really what his strength is.

You will hear people talk about his plus arm strength, but the issue for Teddy is physical not mental.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I also disagree with those people. I know they're highlights but check out the first throw. 50+ down field and Teddy still over-led his receiver to the spot, with a flick of a wrist and while under duress. I feel like he has a strong enough arm to make any throw down the field.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/br9-OACeru4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also you can see his innate ability to avoid pressure and get a pinpoint pass to his receiver 30-40 yards down field on another clip. Whether the guys are premier defenders or not on the opposing side he hasn't had a completely clean pocket to throw, yet he stays accurate and has enough arm strength to make the throws.

16. Nook

Nook Member

He absolutely has the arm strength to make every type of throw needed at the next level, I just feel that there is too much emphasis on the fact that he doesn't run a 4.3 forty and doesn't look like Adonis. The truth is, he "gets it", he sees the field so well and he can read defenses at an advanced level...... I will take that over someone stronger, or faster than Teddy.

17. Genesis

Genesis Contributing Member

Any new word on if he's changing his mind? Last I've read, he asked for nfl grade but still committed to going back to school.

18. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

--------------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...inston-projects-as-no-1-draft-choice/4135049/

"He'd be the first pick in the draft. I can say that unequivocally, because he does have the traits," Angelo, a 31-year scouting veteran who was the Chicago Bears GM from the 2001 to '11 seasons, told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "But it's the one position that (is different)

"He is the most NFL-ready quarterback that I've had the privilege of preparing for," a defensive coach for a team that faced Winston told USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity for competitive reasons. "I'm not saying he's Peyton Manning, but he's pretty darn close, man."

--------------------

Winston rated as the best quarterback in the country per opponent-adjusted QBR (he has a 90.9 mark heading into the BCS title game against Auburn). He excelled in a couple of different areas.

He completed 62 percent of his passes, with eight touchdowns and 15 plays of 20 or more yards, when throwing under pressure. Those all ranked best among quarterbacks in automatic-qualifier (AQ) conferences.

Winston's numbers were even better against five or more pass-rushers, with a 70 percent completion percentage and 20 touchdown throws.

Winston was great on third down, with a 98.9 Total QBR, matching Stanford's Andrew Luck (2010) for the best within the 10 seasons for which we have data.

Florida State averaged 8.1 yards per play with Winston under center, best among AQ quarterbacks. The Seminoles scored a touchdown on 55 percent of their drives that Winston quarterbacked. The FBS average is 27 percent.

------------

Jameis Winston will recieve a 99 draft grade from multiple scouting sites, maybe a 98 based on the sexual assualt that allegedly happened, he is quite simply a prodigy and the best qb pro prospect since Peyton/Elway.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jqXEpHMDVi8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Best college qb I've seen since Peyton and its not close.

20. rezdawg

Regarding arm strength in regards to how far a QB can throw...all NFL QBs can throw the ball 55+ yards (yes, Matt Schaub included)...so that really doesnt matter. What's important in regards to arm strength is how fast you can throw it on a line, 20-25 yards downfield.

And not that Winston's name even matters for the draft, but it is a little annoying when the Pro-Bridgewater people try to downplay or knock Winston's game...Winston is a complete total package stud.