1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Camby expected to sign with Rockets today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 28, 2013.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes, I got it... Thank you for enlightening me.

As I said before, that was being somewhat sarcastic, but it shows that if they can joke about stuff like that, apparently they are on very good terms.

Obviously McHale isn't going to come out and proclaim that Aaron Brooks is his favorite player of all time, and give him an iron-on patch to put on his jersey. I doubt even Phil Jackson would come out and say that about Michael Jordan.

3. dobro1229

LOL. In DD's defense, he's actually been quite insightful and objective in his posts since he got back on the board. Basketballhollic must be his Tyler Durden alter ego persona that he finally gave another screen name to.

4. dobro1229

Haha....

I think he's onto something. Marcus Camby personally chose Houston over the Heat, and Bulls because he likes the challenge of beating out non-guaranteed undrafted rookies for the final roster spots. Screw winning a ring with Lebron next year.... I want to prove to everyone I can earn a roster spot in Houston's TRAINING CAMP this Fall instead.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hmm, I have no idea why this devolved into Aaron Brooks vs Covington, but here's my 2 cents:

*Nobody knows who'll stay on the roster, not even DM. I think it depends a lot if a deal is made and who performs well in preseason. Most of the posters here always on operate on a set path (ex. let's trade Asik for a PF, let's cut player X etc), but as the FO have shown time and time again they always prefer getting anyone who might prove useful and then employ a wait-and-see approach.

*If we base it just strictly on "value" though, I see no reason why Covington is ranked higher than Brooks. Sure the Rox might like his game, but at the end of the day Covington is still a player nobody has ever heard off, while Brooks is a seasoned vet who was a former MIP. I honestly have no idea why Brooks would settle for an NBA minimum salary with the Rox, but honestly getting him as the 15th guy is way too much of a steal to pass him up.

*Regarding Camby, almost everyone has him penciled in as the backup C, but IMHO he would be better served as the starter PF. Camby's game relies more on opportunistic chances, baby Js and short jumpers rather than the traditional back-to-the-basket play. I think that makes him the ideal PF next to either DH or Asik, we'll have a beastly frontcourt, esp. if either Dmo or Tjones develops into good backups.

1 person likes this.
  6. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

You had me until the wacky Camby as the starting PF spiel.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

The obvious cuts are going to be Covington, Young, and Henriquez. Smith will probably get playing time early on in the season to be show-cased and then flipped for future assets (Picks, young prospects). I could also see a potential package deal of Brooks + Smith + filler (Cassipi, Williams) + a 2nd? for a swing man coming of the bench. Maybe from the Celtics for a Marshon Brooks type player if he isn't getting PT still (Celts have a lot of good guards in Lee, Bradley, etc). Basically a typical buy-low Morey type trade.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why would anyone give us "picks and young prospects" for a half a season rental of Greg Smith?

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not that wacky, first of all what exactly do we need from the PF?
    IMHO it would:

1) Cap friendly
    2) Can hit Js to provide spacing
    3) Isn't a defensive liability
    4) Can be take advantage of DH and Harden double teams
    5) Can rebound

A lot of people here are playing with the idea of a DH/Asik twin tower, well Camby is pretty much Asik with a working J. Camby has high bball IQ and can pass the ball around as well as anyone, he's a guy who can drive to the hoop for gimmes, hit a couple mid-range Js while staying out of the way of DH and Harden.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He's damn near 40 years old, man! Maybe CambyMan will have a "medical miracle" and stay injury free and productive when he gets minutes. I'd be thrilled with that, and so should you.

11. NotChandlerParsons

Camby is very slow footed at this point in his life.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he's too old to be a starter

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

He doesn't need to have a medical miracle if he plays the PF spot, DH's pfs absorb less contact than being a backup C. Production was never really a problem with Camby, it's his health that always limited his play time on the court. The guy's lost a lot of his athleticism over the years, but honestly big men have become so pathetic Camby remains a very good player due to his size, smarts and skills. Rather than having him banging bodies with no names, I think it'd be more effective to have him on the court in a support role with DH and Harden taking majority of the load.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You're expecting way too much from the guy. All I care about is that he's healthy. He can help us if he's healthy.

15. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Pfft . . . Forty years is nothing. I say we make him the first 40 and 40 player ever. 40 years old and 40 minutes a game! Camby is a sick player! I remember him at UMass tearing **** up. I can't wait.

TODO: Insert 'It's happning GIF'

16. PatBeverleyFan

He sucks in NBA2K. Hope that ain't a reflection of how he plays in real life :-(

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First, I don't think Camby is quick enough to guard most PFs anymore. You don't want him to be chasing the likes of Paul Millsap or Ryan Anderson around the court especially.

Second, similar to Mutombo when he was a Rocket, you probably only want to use Camby for, say, 10-15 minutes max each game for maybe 40-50 games in a season tops. Any more than this and he's likely to get injured. Preferably you use Camby even less during the regular season if you can help it. At this age, he is really a "break glass only in case of emergency" guy.

I remember when Yao got injured and Mutombo had to become a starter and play 25-30 minutes a night back in the days. Mutombo would do well but you get reports of knee problems, groin soreness and what not and Deke himself would go down in 15-20 games.

Camby's body is likely in a similar state-- Might be able to play 25 minutes in a pinch for a while, but you don't want to play him regular starter or sixth man minutes for a long stretch and risk having him burned out before you really need him (in the case of a trade or injury or when you need some veteran experience in a playoff matchup).

The team should be able to find one or two competent enough guys to fill the PF minutes from among Jones, Motiejunas, Casspi, Smith, Parsons and Covington. They don't have to be stars or even average starters to get the Rockets into the playoffs or even land a top 4 seed. So, even if Camby could play the 4 still (which I doubt-- given that there are questions as to how well he can even play the 5 at this stage), why would you burn his body on those regular season grind minutes?

18. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I could see Morey doing a Smith, Williams, and cash for Lee and a 2nd rounder. But thats the most you could probably get for a Greg Smith package.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So you are essentially agreeing with me. ;-)-

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yes, I am.