1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby expected to sign with Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

It's more about being prepared when the right deal comes along, anticipating there will be offers.

Now if we do decide to trade either one, we have stopgap measures in Brooks and Camby in place to fill those roles.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

There is a movie? I chose that nickname when I was for a high school year in the states and they put on that Coke commercial soundtrack (everyone wants to be like Mike) when I got on the basketball court...

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much, the non-guaranteed guys including Greg Smith are on the chopping block. I think Covington and Smith are gone for sure though because there just isn't a need for them on the team.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>With signings of Garcia and Camby, Rockets will have 18 players under contract. Need to either make trade or cut someone they wanted to keep</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/361547617378906112">July 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Henriquez (NG'd) &amp; Young (only $40k g'teed) considered longshots for Rockets (signed more for Vipers rights), but HOU really likes Covington</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/361548414749642752">July 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can't say I'm excited about signing a 50 year old Camby.

Leadership is not really one of our weaknesses IMO.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's better than the Rockets current 3rd string center and that's what matters.

7. rocketblood713

I thought this was expected Camby comes back home and plays with contending team win win for Camby if u ask me

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Camby is insurance if/when someone gets hurt or we trade Asik at the deadline.

For that limited purpose this is a great signing.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does this mean we are going to trade Asik IMO?

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

We dont need to use a roster spot for a cheerleader, locker room presence, mentor, or general good guy. While these things are worthy as peripheral pluses, he must be able to contribute on the court. He played only 250 minutes for the Knicks I read. And while he passed his physical, this isn't indicative of regular season durability.

One has to assume that the Rockets brain trust thinks he can play. This doesn't make sense otherwise. Perhaps my fears are unfounded?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I still think someone would have to come with a crazy good deal to pry Asik from the Rockets this year. I look at Camby being an upgrade at the #3 center spot more than anything else. That depth could really come in handy if players get in foul trouble or if injuries happen. No one wanted to be forced to play Greg Smith at center.

12. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Thx, guys - totally forgot about Henriquez. I do wonder what this means for Smith. I wouldn't be all that sad to see him go, from a game perspective... but he's so damned enthusiastic/excited. :( Is choice between him and Covington at the 4 what it comes down to?

13. rocketblood713

maybe DM has some kind of deal in place already for Asik hes bout to pull another rabbit out the hat !

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep. 3 years and he hasn't grown much. I expect a trade if we're lucky

15. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Keep in mind that Camby wants to transition to coaching next summer. My guess is that the Rockets told Camby that if one of Sampson, Bickerstaff or Finch lands a head-coaching gig (all had interviews this year), he has a good shot at being next in line. McHale seemed to love his hoops IQ last year.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

18? Covington is the odd man out?

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't know what is in your opinion.

18. skyline07

skyline07 Member

makes sense

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not necessarily. There are several more guys with 1 year of guaranteed $ or less who can be cut with no impact on the team's flexibility: Young, Henriquez, Covington, Reggie Williams (50% guaranteed for 1 year), Brooks, and now Camby.

They can just let the training camp and preseason play out and decide which 3 guys to cut. Seems strange to cut guys they just signed to some guaranteed money but it is really not that big a deal. If, say, Reggie Williams or AB come in and don't look bad in training camp, it's not a big deal to let them go and just eat the money n

20. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Now, why is the Garcia contract not official? Something has got to give.