1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby's next contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jopatmc, May 10, 2012.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Will he re-sign here for vet minimum for 3 seasons?

What kind of contract would he get in free agency?

What kind of money will Morey value him at?

What is he actually worth on this team?

I think it's an interesting situation. In my opinion, if we don't acquire a top-notch big man, then Camby is probably the best available option for next season over Dally or just about anyone available in free agency.

In my mind, Camby's value to us fluctuates greatly depending on what other centers we bring in. I'd rather have Camby start for us for the MLE for 3 seasons over taking the risk of McGee and paying him $10-14 million over the next 4 seasons. I'd rather have Camby at the MLE than to sign Caveman for $40 million. Oh, if we got Asik at MLE (which is the most he can make) then I think Camby at MLE or less makes a lot of sense for 3 years. And if we got Dwight, I would hope Camby would be interested in the vet minimum to play for his hometown team making championship runs.

Interesting situation. His cap hold is somewhere around $11 million I believe. We can't keep that. Gotta renounce him and then see how much money he will take to stay here. I'm actually hoping he takes the vet minimum or something around $10 million over 3 seasons.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If he doesn't resign for < $3 million per I don't want him here. It also has to be a secondary signing. If we land Howard, signing Camby is key but if we don't get Howard we should go young and let Camby walk.

3. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Would like to sign him for just 2 years, but either way, Camby at best will be a back up or aiding in the development of a young C that will take his place in the near future.

4. Red&BlackPudman

We need to sign Camby and make it a priority

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Given the Rockets salary cap situation, they cannot really afford to pay Camby much without hurting their chances of having a shot a some of the higher value free agents (i.e. guys projected to make $8 mil, $9 mil, up to the max) or have significant cap space with which to facilitate a trade. Camby is nice, but it is not worth sacrificing your options in acquiring a true impact player (at less than 39-years-old) in order to retain him. So, I very much doubt that they sign Camby to a significant contract.

Rockets salary info table here:
    <style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Name</th><th>Notes</th><th>2011-12</th><th>2012-13</th><th>2013-14</th><th>2014-15</th><th>2015-16</th><th>&nbsp;</th><th>&nbsp;</th></tr> <tr><td>Kevin Martin</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$11,519,840</td><td>$12,439,675</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Luis Scola</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$8,591,793</td><td>$9,408,207</td><td>$10,224,622</td><td>$11,041,037 </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Samuel Dalembert</td><td>Waived</td><td>$7,000,000</td><td>$1,500,000</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Kyle Lowry</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$5,750,000</td><td>$5,750,000</td><td>$6,210,000</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Courtney Lee</td><td>Cap Hold</td><td>$2,225,093</td><td>$5,560,000</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Goran Dragic</td><td>Cap Hold</td><td>$2,108,000</td><td>$4,010,000</td><td> </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Patrick Patterson</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,959,960</td><td>$2,096,760</td><td>$3,105,302</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Marcus Morris</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,823,280</td><td>$1,905,360</td><td>$1,987,320</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Chase Budinger</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$854,389</td><td>$885,120</td><td> </td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Chandler Parsons</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$850,000</td><td>$888,250</td><td>$926,500</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Greg Smith</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$473,604</td><td>$762,195</td><td>$854,389</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Derek Fisher</td><td>Waived</td><td>$3,400,000</td><td>$644,005</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Courtney Fortson</td><td>Waived</td><td>$473,604</td><td>$0</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Diamon Simpson</td><td>Waived</td><td>$473,604</td><td>$0</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Marcus Camby</td><td>Renounced</td><td>$11,071,500</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Earl Boykins</td><td>Renounced</td><td>$762,195</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>14th Pick</td><td>Cap Hold</td><td> </td><td>$1,519,400</td><td>$1,905,360</td><td>$1,987,320</td><td>$2,943,221</td><td> </td><td> </td></tr> <tr><td>16th Pick </td><td>Cap Hold</td><td> </td><td>$1,371,200</td><td>$1,719,480</td><td>$1,793,520</td><td>$2,751,260</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>Donatas Motiejunas </td><td>Cap Hold</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$1,134,500</td><td>$1,422,720</td><td>$1,483,920</td><td>$2,288,205</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>SUM</td><td>Add Lee/Dragic</td><td>$59,336,862</td><td>$49,874,672</td><td>$28,355,693</td><td>$16,305,797</td><td>$7,982,686</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td># of Players</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>15</td><td>13</td><td>9</td><td>4</td><td>3</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>&nbsp;</td></tr> <tr><td>$ below $58.04 mil Cap</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td>$(1,296,862)</td><td>$8,165,328</td><td>$29,684,307</td><td>$41,734,203</td><td>$50,057,314</td><td>&nbsp;</td><td></td></tr></table>

My guess is the Rockets' wish is that they be able to sign him to the $2.5 million/year "room exception" for teams have cap room and use them up. Don't know if it will be enough. Some contending team (Miami?) would for sure make him a target for their mid-level/mini-mid-level money. It's up to Camby whether he is willing to take a pay cut to stay home.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

If Marcus truly wants to play 20 years, he can sign a 2 or 3 year contract with a contender and then play his last year or two here.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Camby needs to be resigned for at the most two years. They also need to get a big man in the draft who could mentor under the vast amount of big men at his disposal here in Houston.
    If Dwight was smart(or any star for that matter)he would look to Houston. I'm just not betting on that anymore.

8. jopatmc

That makes the most sense. I'm still not familiar enough with the new CBA. But $2.5 per for 3 seasons would be great.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Dalembert made what 7mil last year?

Camby should be able to get something close to that. I know he lives in Pearland, but he would have to give the Rox a helluva hometown discount based on half of a season with the team and his houston residence. Those kind of sacrifices are usually reserved for a shot at a title which he won't get here. Lets just hope a contending team doesn't show up with money to spend.

10. Mariachi ROCKET

We sha'll wait and see....

11. gah

gah Member

I can see a team doubling that money in a Dalembert type deal (2 year deal), that would be commensurate to the way he played for us. Let's see how Morey works his magic.

12. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

9 mil. For 3 years.. 3 mil a year.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Camby's cap hold is about $16.6 million, which is 150% of his 2011-12 salary and not far from the maximum salary for a player with 10+ years of NBA experience.

Given the huge amount of his cap hold, the Rockets will likely not retain Camby's Bird rights unless either (a) they re-sign Camby before signing any outside free agents or (b) they opt not to use any cap room, opting instead to re-sign their free agents, make trades and sign outside free agents using salary cap exceptions (MLE, BAE).

The Room Exception only allows a contract with a maximum length of two years. For 2012-13, the Room Exception amount is $2.575 million. With the maximum 4.5% annual raise in Year 2 of the contract, the Rockets can offer Camby no more than a two-year deal worth a total of $5,265,875.

14. jopatmc

Will he take it?

15. onreego

onreego Member

Depends on how much he loves Houston and values being home. Also depends on if he sees this team being a contender within those years.

16. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I wouldn't if I were him. He can easily make more than that on a better team.

If I'm Morey, I'd be talking with Camby's agent ASAP to try to get a firm grasp of what Camby will be asking for in free agency. If the money is way above the Rockets' deemed "reasonable range", then move on and focus on other alternatives. If it's somewhere near that range, then the timing/urgency of re-signing Camby will become more material.

It would be silly to lose Camby simply because they didn't agree on a contract--at numbers that worked for both sides--until after the Rockets had to renounce Camby's rights to make another move that still could have been made had Camby previously signed that very same deal.

17. jopatmc

But he does want to stay in Houston. So, it's going to have to be a contender and for about the MLE to get him to leave, don't you think?

18. deshen

deshen Member

At his age, he either plays for vet min or is going to retire. I do not see there is any other option for him.

19. thething

thething Contributing Member

The thing that limits Camby's value is that he can't play more than 25 minutes a night anymore. He's too old.

That's why he was supposed to be the backup center of the future for us. Unfortunately, he's the best center we have, so he gets to start.

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Frankly, I don't know. I hope that's the case. But wishful thinking isn't going to get the Rockets' front office anywhere. DUE DILIGENCE is.

;)